Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Retro City Rampage

Game » consists of 36 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

An action-packed, deliberately-retro parody of video games and pop culture from the era of 8-bit game consoles, Retro City Rampage is a nostalgic twist on the mass-mayhem open-world action of Grand Theft Auto.

playing on old school tvs

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By yellownumber5

In my situation, I have been temporarily left without an HD television. I have found an old tube tv in the attic, and have immediately decided to plug my PS3 into it and download Retro City Rampage. I am pleased to report that the game feels natural within this format. I have even chosen to play this game without plugging it into my sound system, and instead just using the speakers off of the tv. There is one thing that should be taken notice. The sprites in this game are tiny compared to what its implied legacy represent. There is a lot of dot crawl and rainbowing effects, but these artifacts were commonplace before the invention of the LCD tv. Do not be mistaken at all that this game could have ever been released in the late 80's/early 90's, but still, playing from an old school set, it feels almost too appropriate. If someone has an old tv lying around, especially if you have an old composite to RF converter, I would try and load up this game. It is apparent that enough care was put into it to make it playable on even the most nostalgic of sets.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BestUsernameEver

There's no point if the game has an amazing Bit.trip TV skin.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By yellownumber5

@BestUsernameEver: That is the sacrifice, that there are no skins on SD. It does however give it more "authenticity" when on SD without the effect of skins.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@yellownumber5 said:

@BestUsernameEver: That is the sacrifice, that there are no skins on SD. It does however give it more "authenticity" when on SD without the effect of skins.

Oh wow, that's pretty strange. Honestly, for what the game is going for, playing on a really old TV would really bump up the experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.