Retro City Rampage’s Coming to PS3 and Vita, Too

Posted by patrickklepek (2212 posts) -
How can you not want to play this game? You're not human, that's what.

It seems like we’ve been waiting forever for Retro City Rampage, a ridiculous looking hodgepodge of throwbacks to classic video games all taking place in a Grand Theft Auto-style open world.

The end appears to be in sight, however, and that end includes two new platforms: PlayStation 3 and Vita.

In a post on the PlayStation Blog, designer Brian Provinciano was glowing about his experience working with Sony on bringing Retro City Rampage to the company’s platforms, especially Vita.

“The PS Vita has been a dream to develop for as well,” he said. “I’ve developed for every console and handheld from the past decade, and the PS Vita’s development system is the best I’ve ever used.”

Of course, we still don’t have a release date, but I’m told it’s finally, honestly not far off, and it’s still coming to a bunch of other platforms: WiiWare (!), Xbox Live Arcade, and PC (on Steam, naturally).

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2212 posts) -
How can you not want to play this game? You're not human, that's what.

It seems like we’ve been waiting forever for Retro City Rampage, a ridiculous looking hodgepodge of throwbacks to classic video games all taking place in a Grand Theft Auto-style open world.

The end appears to be in sight, however, and that end includes two new platforms: PlayStation 3 and Vita.

In a post on the PlayStation Blog, designer Brian Provinciano was glowing about his experience working with Sony on bringing Retro City Rampage to the company’s platforms, especially Vita.

“The PS Vita has been a dream to develop for as well,” he said. “I’ve developed for every console and handheld from the past decade, and the PS Vita’s development system is the best I’ve ever used.”

Of course, we still don’t have a release date, but I’m told it’s finally, honestly not far off, and it’s still coming to a bunch of other platforms: WiiWare (!), Xbox Live Arcade, and PC (on Steam, naturally).

#2 Edited by drgrumbles (213 posts) -

neat

edit and finally.

#3 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Yuck.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Game looks great. Looking forward to it.

#5 Posted by MattSchwabby (118 posts) -

At first I thought this article was about a version of rampage where you destroyed a retro city. What a letdown.

#6 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (451 posts) -

i still remember when this was originally supposed to be grand theft auto squished down for an 8-bit nes release....i would so love to play this on steam

#7 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

would be cool for this to come out for mac on steam as well.

#8 Posted by CornBREDX (5997 posts) -

God, it feels like I've been waiting for this forever. I really want to play this already. I'll tell you one thing, at least for me, hearing about it and reading about so much has got me kinda hyped which for a smaller (indie) title is not common for me so that's interesting haha 
Not saying I don't like indie games, but there's not generally a lot of hype. You hear about it, then it comes out kind of thing. Often under the radar. I've been actively waiting for this game.

#9 Posted by vonFlampanker (329 posts) -

That statement about the Vita's development system is pretty encouraging.

#10 Posted by ga1357 (4 posts) -

nice

#11 Posted by Depth (357 posts) -

Getting this for my vita.

#12 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -
@vonFlampanker said:

That statement about the Vita's development system is pretty encouraging.

Word. They've certainly learnt a thing or two from the PS3.
#13 Edited by MeatSim (10939 posts) -

Everybody gets to play it!

#14 Posted by Franstone (1155 posts) -

That's funny...

When I worked in QA at Atari long ago, there was some kid who said he bought the rights to River City Ransom.

At the time I thought he was full of shit cuz he was a pretty weird dude, maybe attention grabber.

Now that this throw back game with a different but similar title has popped up I'm wondering if he was telling the thruth and just demanded money they weren't willing to pay for the original name.

hah

#15 Posted by Grixxel (772 posts) -

Wonder if it'll have multiplayer :O

#16 Posted by Redbullet685 (6085 posts) -

Excited for this. It looks neat.

#17 Posted by AuthenticM (3803 posts) -

Alright, I am totally buying this game. Sold.

On another note, I'd like to know if I'll be able to play the game on both PS3 and Vita with the same purchase. That would be neat.

#18 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (354 posts) -

This is so very strange. For over 5 years whenever a downloadable title has been announced I always planned to buy the XBLA version. Now I'm mostly excited to have new things to do with my Vita. I honestly don't know why so many people seem down on this system. I've had mine a week and it's been fantastic.

And when this game is released, it'll be even more so. :)

#19 Posted by InternetDetective (353 posts) -

I can't wait until "not far off"!!!!!

#20 Posted by jukeboxzer0 (73 posts) -

The release date is sometime in may

#21 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

3DSWare would be a great addition to the already awesome device release roster. But hey, XBLA is where I'm gonna get it first. Dem cheevos, mayne.

#22 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

@Klei: Boo on you.

#23 Posted by Deusoma (3032 posts) -

My brother, who steadfastly refuses to get a Giant Bomb account for some reason, requests that I say 

"What would Brian Provinciano do if he were here right now?"

#24 Posted by Winternet (8053 posts) -

@Deusoma said:

My brother, who steadfastly refuses to get a Giant Bomb account for some reason, requests that I say "What would Brian Provinciano do if he were here right now?"

Your brother should be executed for capital offense on multiple degrees.

#25 Posted by fred2265 (21 posts) -

This just looks so cool. GTA1 :)

#26 Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy (608 posts) -

Looking forward to playing this!

#27 Posted by avid8bit (10 posts) -

No 3DS version? Bummerific

#28 Posted by Kazzenn (150 posts) -

One day this game will come out and I will be a happy happy man.

#29 Posted by Jurney (9 posts) -

<Drool>

#30 Posted by Dunklekuh81 (9 posts) -

god I am so excited for this game. I preordered it the day after it was available.

#31 Posted by ansys (62 posts) -

Has this game been delayed?

#32 Posted by WMoyer83 (645 posts) -

Where is this game?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.