Persona Battle Music: Then and Now

#1 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Some of you are probably already aware of this, but in addition to the litany of tweaks and upgrades Atlus made to help modernize the gameplay for Persona's PSP remake, the game's composer Shoji Meguro produced a new soundtrack that gives the game a sound more reminicent of Persona 3 and Persona 4.  Just how different is the PSP version's soundtrack from the original?  Well, here's the primary battle theme in the original Playstation version:

And here's the main battle theme to the PSP version:

#2 Posted by Eirikr (1009 posts) -

Man, the vocals in the remake just don't fit the style of game P1 is. I was about to say that both are pretty good but different, though now I'm glad I'm holding off on P1 for now.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Eirikr: Having not played through the Playstation release and only being a few hours into the remake, I can't really comment on my feelings regarding the soundtracks to both games, but I don't know.  I don't mind the PSP version's battle music, whereas the PS1 version feels more generic in terms of RPG battle themes.  It's not bad, there's just nothing about it that really stands out to me.
#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

Did the entire Persona soundtrack get replaced with persona 3/4 style music? Are there still some of the original songs?
#5 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan said:
" Did the entire Persona soundtrack get replaced with persona 3/4 style music? Are there still some of the original songs? "
As I've said before, I'm not familiar with the entirety of the original version's soundtrack, but according to the liner notes in the 2-disc set that came with the PSP version, it doesn't look like it.
#6 Posted by pause422 (6201 posts) -

I like a good amount of the music from Persona psp, but yeah I would agree the type of game that Persona 1 is, the original fit better with it.

#7 Edited by K9 (621 posts) -

For the new battle theme; 0:00 - 0:13 is epic. 0:14 - 0:30 is good too. But then it gets too peppy. That is a shame. Still, I think it is an upgrade from the original theme, which now just sounds boring.

#8 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1481 posts) -

I think it's gonna be one of those themes that I'm gonna love at the beginning, but I'll absolutely loathe near the end.

#9 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11909 posts) -

Because I started with P3 and P4, the J-Pop battle theme sounds more persona-y to me. It also seems like something that will get stuck in my head on the same level as P4's battle theme.

#10 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan said:
" Did the entire Persona soundtrack get replaced with persona 3/4 style music? Are there still some of the original songs? "
I could be wrong, but from what I know, the answer is all the music is new.  This is the musical direction Meguro has decided on for the Persona series as long as he is in charge of its music.
#11 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -

The first 20 seconds of the original song makes me want to yell "Mortal Kombat!"

#12 Edited by CommodoreGroovy (557 posts) -

The new one sounds more appropriate for a boss battle. Sorta.

#13 Posted by Eirikr (1009 posts) -
@K9 said:
" For the new battle theme; 0:00 - 0:13 is epic. 0:14 - 0:30 is good too. But then it gets too peppy. That is a shame. Still, I think it is an upgrade from the original theme, which now just sounds boring. "
This is just it. The first part of the new theme is pretty good, but for me the vocals kinda ruin it. If I were playing the game, each battle would be a race to win before the singing starts. 

On the subject of vocals, I was really looking forward to a new rendition of the Velvet Room theme, but I was disappointed when it just reused the same vocal from P3 and P4 I've listened to literally for dozens of hours. Weaksauce.
#14 Posted by raddevon (437 posts) -

I like the new one better. I'm afraid the old theme would give me a headache after even a short playsession. Perhaps this is why I barely played the PS1 original when I owned it.

#15 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I like both themes a lot though for a remake, they sound absolutely nothing alike.

#16 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Wow, the original is way better. But then again, I've always thought the new one was trash. The new boss theme is excellent, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.