Oh, no! Localization murdered this game.

#1 Edited by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

Destructoid just posted something terrifying. The English dub for Rhythm Heaven.

Oh, my poor heart... Just watch the video...

#2 Posted by coffeesash (347 posts) -

Mmm, I know, they stripped all the original artists out and dubbed them with people that are ... not naturally gifted at singing.

#3 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Dang. That sounded like a 12-year-old girl singing along to High School Musical. In other words: it sucked big time.

#4 Edited by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I wonder whose bright idea it was to strip out the original content to add localized lyrics, even worse is the person who actually casted the singers for this. They really did murder this game.

#5 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

I was actually looking forward to an English version of this game, too. I thought it'd be nice to know what all the menus and things were saying. Guess I'll be sticking with my import.

#6 Posted by Marzy (675 posts) -

I was always worried about this when they said they were bringing the game over here.

#7 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
License_To_Bill said:
"I was actually looking forward to an English version of this game, too. I thought it'd be nice to know what all the menus and things were saying. Guess I'll be sticking with my import."
Guess I'll be looking to import as well.   So, very, very, very sad :-(
#8 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

I imported mine when it was first released in Japan. I was excited for this version...but now I've changed my mine. That's god awful.

#9 Posted by Chaser324 (6741 posts) -

In spite of this bad news, I still think I'm going to buy this game when it comes out. I'm not really down with importing, and I think I can handle some bad voice work in a few places.

#10 Posted by deathfury (539 posts) -

Is the DS region locked?

#11 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

My ears are bleeding. This is more effective than any form of sick torture man could create.

#12 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Wow, whoever is singing that is seriously horrible.  Was someone paid for this?

#13 Edited by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I dont really think that two games being dubbed poorly is going to make me import the japanese version. If we let something stupid like this stop us, Nintendo might stop even trying to bring games like this to America. I'll be buying the English version.

deathfury said:
"Is the DS region locked?"
No
#14 Edited by Trnck (448 posts) -

Now I've ripped the game I bought and replaced my audio files, yay English interface + Japanese audio!

...No wait there is something wrong with the timing of the tracks, which makes getting superb rating kinda impossible...

*go back to japanese version*

#15 Edited by gesi1223 (221 posts) -

I already imported the game before I even heard of it being localized. So i'm good on that.

But besides that I don't mind the english vocals all that much, and despite being really bad compared to the japanese vocals. The game is still really fun.

I think you guys are kind of overreacting.

#16 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

It sounds no worse than the localized Mona Pizza song from WarioWare Twisted!, or the Ashley song from Touched!  You dudes are totally overreacting.

#17 Posted by deathfury (539 posts) -

Well Wario Ware is not a rhythm game based around music, so a little localization doesn't hurt it, but this is a music game!

#18 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
iAmJohn said:
It sounds no worse than the localized Mona Pizza song from WarioWare Twisted!, or the Ashley song from Touched!
Exactly what I was thinking.  Except those are some of the worst sung songs in any game ever.
#19 Edited by Chaser324 (6741 posts) -

Part two of the dubbing video...this one provides a more complete overview of the changes. Luckily one thing hasn't changed...SCRATCH-O! Hey!

#20 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

I don't think it's an overreaction. These songs are supposed to be poppy and fun. Listening to a less-than-talented woman lazily mumble "yeah yeah yeah" or almost sarcastically say "wonderful" doesn't really get you in the rhythm kind of mood. I mean, the singers in Japanese are actual singers. Like, in bands.

It wouldn't be so bad if the gameplay was centered around the lyrics, but it isn't. There is no reason to make it English. You're not missing anything by listening to it in Japanese. It's not like the lyrics are worth hearing anyway, since it's generic trash. I just don't see the point.

I would actually cover myself in gasoline and light myself on fire if they dubbed Scratch-O with a more American accent. Actually, that would make it way funnier.

#21 Posted by Milkman (17311 posts) -

So what? If the core mechanics are still there and the game is still fun, then what does it matter? It's not like they are disgracing some incredible songs or something. "I love you/With all my heart/Yeah yeah yeah". Yep, totally memorable.

#22 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -
Milkman said:
"So what? If the core mechanics are still there and the game is still fun, then what does it matter? It's not like they are disgracing some incredible songs or something. "I love you/With all my heart/Yeah yeah yeah". Yep, totally memorable."
You're actually kinda helping me out here. We wouldn't know the songs were shit if they were in a different language.
#23 Posted by LiquidPrince (16165 posts) -

I didn't even know anything about this game and that video killed me.

#24 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -
License_To_Bill said:
"There is no reason to make it English. You're not missing anything by listening to it in Japanese. It's not like the lyrics are worth hearing anyway, since it's generic trash.
How about because being in Japanese makes it way less marketable?  You're really sounding like the "NOTHING SHOULD BE LOCALIZED BECAUSE AMERICANS CANNOT UNDERSTAND THE BRILLIANCE OF THE HONORIFIC JAPANESE" guy.
#25 Edited by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -
iAmJohn said:
"License_To_Bill said:
"There is no reason to make it English. You're not missing anything by listening to it in Japanese. It's not like the lyrics are worth hearing anyway, since it's generic trash.
How about because being in Japanese makes it way less marketable?  You're really sounding like the "NOTHING SHOULD BE LOCALIZED BECAUSE AMERICANS CANNOT UNDERSTAND THE BRILLIANCE OF THE HONORIFIC JAPANESE" guy.
"
I hope not. I'm just a big fan of the original game. I'm not, like, way into Japan. I just think the songs are much better the way they were.

And I'm not even completely against it being in English. It would be fine if the actors sounded better.
#26 Posted by LiquidPrince (16165 posts) -
Chaser324 said:
"Part two of the dubbing video...this one provides a more complete overview of the changes. Luckily one thing hasn't changed...SCRATCH-O! Hey!

"
This one was actually decent. Didn't make my ears bleed like the first one.
#27 Posted by ZettaSlow (148 posts) -

The only ones in the video that seem horribly bad are the Fan Club dubs.  Everything else is at least decent.

#28 Posted by Steven (247 posts) -

"Either way, anyone who tries to tell you that Rhythm Heaven has been "ruined" by its translation is being melodramatic and is definitely not your friend."
-Jeff's Review.

I found it funny going from Jeff's review right into seeing this topic...and I'd have to agree, it's not like there's a ton of it anyway.

#29 Posted by Chaser324 (6741 posts) -

I really can not wait to play this game. I've been playing the old GBA version, and in spite of it being pretty difficult in places, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

#30 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

I maintain that Fan Club Lady should be strangled.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.