Hold DOWN the drift button please... A cautionary tale

#1 Edited by Vitor (2789 posts) -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-27-ridge-racer-unbounded-review

So, the Eurogamer review is up and they were having the same issues Jeff had on his quicklook (namely, severe understeer and a drifting system that handled nothing like traditional Ridge Racer).

Apparently that's because the game never tells you to HOLD DOWN the drift button instead of just tapping it.

"...this is a cautionary tale: nowhere in Unbounded does it tell you that you have to hold down the drift button the whole way through a corner, going against instincts built up by every other arcade racer ever, in order to have fun. When you do hold it down, though, Ridge Racer Unbounded is brilliant."

#2 Posted by AlexanderPato (2 posts) -

Ridge racer Unbounded has defined a new way of drifting in racing game. Previously we had to press the handbrakes and turn the car. This was a real challenge as the car might slip and go out of control. So we needed to have a good control on car. But in this game, one key has to be pressed and the car goes into drifting mode. We have to just control it from slipping away from road and then exit drift mode. This is really a good change brought by Bugbear entertainment.

#3 Edited by Shortcot (1 posts) -

Total bullshit. I'm using "drift" button just like handbrake in every other game and this didn't prevent me from completing the game and winning several multiplayer races. Holding it down only makes you lose speed.

#4 Posted by Rasgueado (702 posts) -

@Shortcot said:

Total bullshit. I'm using "drift" button just like handbrake in every other game and this didn't prevent me from completing the game and winning several multiplayer races. Holding it down only makes you lose speed.

I've actually had the same experience so far. I'm playing the PC version, but I don't imagine that would make any difference in terms of how this handles. Holding the drift button down does put the car into drift mode, but apart from continuing to slow the car down, I've seen no advantage to continuing to hold the button down. The car will still drift around corners the same way whether I hold the button down or not.

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

@AlexanderPato said:

Ridge racer Unbounded has defined a new way of drifting in racing game. Previously we had to press the handbrakes and turn the car. This was a real challenge as the car might slip and go out of control. So we needed to have a good control on car. But in this game, one key has to be pressed and the car goes into drifting mode. We have to just control it from slipping away from road and then exit drift mode. This is really a good change brought by Bugbear entertainment.

Do you work for Bugbear by chance?

#6 Edited by Rasgueado (702 posts) -

Ok... actually I think I got it now. He's right in that by holding down that drift button, you're going to beef up your power meter a lot faster. What isn't readily apparent is that while you have that drift button down you also want to gas and brake around certain turns to make smooth and fast turns. I'm still not great at it, but I'm definitely hitting a lot more sharp turns cleanly, while also charging my boost before the turn is over, unlike before when I was just relying on the drift button and feathering the gas. Hitting that button, in a way, is kind of like putting your car into a Ridge Racer drift, but you have to be a lot more on top of it in order to make it work.

Edit: Forget all that crap I just wrote. The drift button basically just instantly makes your back tires lose traction until you release the button. That's it... period.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.