Risen 2: Dark Waters Announced For PC And Consoles

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Hey, it’s official: Risen 2 is a video game. Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes confirmed the project earlier this week, shedding just a bit of light on the project. 

Risen 2: Dark Waters, as it’s being called, is a true sequel to the original game, taking place several years after the devastation caused by the titans. This title specifically will sport more of a maritime twist according to the PR, and will boast several islands instead of just a singular locale, as was the case in the first game.

Not to miss out on the hottest trends, Risen 2 will feature a moral choice system and the promise of multiple, game-changing decisions. “Risen 2 maintains the most immersive features of the original Risen, with multiple approaches to every challenge allowing players to shape the game world based on their own decisions,” the press release reads. Perhaps the coolest part of the first Risen was its world. The NPCs and the enemies certainly didn't give me anything to write home about.

Here's a couple more images to take a gander at:   

No word on an actual release date, but multiple platforms are being targeted. Risen 2 should see a release on the PC, of course, as well as consoles. The original Risen only made it to PC and Xbox 360, so it looks like the PS3 will be getting its own version as well this time around.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Hey, it’s official: Risen 2 is a video game. Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes confirmed the project earlier this week, shedding just a bit of light on the project. 

Risen 2: Dark Waters, as it’s being called, is a true sequel to the original game, taking place several years after the devastation caused by the titans. This title specifically will sport more of a maritime twist according to the PR, and will boast several islands instead of just a singular locale, as was the case in the first game.

Not to miss out on the hottest trends, Risen 2 will feature a moral choice system and the promise of multiple, game-changing decisions. “Risen 2 maintains the most immersive features of the original Risen, with multiple approaches to every challenge allowing players to shape the game world based on their own decisions,” the press release reads. Perhaps the coolest part of the first Risen was its world. The NPCs and the enemies certainly didn't give me anything to write home about.

Here's a couple more images to take a gander at:   

No word on an actual release date, but multiple platforms are being targeted. Risen 2 should see a release on the PC, of course, as well as consoles. The original Risen only made it to PC and Xbox 360, so it looks like the PS3 will be getting its own version as well this time around.
#2 Edited by Bamsen (342 posts) -

yay

finaly done with this quest

#3 Posted by Sin4profit (2932 posts) -

dude in risen was a pirate? 

#4 Posted by MisterMouse (3554 posts) -

yeah the pirate theme seems to be played up a lot more now...

#5 Posted by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

You can take the name Gothic away, but you can't stop them making a great RPG. Loved the first Risen can't wait for this new one.    

#6 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Risen, Venectica and Two Worlds 2 have helped me realize that Im finally fed up with the Gothic lame-o fighting mechanics, so if this is more of the same I say screw that. I really hope they nail that though cause the other aspects of this game could be pretty good.

#7 Posted by JohnPaulVann (209 posts) -

Fuck pirates. 

#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

Considering the first Risen was mediocre, I'm not interested.

#9 Posted by paulunga (2018 posts) -

" Not to miss out on the hottest trends, Risen 2 will feature a moral choice system and the promise of multiple, game-changing decisions."

This isn't really noteworthy considering they were amongst the first to set this trend with the original Gothic. Duh, of course you'll be able to join different factions or decide who lives and who dies.

#10 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -

First risen was a fun game, people don't give it enough credit. It is quiet generic, but if you are a die hard RPG player consider it a gem.

#11 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

I don't know anything about Risen, but this... sounds a lot like that Pirates of the Caribbean game that got canceled. Yay?

#12 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

I don't know what Risen is. But this looks neat.

#13 Posted by SpacePenguin (478 posts) -

The first one was "meh" hopfully this one will be better.

#14 Posted by mm665 (407 posts) -

First one was surprisingly fun game.

#15 Posted by MetalBaofu (1383 posts) -

First one wasn't a great game by any means, but I did enjoy some of my time with it, so I am at least interested in seeing if they manage to improve some stuff for the sequel.

#16 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -
@paulunga said:
" " Not to miss out on the hottest trends, Risen 2 will feature a moral choice system and the promise of multiple, game-changing decisions." 

This isn't really noteworthy considering they were amongst the first to set this trend with the original Gothic. Duh, of course you'll be able to join different factions or decide who lives and who dies. "
Right........

But they're putting it back in Risen 2 because Bioware is bringing that trend back up with Mass Effect and Dragon Age....
#17 Posted by evanbrass (12 posts) -

Images look good, will there be ninjas in this one?

#18 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I only care if they tie this into the Pirates of Dark Water Universe.

#19 Posted by thwak (104 posts) -

Should be called "Risen 2: Bong Water"

#20 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:
" @paulunga said:
" " Not to miss out on the hottest trends, Risen 2 will feature a moral choice system and the promise of multiple, game-changing decisions." 

This isn't really noteworthy considering they were amongst the first to set this trend with the original Gothic. Duh, of course you'll be able to join different factions or decide who lives and who dies. "
Right........  But they're putting it back in Risen 2 because Bioware is bringing that trend back up with Mass Effect and Dragon Age.... "
First Risen had plenty of game changing decisions and there's nothing new about moral choice systems, so I don't really know what Brad means by that. Oh well.
#21 Posted by Bakumatsu (355 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" I only care if they tie this into the Pirates of Dark Water Universe. "
This.
#22 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

First game was alright, but not without it's faults. Hopefully they can make some improvements and make this game awesome. 

#23 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@pyromaster222 said:
" yeah the pirate theme seems to be played up a lot more now... "
Not really, there aren't that many Pirate games.
#24 Posted by Nentisys (892 posts) -

I really liked the first Risen. Hope this comes out soon, should be fun.

#25 Posted by eagles_band (159 posts) -

Awesome, cant wait for this

#26 Posted by armaan8014 (5404 posts) -

Woohoo! Awesoeme! Hope they have better character models this time around though

#27 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

Risen was pretty good but really, really janky.

#28 Posted by ectoplasma (979 posts) -

What killed the first risen for me were the textures. They were so fucking bland. The first hut is brown all over, all the furniture is brown, everything brown, everything the same texture. Then I quit the game and never booted it again.

#29 Posted by jack1attack6 (2 posts) -

i like game

#30 Posted by BoOzak (922 posts) -

Sweet! Enjoyed the first game a hell of alot, hope this one still has all the subtle quirks the original had; like being able to interact with various things in the enviroment. (and they actually have an effect unlike gothic 4..)

Not liking the pirate vibe the games giving off though, reminds me too much of Fable which isnt a good thing. Hopefully they dont do a Molyneux and streamline the shit out of it to the point where the gameplay's no longer a factor, and it just ends up as a bad monty python film.

On a lighter note, YAY Risen 2 ;p (i feel if i list all my concerns, someone, somewhere, who actually has any say in the matter, might listen and heed my wisdom..)

#31 Posted by ThePantheon (727 posts) -

AWESOME.

Risen was the last "fantasy" type RPG that really engrossed me since Oblivion.

Really looking forward to this.

#32 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@paulunga said:
" " Not to miss out on the hottest trends, Risen 2 will feature a moral choice system and the promise of multiple, game-changing decisions."  This isn't really noteworthy considering they were amongst the first to set this trend with the original Gothic. Duh, of course you'll be able to join different factions or decide who lives and who dies. "
Yeah, and it won't be dumbed down like in BioWare games either. I mean, seriously, these days people pretend like BioWare invented everything ffs.
#33 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@S0ndor said:
" @Doctorchimp said:
" @paulunga said:

Right........  But they're putting it back in Risen 2 because Bioware is bringing that trend back up with Mass Effect and Dragon Age.... "
First Risen had plenty of game changing decisions and there's nothing new about moral choice systems, so I don't really know what Brad means by that. Oh well. "
Maybe he means he didn't play the first one. 

I can't say for sure. I've played all of 1 RPG on the PC, it was an MMO, and it was about as niche as you can get.
#34 Posted by havveh (1 posts) -

screenies remind me of the island in farcry

#35 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.