River City Ransom 2 Coming Soon

#1 Edited by Contro (2040 posts) -

 
 

Japanese developer Miracle Kidz has announced it's developing "Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari 2", otherwise known as "River City Ransom 2" & "Street Gangs 2" in the West. The original River City Ransom on NES was much loved by many and is now commonly seen as a NES classic. 
  
The new game, which is being developed alongside members of the old development team, is due for release on "home consoles" in Japan this Summer (Miracle Kidz have previously made games for Wii & 360). I should point out that this "River City Ransom 2", isn't connected in any way to Atari tester Armen Casarjian's failed Realize Games project (2002).  

 
River City Ransom / Street Gangs (NES) - Wii Virtual Console - 500 Wii Points
  
  
  
Any fans of the original looking forward to this?     

http://mkidz.jp/
#2 Posted by INV2 (256 posts) -

YES!
also,
 
BAAAAARF!

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Will there be Sushi?

#4 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Does the Scott Pilgrim game count as this?
 
More than anything I'm interested in the art style. Cos it's a definate they're gonna revamp it-- but how?
 
Also I wonder if you'll play as girls in this one. I mean-- check bubble font n pink text.

#5 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Wait, really? Cool!

#6 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -

You all would have known this already if you had checked the River City Ransom 2 forum. :P

#7 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" You all would have known this already if you had checked the River City Ransom 2 forum. :P "
To be fair, I'm sure tons of people would have never had the idea of a sequel to this game cross their mind to even think about searching for it.  I definitely did not think this was even a thing and am so glad it is.  
 
The big question now is whether or not this will still be in a 2d plane like the first, or if it will incorporate an actual 3D environment.  I personally hope they stick to the 2D route (meaning either HD 2D sprites or 3D models in a 2D plane), however I am not sure how many people still want to play that type of game even if they flesh out the mechanics some more.
#8 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:
" To be fair, I'm sure tons of people would have never had the idea of a sequel to this game cross their mind to even think about searching for it. "
Every day I check for the existence of a River City Ransom sequel. So should everyone else. :P
#9 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @ShiftyMagician said:
" To be fair, I'm sure tons of people would have never had the idea of a sequel to this game cross their mind to even think about searching for it. "
Every day I check for the existence of a River City Ransom sequel. So should everyone else. :P "
Words of wisdom these are hehehe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.