Robert Bowling Unexpectedly Announces He is Exiting Activision [UPDATED]

• 171 results
Posted by Alex (1978 posts) -

UPDATE: Activision has replied with a short statement on Bowling's exit.

"We sincerely thank Robert for his many years of service. He’s been a trusted and valued member of the Infinity Ward team. We wish him all the best on his decision to pursue future opportunities.”

Does that sound at all to you like the sort of thing a company not quite expecting this type of thing to happen might say? Read that way to me, anyway, but maybe I'm off-base.

----

In a startling bit of news that pretty much just happened, Robert Bowling, the longtime creative strategist for the Call of Duty brand at Activision and developer Infinity Ward, has announced he is resigning from his current position.

I don't know if I should apologize to Robert for using this photo of him, but I'm just going to go ahead and preemptively do so.

No reason was given for the announcement, but the terms were absolutely clear. He stated as follows:

Today, I resign from my position as Creative Strategist of Call of Duty, as a lead of Infinity Ward, and as an employee of Activision.

Bowling had been with Activision since 2006, working early on in the franchise's existence as a community manager, and eventually rising up to become the most recognizable face associated with the brand. For all intents and purposes, he has been Call of Duty's primary mouthpiece since the Modern Warfare era began, especially in the time following the exit of Infinity Ward founders Vince Zampella and Jason West, who went on to found Respawn Entertainment.

We've reached out to Activision for an official statement regarding Bowling's exit. We'll update this story should they respond.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Alex (1978 posts) -

UPDATE: Activision has replied with a short statement on Bowling's exit.

"We sincerely thank Robert for his many years of service. He’s been a trusted and valued member of the Infinity Ward team. We wish him all the best on his decision to pursue future opportunities.”

Does that sound at all to you like the sort of thing a company not quite expecting this type of thing to happen might say? Read that way to me, anyway, but maybe I'm off-base.

----

In a startling bit of news that pretty much just happened, Robert Bowling, the longtime creative strategist for the Call of Duty brand at Activision and developer Infinity Ward, has announced he is resigning from his current position.

I don't know if I should apologize to Robert for using this photo of him, but I'm just going to go ahead and preemptively do so.

No reason was given for the announcement, but the terms were absolutely clear. He stated as follows:

Today, I resign from my position as Creative Strategist of Call of Duty, as a lead of Infinity Ward, and as an employee of Activision.

Bowling had been with Activision since 2006, working early on in the franchise's existence as a community manager, and eventually rising up to become the most recognizable face associated with the brand. For all intents and purposes, he has been Call of Duty's primary mouthpiece since the Modern Warfare era began, especially in the time following the exit of Infinity Ward founders Vince Zampella and Jason West, who went on to found Respawn Entertainment.

We've reached out to Activision for an official statement regarding Bowling's exit. We'll update this story should they respond.

Staff Online
#2 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

Whoa

#3 Posted by brianontoast (22 posts) -

copy and paste warfare 3

#4 Posted by Mystyr_E (1189 posts) -

<checks pockets>

<checks under bed>

Hm, can't seem to find a fuck to give

#5 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

HOVER HANDS

#6 Edited by GirlsGeneration (153 posts) -

I guess he got tired of all the hate mail lol. And lying to people faces about features in Call of Duty and things that were a complete lie

#7 Posted by positron (43 posts) -

Well there was no point in him joining Respawn until they had something to talk about.

#8 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

@gorkamorkaorka said:

HOVER HANDS

#9 Posted by Jolt92 (1543 posts) -

He's starting Hover Hands Studios.

#10 Posted by Chtasm (446 posts) -

Meh.

#11 Posted by itsVASH (172 posts) -

???????????

#12 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it has to do with MW3 being hacked.

Bowling was like:

#13 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

Who?

#14 Posted by Monk (181 posts) -

Must have disagreed too much with upper management.

#15 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

That's a hell of a photo.

#16 Posted by LeeroyPinkerton (64 posts) -

Dat picture.

#17 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2572 posts) -

He always seems cool on the CoD Elite interview videos. What a shame he is leaving...He was growing a beard.

HE WAS GROWING A BEARD!!!!

#18 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Is Creative Strategist (Community Manager) sort of like how Subway call their employees Sandwich Artists? 

fourzerotwo always struck me as either incredibly ignorant of the PC platform or he was being told what to say by Activision.

#19 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Maybe he got sick of the Call of Duty franchise.

#20 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

OK.

#21 Posted by bennym6 (415 posts) -

HOLY POOP

#22 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

Maybe he saw Bobby Kotick before he had a chance to morph from the Devil into his Kotick costume?

#23 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

the less i see or hear of him the better

#24 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

lol hover hands

#25 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Maybe his hover hands made him do it

#26 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Will he be on the Bombcast?

#27 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

Goodnight, sweet prince shitty corporate mouthpiece.

#28 Posted by weegieanawrench (1935 posts) -

Good luck with future endeavours, I guess.

#29 Posted by AnEternalEnigma (280 posts) -

I lost all respect for this guy when he stood on a stage at Call of Duty XP and announced "NO MORE LAST STAND!" to a screaming crowd of approval when he damn well knew Final Stand, which is much worse, was going to be kept in the game. Not to mention all the other lies he's fed the community since CoD4.

GTFO.

#30 Posted by waldy (40 posts) -

wow, unexpected

#31 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

I have no problem with that.

#32 Posted by Tamaster92 (271 posts) -

That photo is proof of winning.

#33 Posted by Khann (2792 posts) -

Good riddance.

#34 Posted by Zacagawea (1585 posts) -

I've always hated him

#35 Posted by notlupus (44 posts) -

well considering he never listened to the fans or actually managed any issues I really don't see how he was living up to his title. His presence will not be missed, he was a remnant of the XXxsolidscopesnake420xXX culture that was plaguing the COD series. All he ever did was give into those type of peoples concerns, maybe the community will get a representative that listens and actually makes improvements that level headed players asked for like David Vahn over at Treyarch.

Also....Hover Hands

#36 Posted by ahgunsillyo (444 posts) -

To be fair, if you're going to have pictures like that taken of you, you kinda deserve to have them be the default pictures to use for articles written about you.

#37 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

@Tamaster92 said:

That photo is proof of winning.

Winning does not involve hover hands.

#38 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

@AnEternalEnigma said:

I lost all respect for this guy when he stood on a stage at Call of Duty XP and announced "NO MORE LAST STAND!" to a screaming crowd of approval when he damn well knew Final Stand, which is much worse, was going to be kept in the game. Not to mention all the other lies he's fed the community since CoD4.

GTFO.

Ahahahahahahaha! Did that actually happen? It's amazing how many times he just straight up lied to the community and almost no one ever caught on and stopped taking him seriously.

#39 Posted by prencher (105 posts) -

Well, once you've "creatively" run a franchise into the ground, where do you really go from there as a "creative strategist"?

#40 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

Meh

#41 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

May his hands continue to hover.

#42 Posted by m2cks (575 posts) -

Good riddance. No more Robert Trolling feeding lies to the sheep.

#43 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@AnEternalEnigma: Don't you have to die, like, 4 or 5 times to get into final stand?

If so, what the hell does it matter if someone on a crazy deathstreak gets to last stand? Don't tell me he "lied to the fans." There is a HUGE difference between someone who always gets to fall down and pistol you, and one who sometimes gets to fall down and shoot you.

#44 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

Who?

#45 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Did he have any sort of impact on the actual games? No? Then why are we talking about this guy?

He was nothing more than a mouthpiece and apparently he was bad at it, too.

#46 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

*Herp-a-derp response about not knowing who he is/caring cause CoD sux lulz.*

#47 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

Guys those hands aren't hovering.....he was about to smack both of those women's ass and it was caught in the middle.

#48 Posted by Video_Game_King (36067 posts) -

@brianontoast said:

copy and paste warfare 3

Unoriginality is eternal, good sir.

#49 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2320 posts) -

Remember the "one shot center-mass" thing?

He sure changed his tone since then.

#50 Posted by MeatSim (10775 posts) -

I thought he would have come up with a more creative exit strategy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.