10/21 DLC Nirvana 7-pack

#1 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

Quoted from HMXHenry:

Hey gang,

Here's the DLC for this week. It's a hearty helping of 7 Nivana tracks! Dig in and enjoy!

Breed
Lounge Act
On a Plain
Polly
Something in the Way
Stay Away
Territorial Pissings


All tracks are masters.

The full Nirvana 7 Pack will $10.99 (880 Microsoft Points) or $1.99 (160 Microsoft Points) per track.

These tracks will be available on Xbox360 on October 21st and on the PS3 on October 23rd.

#2 Posted by tds418 (190 posts) -

Looks like I'll be saving my money this week.

#3 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

All Apologies, Come As You Are, Smells Like Teen Spirit...

None of them? Really? I don't much like Nirvana, but those songs are decent. Why aren't they given priority?

#4 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Still no Fallout Boy.

#5 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

With great reason, HandsomeDead. With great reason . . .

#6 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

Yeah I'm a little surprised that these are the Nirvana tracks we're getting...but hey, some Nirvana is better than no Nirvana. I think.

#7 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"With great reason, HandsomeDead. With great reason . . ."
Aye. They can't seem to afford the really popular stuff. At least not all the time.
#8 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"With great reason, HandsomeDead. With great reason . . ."
Aye. They can't seem to afford the really popular stuff. At least not all the time."
I'm pretty sure that's not the reason.

You already had some FOB DLC awhile back..it's not like they have a ton of hits to release for RB anyway.
#9 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
Megalon said:
"Yeah I'm a little surprised that these are the Nirvana tracks we're getting...but hey, some Nirvana is better than no Nirvana. I think."
true, but I'd still would have loved to get Smells Like Teen Spirit.
#10 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Smells Like Teen Spirit would be boring as hell, really. If you like the song, it could be fun, but it's too long and easy, I'd think. A song like Roxanne is two minutes. It's easy, but it's succinct. then again, I'm talking about Nirvana. That's the dead center of simpletown.

Fallout Boy is the town hall.

#11 Edited by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Megalon said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"With great reason, HandsomeDead. With great reason . . ."
Aye. They can't seem to afford the really popular stuff. At least not all the time."
I'm pretty sure that's not the reason.

You already had some FOB DLC awhile back..it's not like they have a ton of hits to release for RB anyway."
I know. But I want more. More! I need more times where I can do a justifiable Wentz spin. Though, I don't know what you mean about hits when those are the Nirvana tracks they've picked.
#12 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Smells Like Teen Spirit would be boring as hell, really. If you like the song, it could be fun, but it's too long and easy, I'd think. A song like Roxanne is two minutes. It's easy, but it's succinct. then again, I'm talking about Nirvana. That's the dead center of simpletown.

Fallout Boy is the town hall."
Simpletown sometimes crosses over into Funville, you know. They don't have to be mutually exclusive, especially for non-expert level players. These simple but popular songs are the ones that get played the most at my RB parties, not stuff like Constant Motion.

Also, Dead on Arrival wasn't too simple in RB1 (I'm referring primarily to drums).
#13 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"Megalon said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"With great reason, HandsomeDead. With great reason . . ."
Aye. They can't seem to afford the really popular stuff. At least not all the time."
I'm pretty sure that's not the reason.

You already had some FOB DLC awhile back..it's not like they have a ton of hits to release for RB anyway."
I know. But I want more. More! I need more times where I can do a justifiable Wentz spin. Though, I don't know what you mean about hits when those are the Nirvana tracks they've picked."
Haha, you got me there actually. Breed and Polly were somewhat popular back in the day around my neck of the woods, but these other ones...not so much.
#14 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
#15 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

What the fuck? 7 Nirvana songs, all off Nevermind, but no Smells Like Teen Spirit or Come As You Are?

If you're not going to commit to the whole album, then get me Heart-Shaped Box or something. Don't give me everything except for the ones I want.
#16 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

I don't like Nirvana that much, so I think I will pass this week.

#17 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -
BananaKid said:
"What the fuck? 7 Nirvana songs, all off Nevermind, but no Smells Like Teen Spirit or Come As You Are?
If you're not going to commit to the whole album, then get me Heart-Shaped Box or something. Don't give me everything except for the ones I want.
"
Yeah, where's my Smells Like Teen Spirit?  If there were some tracks sprinkled in from other albums this wouldn't look like Harmonix & MTV were being lazy on getting licenses. 
#18 Posted by sociald1077 (263 posts) -
BananaKid said:
"What the fuck? 7 Nirvana songs, all off Nevermind, but no Smells Like Teen Spirit or Come As You Are?
If you're not going to commit to the whole album, then get me Heart-Shaped Box or something. Don't give me everything except for the ones I want.
"
It probably has to do with different ownership of the rights to the songs. There were big issues about this a few years ago when Dave Grohl wanted to put out a box set, but Courtney Love was able to stop them for a while with a court order. I highly doubt this in HMX not ponying up the cash, and more people behind the scenes not wanting things to happen.
#19 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

Yet another potential reason to hate Courtney Love.

#20 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -

Hm, I've not listened to anything from Nirvana except for the songs in games + Smells Like Teen Spirit. Guess I'll have to check these out, but I think it's awesome that Harmonix had this up their sleeves, even if it's not the entire Nevermind album. Just makes me wonder what else they have planned for the rest of the year (or at least until GH: WT is released).

#21 Posted by jakob187 (21732 posts) -

Nirvana sucks...sucked...will always suck.  I used to love them, but then I grew up and realized how bad they were.


But thank God that they became popular and ended Debbie Gibson's career!!!
#22 Posted by LokiZee (59 posts) -

Seems to me that Rock Band is targeting gamers ages 28-35. The original gamers who have jobs and money. Offspring, RHCP and Nirvana. I am 33, and HAPPY as hell! Rock Band and all associated KICK MAD ASS!!!!!!  And for all the people who are unhappy......there is still a ton of great content for everyone! If ya don't think so, don't play Rock Band! Damn! But really, lighten up...geez.

#23 Posted by ieatlions (708 posts) -

nirvana > You , 

oh and i think the only reason there is no smells like teen spirit since its 4 different chords withc isnt that fun and the bass is pretty dull
thats maybe the reason theres less of nirvana's better music . since it was better cause of the lyrics and not the instruments.
oh and something in the way is amazing

#24 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
#25 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -
ieatlions said:
"oh and i think the only reason there is no smells like teen spirit since its 4 different chords withc isnt that fun and the bass is pretty dull
thats maybe the reason theres less of nirvana's better music ."
Hamonix doesn't exclude songs because they're too easy/boring. That would be pretty stupid, especially with hits like Smells Like Teen Spirit. Courtney Love either wouldn't give up the rights or Harmonix didn't want to pay her price for it.

So yes, blame Courtney Love.
#26 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2116 posts) -

Yeah but still why didn't they just post the entire Nevermind album in entirety?  I would have rather have that!

#27 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -

Read the post right above yours....



Maybe we'll see the rest of the songs one day, which would be awesome, but unless they couldn't obtain the rights I don't see why Harmonix wouldn't have released it whole. I don't really care. I'm not a huge Nirvana fan, but I'll probably download any songs that are released by them.

#28 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -

I'm expecting Come as You Are as one of the 20 free tracks.

#29 Posted by JJ (172 posts) -
Mourne said:
"I'm expecting Come as You Are as one of the 20 free tracks."
I like the way you think.
#30 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -

The people over at the Rock Band forums say that Harmonix has said the 20 free songs will not be by any of the artists already on the RB 2 disc, and I think I remember reading it as well from Harmonix.

I'd be fine with that.

#31 Posted by jakob187 (21732 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

too bad nirvana sucks!
lulz, i kid, not my taste in music, but i know some people really like nirvana.

Personally, I think Sweet Dreams (cover of that that e word band, lol) by Marilyn Manson would be really neat."

Eurhythmics (pronounced your-ith-micks) did the original.  Funny thing is that the "Sweet Dreams" remake was the first thing I ever learned to play on real guitar.  Great beginner piece for anyone looking to learn guitar, btw.
And Nirvana does suck.  I'm a rocker, metalhead, hard rocker, whatever you want to call it.  I was one of the many that had my conspiracy theories about Kurt's death and this and that, have all the albums, and even had a gigantic poster of him that said "I hate myself and I want to die".  However, when I plug those albums in today, the only one that holds any interest for me is Incestide, and even then, it's minor in comparison to some of the other music from the time, ranging from Alice in Chains to Soundgarden to Seven Mary Three to Sponge.  Nirvana was such a dumbed-down, bleck piece of crap that just happened to wreck the record industry's idea of what people will buy and put Loverboy, Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block, and so many other new wave/pop bullshit in their graves earlier than expected.  I will thank them eternally for bringing rock back to the mainstream, but I just can't say they have/had any form of good music when it's all just whining and junk instrument playing.

Although Dave Grohl did go on to make one of the best rock bands EVAR!
#32 Posted by Timma1083 (566 posts) -

How much you wanna bet Smells Like Teen Spirit or Come As You Are are going to be on RB3's setlist?

But anyway, I'm not a huge fan of Nirvana, but still, it's Nirvana. They'll be fun to play regardless of how easy they are, and I'm really looking forward to Breed.

#33 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I just found out the song choice now...I'm not too happy with the choices. I think I'll be saving my money this week.

#34 Posted by DrSbaitso (73 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Nirvana sucks...sucked...will always suck.  I used to love them, but then I grew up and realized how bad they were."
Maybe you'll grow up some more and realize how much of a fucktard you are currently
#35 Edited by Megalon (1392 posts) -

I'm curious, to the people who have a serious dislike of Nirvana - how old are you? I think if you weren't a teen-20's when Nirvana was around you just don't realize the impact they had on culture and music. It seems like people tend to dismiss older music as lame or unimportant too often, maybe because you're used to where music is now or can't relate to the culture of the time period. I mean jeez, I see Beatles and Zeppelin hate on a certain other RB board that will go unnamed, and that's just damn ridiculous. Even if Nirvana or whomever is not your cup of tea, surely you must concede that they made good music that a lot of people liked and ultimately had significant influence over the musicians you currently like.

I'm not addressing people who dislike the particular songs being released, as I don't care too much for those either. Just the "Nirvana sucks donkey balls" people.

#36 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

Lounge Act, FUCK YES.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.