Anyone buying the sequel that didn't get the original?

#1 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -

This is a strange way to kick things off, I know, but I'm curious if this is the case for anyone.

I purchased it at launch and haven't regretted it, but I know a lot of people who were a bit weary of spending $180 on a big bundle like this.

So, anyone who was waiting: Are you now picking up the sequel's bundle or are you gonna leech off of some friends?

#2 Posted by Fei (218 posts) -

I did not purchase the first one. I will buy a 360 just for Rock Band 2 because of great thrash bands like Testament, Megadeth, and Burton-era Metallica. Not to mention the likes of Dream Theater and Judas Priest. I played the first one a lot, but it was owned by a friend.

#3 Posted by totof31 (6 posts) -

I'm in Europe, and just a student so well can't afford the game;)
Maybe if rock band 2 is cheaper I might, but I think there's more chance for it to come out with a real life size bon jovi statue than to be affordable.

#4 Posted by Bolt3 (125 posts) -

I'm in Europe also, and since Rock Band 1 isn't due out until sometime next month for PS3 users like me, I've just decided to wait and import the RB2 bundle so I can benefit from the new instruments :)

#5 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I bought Rock Band at launch and absolutely love it...I think that anyone who may be interested in Rock Band before will actually buy RB2 for some of the big changes. Online World Tour was the biggest thing I wanted and it's going to be in RB2. I will say that I am currently a bit torn between RB2 and GH: World Tour. The abilty to create my own music in GH:WT is very interesting to me.

#6 Posted by pbhawks45 (736 posts) -
Kush said:
"I bought Rock Band at launch and absolutely love it...I think that anyone who may be interested in Rock Band before will actually buy RB2 for some of the big changes. Online World Tour was the biggest thing I wanted and it's going to be in RB2. I will say that I am currently a bit torn between RB2 and GH: World Tour. The abilty to create my own music in GH:WT is very interesting to me.
"
I don't think the music creation system is going to be that great. I may be wrong, but I think .1% of the people who create music on GHWT will actually be worth playing. Most of it will just be insanely hard stuff, and will turn into a pissing contest as to who can score the best on crazy hard guitar songs.

#7 Posted by Roboto (25 posts) -

I have been playing Rock Band every day since I got it (a month ago), and am on pins and needles every week when they announce DLC.  I've bought over 50+ DLC songs, and always keep about 5-7 songs worth of MSpoints in the account for impulse buys.

I'm  beyond excited for this. My family budget doesn't really have room for more games, but the wife said if I built a deck I promised her a while ago, she'd get it for me as an anniversary present.

#8 Posted by Wolverine (4276 posts) -

I never bought Rock Band but I have played it a ton at friend's houses. I think I am going to get Rock Band 2 and then by Rock Band 1 so I will also have those songs.

#9 Posted by Gnorbooth (277 posts) -

My girlfriend has had the original so thats how I have gotten my Rock Band on.  Eagerly awaiting 2 so I can purchase it and finally have pieces of plastic to call my own!

#10 Posted by IndieBoy (109 posts) -

Yeah I think I might. However, I have to see the price in Germany/UK and if GH4 is good.

#11 Posted by TheToecutter (125 posts) -

I'm gonna buy the sequel as Rock band 1 has only been out here in Ireland for about 2 months and then Rock Band 2 was announced for September so I held out

#12 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

yeah it depends on the cost

#13 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I don't even know when the PS3 version is coming out. Never got Rockband, but I did get GH.

I'm not getting either, not even World Tour.

#14 Posted by LouChou (458 posts) -
totof31 said:
"I'm in Europe, and just a student so well can't afford the game;)
Maybe if rock band 2 is cheaper I might, but I think there's more chance for it to come out with a real life size bon jovi statue than to be affordable.
"
That fucking game cost the price of a month's rent.
#15 Posted by elliooo (293 posts) -

Yeah I'd say I'll be getting Rock Band 2 and won't be getting the original. It looks like niether game will be coming out in Australia any time soon, so I think I may as well bother with the newer game rather than go with the old.

#16 Posted by MisterMollusk (400 posts) -

I'm gonna wait a while and see if they come out with another sequel (seems kind of soon for another drum kit already). It'd be nice if they just settled on a standard equipment set because people will only be new equipment for so long.

#17 Posted by faustyn (615 posts) -

i got the original one on it's release in Europe. i bought the whole bundle and i love it. i play the game everyday since i got it so that means something ;d
i'll probably buy rock band2 without the instruments. or only with the drums because that's supposed to go for like 80$. so in Europe it means 800000000€ ;asdasd (j/k. but everything (consoles+games) is still overpriced in comparison to the prices in u.s).

#18 Posted by AndrewP (89 posts) -

I got the the special edition around Christmas time, and I'm going to be buying just to discs for RB2 and GH:WT. I might consider buying the Ion drums sometime down the road if they're still around. I already have a metal reinforced pedal so there's not that much incentive for me to buy all new instruments (drums are all I really play.)

#19 Posted by tsduv21 (23 posts) -

I'll probably play over at my friend's.

#20 Posted by Philanthropy (142 posts) -

Never had the first rock band but I am gonna buy Rock Band 2.

#21 Posted by Patchinko (841 posts) -

I'm not sure if I'll get this or GHWT.

I'm a big GH fan, and I like Rock Band, but since the two don't have compatible instruments, I'm going to wait and see which gets better reviews, which has a better set list, etc. I've been a Harmonix fan since Amplitude, so it's hard to imagine not getting the Harmonix game in this case, but we'll see.

The whole thing with them not having compatible instruments is incredibly lame, by the way.

#22 Posted by Knibbly (107 posts) -

Never owned the first but I played it to death at my neighbors house so I'll definitely be buying this one!

#23 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

I am, i expected a fast coming sequel

#24 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -
Patchinko said:
"I'm not sure if I'll get this or GHWT.

I'm a big GH fan, and I like Rock Band, but since the two don't have compatible instruments, I'm going to wait and see which gets better reviews, which has a better set list, etc. I've been a Harmonix fan since Amplitude, so it's hard to imagine not getting the Harmonix game in this case, but we'll see.

The whole thing with them not having compatible instruments is incredibly lame, by the way."
There's great news on this front, by the way. All instruments between the games will be compatible from future releases onward, at least on the 360. There's no word on whether Neversoft & Activision are willing to support this on the PS3, but rumor has it Microsoft is forcing it on them for the 360 (due to the implemented wireless technology).
#25 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

Well hopefully it'll be out in Europe sooner than the original was as we never got a chance to buy the original - if so, me and some friends will split the cost probably.

#26 Posted by Dachef (106 posts) -

I bought the original and totally loved it. I'm almost certainly going to buy Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero: World Tour.

#27 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

I plan on getting RB2 and i didn't own RB. It has a much better song collection, as far as im concerned.

#28 Posted by Blueblur1 (344 posts) -

I didn't buy Rockband. I've always stuck with Guitar Hero 2 and 3 just simply because its a mostly a single player game. My friends' schedules are completely different so I saved my money. But after reading some much about Guitar Hero World Tour and RB2, I'm totally looking forward to playing both games.

#29 Posted by DanCarmichael (220 posts) -

I never got the original. It was far to expensive here in the UK. I'll likely just hold out for RB2 then just buy the game disk for the original.

#30 Posted by Patchinko (841 posts) -
Mourne said:
"Patchinko said:
"I'm not sure if I'll get this or GHWT.

The whole thing with them not having compatible instruments is incredibly lame, by the way."
There's great news on this front, by the way. All instruments between the games will be compatible from future releases onward, at least on the 360. There's no word on whether Neversoft & Activision are willing to support this on the PS3, but rumor has it Microsoft is forcing it on them for the 360 (due to the implemented wireless technology).
"
Hadn't heard that, but that is good news. Hopefully the same is true on the PS3 since I don't have a 360 (don't see why it wouldn't be).

I have been hoping that even if the first party instruments aren't cross-compatible, Logitech or someone else will release versions that are. The whole drum set fiasco is pretty stupid, and one would hope the decision makers at both companies would realize they have more to gain by releasing them with cross-compatible hardware anyway.
#31 Posted by jlaudio7 (326 posts) -

Im still torn in between Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero: World Tour. I bought GH3 last year and regretted it months later, but the new GH has a create-your-own-song mode. But I'll have to compare the song lists between the 2 games and see if the song creator mode in GH is good or not. If the song creator is a total bust, I'll most likely be going with Rock Band 2.

#32 Posted by fuzzay (203 posts) -

Me. There was a pretty cool pub just down the way that had a Rock Band set-up, so I used to just go there to play the game.

#33 Posted by Homer (1372 posts) -

I bought number one, but not getting number 2.

#34 Posted by optimusprime223 (396 posts) -

was gonna get the original in september, but not sure if i should wait or not cause new kit looks alot better. but being in england i dont know when uk will see release...

#35 Posted by Kevin (369 posts) -

I leeched Rock Band off of my friend, but being the numb nuts that he is he broke the drums and microphone, and now can't find the game. I was planning on getting the Rock Band 2 bundle, but now that it's coming later than the release, I'm bummed.

#36 Posted by owenneil (124 posts) -

I never bouhgt RB, My friend did this year and i really injoyed it. so im going to get RB2 and the new GH.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.