Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 14, 2008

Harmonix, MTV Games, and EA return with the sequel to Rock Band. Rock Band 2 ships with 84 on-disc songs, 20 free downloadable songs, compatibility with all DLC, and the ability to import most songs from the first Rock Band.

Snoop Dogg?

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By A Likely Story
    http://www.giantbomb.com/news/snoop-dogg-coming-to-rock-band/922/?linktags=home,home-news

Quoted from the Rock Band official forums:

MTV AND SNOOP DOGG GET DOWN TO BUSINESS; UNPRECEDENTED DEAL CROSSES THE GLOBE WITH TV, ROCK BAND® AND NEW MUSIC

"“Dogg After Dark” to Premiere Tuesday, February 17th at 9pm ET/PT on MTV

New York, NY – February TK, 2009 – MTV and icon, record producer, entrepreneur and actor, Snoop Dogg today announced a first-of-its kind global deal that will bring the entertainers’ personality to television in a new variety talk show, “Dogg After Dark,” and his music to fans with a new album release and into the best-selling music video game Rock Band®.

Premiering on Tuesday, February 17th at 9pm ET/PT on MTV, Snoop Dogg will host “Dogg After Dark,” a new jam packed weekly variety talk show from Los Angeles hotspot Kress on Hollywood Boulevard. “Dogg After Dark” will bring his Doggystyle swagger to the airwaves with raw interviews with A-list celebrities and musicians, hilarious sketch-comedy segments and musical performances from the hottest artists. The show will air every Tuesday night for seven weeks and feature Snoop’s own in-house band, the “Snoopadelics.”

“When Van Toffler and I sat down Boss to Boss, a global quintuple threat takeover was masterminded. As the world of entertainment keeps changing, we felt it was the right time to let Snoop Dogg back on MTV so we could continue to run thangs with music, movies, DVDs and bring Hip-Hop to Rock Band." said Snoop Dogg. "So screw ya wigz on tight and tune in on Tuesday nights for the first step to the next level of Snoop D-O double G. Dogg after Dark is the only nightclub tv show hosted by you know who. So take a journey with me through the mind, body, soul and musical mindstate of the most prolific, authentic game spitter. And tha sh*t is funny, so show me da money!”

"Snoop has been a mainstay across MTV screens for over a decade by pushing the boundaries of hip-hop with his signature antics, incredible catalogue of music, legendary videos, larger than life personality and even a little controversy," said Van Toffler, President, MTV Networks Music / Films / Logo Groups. "I can't even begin to imagine MTV, my tumultuous career and several raging ulcers without the Dogg being such a big part of our history. He is an undeniable international superstar whose talent and work transcend music, tv and film and we look forward to launching this new multidimensional partnership with the Doggfather."

“From iconic VMA performances to DoggyFizzle Televizzle and everything imaginable in between, MTV has always been a home for Snoop's music and comedic expressions and will continue to be that through this exciting new partnership,” said Amy Doyle, Executive Vice President of Music and Talent for MTV.

The Grammy-Award nominated rapper’s unprecedented deal with MTV will let loose Snoop Dogg’s upcoming, new album, Malice In Wonderland, with global distribution, marketing and promotion. Featuring some seemingly unlikely musical guests, the album will feature tracks by Dr Dre, Pharrell and Lalo Shifrin, is scheduled to be released later this year. In addition, songs from Snoop Dogg’s impressive catalogue of hits will be released on MTV’s hot-selling Rock Band® music video game platform.

“Dogg After Dark” is Executive Produced by Snoop Dogg. Tony DiBari, Tim Healy and Karen Frank are Executive Producers for MTV. Matt Parillo is Executive in Charge of Production. Leslie Greif and Adam Freeman of the Greif Company are Executive Producers. Ted Chung and Constance Schwartz of Snoopadelic Pictures are Executive Producers."

I don't care how popular he is (or thinks he is) in that genre of music, this does not belong in Rock Band, even if it is optional. End of story.
    Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Megalon

I'm kind of curious how well Snoop's songs will translate over to Rock Band. I'm not against getting new musicians in the game, but at the same time I can't really how this will be fun to play on any of the instruments. I don't know, maybe it will surprise me. 

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Phished0ne

Questions about the songs "belonging" or not aside, they will be fun for people like me, that download songs that i would have fun singing by-myself but would not dare subject my friends to playing on the instruments.  Its very interesting to see the public outcry against Snoop, but no one complained when the MC Frontalot song came out. Frontalot is as much rap as Snoop Dogg, reguardless of his standing in "geek culture".

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There's nothing wrong with giving more variety.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By A Likely Story
    Phished0ne said:
    "Questions about the songs "belonging" or not aside, they will be fun for people like me, that download songs that i would have fun singing by-myself but would not dare subject my friends to playing on the instruments.  Its very interesting to see the public outcry against Snoop, but no one complained when the MC Frontalot song came out. Frontalot is as much rap as Snoop Dogg, reguardless of his standing in "geek culture"."
    If I recall correctly, Frontalot was a part of a charity pack, wasn't it? Maybe I'm thinking of a different pack, though.

And I'm all for more diversity in Rock Band's music library, but this is just a way for MTV to publicize his new album, an album that will most likely not translate well in the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even so, it doesn't hurt the game. It's not making you enjoy it any less.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac

It's MTV. End of story.

If it were a smart group behind it, they would have "Turn It Up" by Public Enemy/Anthrax on there. Rapping and instruments together. Good deal.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Phished0ne

Hobbies said:
    "Phished0ne said:
    "Questions about the songs "belonging" or not aside, they will be fun for people like me, that download songs that i would have fun singing by-myself but would not dare subject my friends to playing on the instruments.  Its very interesting to see the public outcry against Snoop, but no one complained when the MC Frontalot song came out. Frontalot is as much rap as Snoop Dogg, reguardless of his standing in "geek culture"."
    If I recall correctly, Frontalot was a part of a charity pack, wasn't it? Maybe I'm thinking of a different pack, though.

And I'm all for more diversity in Rock Band's music library, but this is just a way for MTV to publicize his new album, an album that will most likely not translate well in the game.

Unddoubtedly, yes, the songs are to promote his new album, but the songs are back-catalogue, probibly his more popular songs that, i repeat will be fun for people that happen to enjoy rap as well as rock. I understand the compound issue of  it not being "rock" and solely a promotional tool, but simply saying "It doesn't belong, end of story." without explaining yourself puts out the wrong idea, and makes you sound like a fun-ruiner.  

And yes, the Frontalot songs were part of the PAX pack, which was for Child's play, I only brought it up due to my misconception about why you felt the songs "didnt belong" but now that i do understand your issue, the point is moot.

Arkthemaniac said:
    "It's MTV. End of story.
    If it were a smart group behind it, they would have "Turn It Up" by Public Enemy/Anthrax on there. Rapping and instruments together. Good deal.
    "

I agree with this whole heartedly, i posted on the news post that although i will enjoy these snoop songs(most likely) there are way better choices.  There are several Rappers who have done performances with full rock-style outfits, including Jay-Z( a MUCH better choice, even if it were those songs he performed with Linkin Park).  I think its time MTV payed off Apple Music so we can have Danger Mouse's Grey Album in Rock Band(Beatles + Jay-Z = Amazing)

The most interesting part is i swear i remember Harmonix saying they didn't want rap in for the sole purpose of it most likely not being fun for anyone else besides the singer, funny how MTV changes things innit?
    rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rexualhealing

I would like some MC Chris in ma Rock Band, plz.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Phished0ne
    rexualhealing said:
    "I would like some MC Chris in ma Rock Band, plz."
    QFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rexualhealing said:
    "I would like some MC Chris in ma Rock Band, plz."
    Maybe someday... Sigh...
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By A Likely Story
    Phished0ne said:
    "Unddoubtedly, yes, the songs are to promote his new album, but the songs are back-catalogue, probibly his more popular songs that, i repeat will be fun for people that happen to enjoy rap as well as rock. I understand the compound issue of  it not being "rock" and solely a promotional tool, but simply saying "It doesn't belong, end of story." without explaining yourself puts out the wrong idea, and makes you sound like a fun-ruiner.  

And yes, the Frontalot songs were part of the PAX pack, which was for Child's play, I only brought it up due to my misconception about why you felt the songs "didnt belong" but now that i do understand your issue, the point is moot."
    My bad for not being more clear in my original post, but I do think it kind of goes without saying that this genre of music just won't work well with Rock Band. I do listen to some rap as well (though nothing like Snoop Dogg), but I definitely don't think it'd be fun to play in Rock Band, even for singing (but that's probably because I sound like such a dork when I try to rap). I'd be fine with more stuff like Rage Against the Machine, sort of a rap/rock mix, though.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Phished0ne
    Hobbies said:
    My bad for not being more clear in my original post, but I do think it kind of goes without saying that this genre of music just won't work well with Rock Band. I do listen to some rap as well (though nothing like Snoop Dogg), but I definitely don't think it'd be fun to play in Rock Band, even for singing (but that's probably because I sound like such a dork when I try to rap). I'd be fine with more stuff like Rage Against the Machine, sort of a rap/rock mix, though."
    I see your point completely, i just think having rap songs will be amusing in a party enviroment were everyone is tipsy, good for the rest of the band because its easy, and entertaining to watch the inevitble folly of a dork rapping. Think Jeff and Ryan singing Hit Me Baby One More Time

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Verdugo

I wonder how this will turn out.

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shazam

Variety is the spice of life. Rock Band are just trying to spice things up so I have no beef with that.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't really care: I just won't buy it. There is nothing wrong with mixing up the course here and there, so why not put in some rap or country, blah blah blah? As long as their focus is still rock music, there is little reason to complain.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By A Likely Story
    Shazam said:
    "Variety is the spice of life. Rock Band are just trying to spice things up so I have no beef with that."
    More like MTV is trying to make some money. I really doubt Harmonix would actually approach an artist like Snoop Dogg on their own. >_>
    Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shazam
    Hobbies said:
    "Shazam said:
    "Variety is the spice of life. Rock Band are just trying to spice things up so I have no beef with that."
    More like MTV is trying to make some money. I really doubt Harmonix would actually approach an artist like Snoop Dogg on their own. >_>"

True but it's still different. Don't quite see how a jamming session would work out but I won't knock it till I try it.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Phished0ne
    Hobbies said:
    More like MTV is trying to make some money. I really doubt Harmonix would actually approach an artist like Snoop Dogg on their own. >_>"
    I dont know thoguh how much of a cross-over there is bettween rock band and rap music, it dosent seem like a smart "cash grab" to me.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By MetalGearSunny

This is just stupid.

"Hey, man you wanna rock out to some SNOOP DOG!?
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422

Who the fuck playing Rock Band gives a shit about Snoop Dog....

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Phished0ne
    pause422 said:
    "Who the fuck playing Rock Band gives a shit about Snoop Dog...."
    Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "
    This is just stupid.

"Hey, man you wanna rock out to some SNOOP DOG!?"

see? this is my point, if it is soley a cash-grab, its a utterly fucking stupid one, for every one person like me, who will download it, there will be at least 2 people like them who wont, and might even hold it against MT V in the future, And its not  as good a promotional tool for the new album because its back-catalogue songs.

People have to get use to Rock Band as the new form of karaoke, there are going to be songs on there that the only purpose of playing them is so your singer makes a fool of himself/herself.  Alanis Morrisset is a perfect example of this, most of the other parts are boring, besides being able to laugh at your (possibly male) singer having to sing Alanis, i know i've done it to my friends.  
    Blueprint12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Blueprint12

Yeah I'm curious on how this is all gonna work out.  Hopefully they put What's My Name or G'z and the Hustlaz on there if they're going to put Snoop Dogg.

But if they were going to put hip-hop on Rock Band, I would wish they would put in The Roots, since they're actually a band.  ?uestlove's drumming is sick and I would love to play Here I Come and The Seed 2.0 on drums.  Then also Public Enemy and Anthrax - Bring The Noise and By the Time I Get To Arizona (also by Public Enemy) would be sick to see on Rock Band.

At least it's going farther than just "Beastie Boys"  I think the farthest a rock game gone with hip-hop was with Run-DMC on GH: Aerosmith.

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By William

They did it for levio91.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Phished0ne
    Blueprint12 said:
    "Roots, since they're actually a band.  ?uestlove's drumming is sick and I would love to play Here I Come and The Seed 2.0 on drums."

Yes! the were one of the bands i was thinking would eventually come out if this experiment works.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OmegaPirate

Can i have a translation on what Snoop Dog said please?

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Phished0ne

Snoop Dogg said:
    "“When Van Toffler and I sat down Boss to Boss, a global quintuple threat takeover was masterminded. As the world of entertainment keeps changing, we felt it was the right time to let Snoop Dogg back on MTV so we could continue to run thangs with music, movies, DVDs and bring Hip-Hop to Rock Band." said Snoop Dogg. "So screw ya wigz on tight and tune in on Tuesday nights for the first step to the next level of Snoop D-O double G. Dogg after Dark is the only nightclub tv show hosted by you know who. So take a journey with me through the mind, body, soul and musical mindstate of the most prolific, authentic game spitter. And tha sh*t is funny, so show me da money!” 
    "The Shit is funny, so show me da money!"

thats all i have to say.

rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rexualhealing
    Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "This is just stupid.

"Hey, man you wanna rock out to some SNOOP DOG!?"
    If you say this at a crazy drunken videogames party you would probably get some positive answers to that question AND have a lot of fun playing Snoop Dogg songs too.

It might be a cash grab, but not every DLC song has to be serious business. I've had more fun playing songs like "Charlene" by Stephen Colbert with friends than I have playing songs I actually like (i.e. "Alex Chilton", "Psycho Killer", "Peace Sells").

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.