Who here plays a real instrument?

• 141 results
#1 Posted by antcar11 (45 posts) -

Just wondering how many other people here play a real instrument.

Thanks to Rock Band i finally convinced my parents to let me get a drum kit. I had wanted one since i was a little kid, but they has always said no. But after i got good at the drums on rock band they finally broke down and let me get a kit.

#2 Posted by Timma1083 (566 posts) -

I do play a real instrument, however its not a guitar, bass, or drums  :P

#3 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

I play several.

#4 Edited by ThomasP (1661 posts) -

I play guitar. Acoustic and electric. I want to learn how to play the piano and harmonica.

#5 Posted by TurboMan (7736 posts) -

I play bass guitar, learning guitar, and due to rock band, I can keep up on Drums

#6 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (560 posts) -

I play piano, and know what I knew from that plus other stuff to know a little guitar.

#7 Posted by TheLimper (15 posts) -

I play the real guitar. I definitely have love for both Rock Band and really playing. The problem is that guitar takes a lot of practice to really progress.

That's why I am glad I can just jam Rock Band with friends when life gets too busy.

#8 Posted by ThePainkiller (39 posts) -

I play real electric guitar, but because of rock band I've now become a serviceable drummer.

#9 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -

I'm trying to teach myself to play bass guitar, though it's not going so well. : \

#10 Posted by dreamachine (117 posts) -

officially:

bass
keyboard/piano/organ
theremin
programming
loops
& production

unofficially: everything [just really badly]

#11 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

I play keyboards.

#12 Posted by kratos (208 posts) -
antcar11 said:
"Just wondering how many other people here play a real instrument.

Thanks to Rock Band i finally convinced my parents to let me get a drum kit. I had wanted one since i was a little kid, but they has always said no. But after i got good at the drums on rock band they finally broke down and let me get a kit."
I actually had the same thing happen.
#13 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

I play guitar

#14 Posted by Bkorns4 (129 posts) -
antcar11 said:
"Just wondering how many other people here play a real instrument.

Thanks to Rock Band i finally convinced my parents to let me get a drum kit. I had wanted one since i was a little kid, but they has always said no. But after i got good at the drums on rock band they finally broke down and let me get a kit."
Exact same story for me. i picked up a drum kit about a month ago, and i'm already pretty damn good at drums...thank you rock band!
#15 Posted by SpeedMan72 (25 posts) -

i can play bass.

#16 Posted by Xeros606 (545 posts) -

i play electric guitar. i wanna learn either bass guitar, classic guitar, drums, and piano, but i wanna get really good at guitar first. probably not gonna happen though. :(

#17 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I play guitar and piano, I also used to play drums when I was younger.

#18 Posted by Hannibal (863 posts) -

Bass, but I play Rock Band drums.

#19 Posted by McDazzle (544 posts) -

I play Guitar and keyboard

#20 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

I have been playing guitar for five years

#21 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

I play the piano. I have never had any professional training, but I play by ear.

#22 Posted by Ysy (66 posts) -

I just picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Standard fairly recently, so I'm excited to start learning.  Since middle school I've wanted to play guitar and I finally decided to treat myself on my birthday.  Previously though, I'm proficient with both bass recorder and alto/tenor/bass/soprano saxophone.  I was a band nerd in school.

#23 Posted by NeoTheta (225 posts) -

I've been playing bass since 2006.  I also play violin, and can do a bit of guitar.

#24 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

Guitar (3 years) Bass (2 years)

#25 Posted by fishdalf (39 posts) -

Yeah, i've been playing guitar for about 4 years. Sadly i've only been playing on and off though and never took anything too seriously, which means i'm still only an intermediate player.

#26 Posted by SlayingShogun (257 posts) -
dreamachine said:
"officially:

bass
keyboard/piano/organ
theremin
programming
loops
& production

unofficially: everything [just really badly]
"
where did you get a theremin?
As for me i play bass, guitar,keyboard,mandolin,and drums

#27 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -

I play electric guitar, acoustic guitar, basics of bass, piano, drum kit, trumpet, recorder, timpani, and xylophone.

I also enjoy singing and dancing.

Yeah... music is a huge part of my life :P

#28 Posted by KiLL3r (100 posts) -

I've been playing the acoustic Guitar for 2 years now. I'll eventually get an electric Guitar once I think I'm ready for it.

#29 Posted by RedRoach (1216 posts) -

i play drums, a little bit of electric guitar too

#30 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

I played the piano when i was 8.
Dose that count?

#31 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

I just started playing electric guitar a few weeks back.

#32 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -
#33 Posted by greenbean (47 posts) -

I've owned a guitar for 4 years but never took it seriously until about a year ago (and i still can't play it particularly well) and I got a bass about 3 months ago. I want to learn the drums eventually.

#34 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -

Iv been playing guitar for 4 years.

#35 Posted by MikPick (333 posts) -

Bass and three types of saxophone.

#36 Posted by polki (13 posts) -

I've played bass for a couple of years, and i have four basses. one cheap and one expeensive fourstring, one fivestring and one fretless. i'd say i'm fairly alright.

#37 Posted by Dachef (106 posts) -

I play trumpet and mellophone. I'm learning to play guitar a bit.

#38 Posted by Xeno (130 posts) -

I don't play any instruments, but I worked my way through the expert drum tour and I now really want a drum set.

#39 Posted by jlaudio7 (326 posts) -

I play the keyboard and the bass guitar.

#40 Posted by Hyper_Hedgehog (86 posts) -

I play bass and acoustic guitar.

#41 Posted by legend_cloud (359 posts) -

I can play the piano.

#42 Posted by sponge3164 (407 posts) -
Timma1083 said:
"I do play a real instrument, however its not a guitar, bass, or drums  :P
"
same haha
I play Alto Saxophone, Euphonium, practicing keyboard atm. I also want to buy a bass soon.
#43 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I play the piano, although I took a break for a few years and have tried to get back into playing.

#44 Posted by Stokes (201 posts) -

Little bit of Piano and a little bit of guitar.  But man does guitar take a while to get good at.

#45 Posted by ExoM7 (173 posts) -

I play guitar, bass, drums, and sing quite well imho...Rock Band is kind of useless to me. But I enjoy it anyway.

#46 Posted by JNYR (112 posts) -

I've been playing guitar for about 5 years, I started learning bass guitar about 5 months ago and I've become pretty good at it.

#47 Posted by ouvintes (61 posts) -

Guitar, bass and programming. Instruments are hard to learn and I'm a lazy ass so I'm impressed I ended up being a musician.
I think for those who lack the body coordination to play real instruments, programming music on a computer can be a lot of fun. Isn't there going to be a creation mode in the next Rock Band or Guitar Hero ?

#48 Posted by audecide (10 posts) -

Guitar, Bass (i've even taken a lick at upright -- which EVERYONE should at least take a picture of themselves at least holding an upright bass, you'll at least have one really cool picture of yourself that way, especially if you're in a suit), Piano, Saxophone, Recorder (if you want to count it -- hot cross buns damnit!), and i'm slowly but surely learning drums.

I also do music recording/programming and such, have a B.A. that says I can run a live sound board, and currently working on getting similar pieces of paper that say I can run a studio sound board and that i'm a master of ProTools.

#49 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Nope, none at all.

#50 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

I play guitar and violin.  I played piano when I was 9. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.