Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 14, 2008

Harmonix, MTV Games, and EA return with the sequel to Rock Band. Rock Band 2 ships with 84 on-disc songs, 20 free downloadable songs, compatibility with all DLC, and the ability to import most songs from the first Rock Band.

Will you be buying the drum cymbals?

potoskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By potoskull

I'm curious to see how many will buy cymbals. Is it a bid deal to you to have them?

AceOfSpades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By AceOfSpades

I plan on buying them, if I can afford it.

Disclaim3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Disclaim3r

Well, they don't really change the gameplay, but I might pick them up to make it feel less "fake-drumsy".

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By faustyn

i'll probably buy those but i don't know yet. i have to test them first ;D

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Shocker

I am undecided. I'm pretty sure I will end up getting them soon.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Lava

I don't think I will. I like the fact that the drum pads for Rock Band (1) are simple. More "hardcore" players would probably want to pick them up, but I enjoy it for what it is now.

Kevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kevan

I am thinking very hard about it but I just really wish I knew the price.

gameshark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By gameshark5

it really wil depend on the price, if its not overly expensive, ill get them for sure.

<$20 would be ideal

HakenGaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HakenGaken

Speaking here as someone who has actually played drums for 30 years, I don't think I'm going to be able to resist getting the Ion drums.  The best thing about the drums in Rock Band are that they are so much like playing real drums.  The worst thing about the drums in Rock Band is that they are not quite like playing real drums.  Anything that makes them closer to the real thing is going to be better.  Unless - and this is a big unless - the game doesn't account for them in the chart.  Here is an example:  you probably know that on real drums the hi-hat is to the left of the snare.  In Rock Band, the hi-hat is normally to the right of the snare, unless you are playing 16th notes (think Orange Crush on expert).  In that case, it changes your snare to your hi-hat, and vice versa.  So, If you have a cymbal pad in the correct (read:  to the left of the snare) hi-hat position, Rock Band needs to NOT switch the position of the snare and hi-hat for 16th note sections.  If the new game accounts for that detail, then, yeah, the cymbals are totally worth it.  If not, forget it.

Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Timma1083

Undecided, if anything I'll probably ask for them for Christmas or my Birthday or something like that.
    Although I still want the price, that'll be the main factor as to if I get them or not

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mourne

Yeah, absolutely.

Avatar image for evil_bunny_santa
    Evil_Bunny_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Evil_Bunny_Santa

pass. the only way i would get them is if it would work for guitar hero world tour and i think it will but that makes a paradox becuase im not going to get world tour so i guess my answer remains no

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By somesthetic

if they make a version of the Ion drum kit for the PS3 I'm going to save up and buy that.

I have an acoustic drum kit, but it's too loud to practice on, so I've been interested in getting an electronic one, and a cheap electronic one that also doubles as a game controller when I inevitably give up trying to be a real drummer would be ideal.

Bolt3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bolt3

I'll think I'll end up buying them, really depends how much they decide to charge us for it though.

Electric_Zen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Electric_Zen

I'll get the cymbals, but I certainly hope that I can choose a vendor other than Mad Catz to buy them from.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By A Likely Story

Probably not. I don't care how realistic my drum kit looks, or any of the instruments. If I did, I'd be using the Strat instead of the Xplorer. >_>

I won't even get the new drums at all unless my current ones break.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By raahsnavj

I'm one of those that won't be getting a new drum kit until the old one dies off. And even then might have to think about it for a while. I personally don't use the drums enough to care.

Bishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bishop

I'll if there's a signifigent diffrence in gameplay I will deffinatly get it.

Knibbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Knibbly

Depends on price for me. I'll get them if its $30 for three though.

Swick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Swick

I'll probably end up getting them. I already have too much time and money invested the Rock Band franchise to try and go the Guitar Hero route.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By epic_pets

I sure will

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mourne
    jvpde said:
    "Depends on price for me. I'll get them if its $30 for three though."
    That seems to be the price, and I'd say it's a fairly good deal all things considered.
    Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By Aaron_G

I plan on getting them. I think it will add to the experience and make it better.

david_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By david_smith

doubtful.  i just bought the original drums.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DarkLegend

Not likely because it is not necessary.

Commando47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Commando47

Maybe if i had a buttload of discount coupons...or someone got tired of it then decided to sell em off.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Megalon

I might get them, but I'm leaning towards getting that fancy electric drumset (there was some info on it in game informer, and Alex Navarro was talking about it recently at e3). If you don't play actual drums there probably isn't much reason to buy the cymbals or the fancy set though.

Avatar image for foofighters1998
    foofighters1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By foofighters1998

Probably not, I would only buy them if they were needed to play the game.

fryedrycestyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fryedrycestyle

Since I love playing the drums [only on Hard though =( ] I'll be buying them. I just love actually doing something in rock band than just holding the strat and pressing the buttons. (Don't get me wrong, I still love playing expert guitar).

nymets819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By nymets819

they look intresting, but how much will they be.....

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By samfo

Do they work on the Rb1 Drums? or just on the new rb2 ones?

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By faustyn

only on the new ones. u don't have cymbal slots on your old drums.

Neurogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Neurogamer

Yeah, I was really excited to hear about that. So I'm really hoping they don't end-up being totally awful or something. If they work correctly and can be ajusted to were you can feel like you're playing a real drum kit, then I will totally buy 'em; I think $30 for all three is a deal... Now, here's a question: since they announced that they'll actually be selling single ones for $15, do you think you can add more than just a hi-hat, a ride, and crash? Say, something like a second crash? That would be sweet.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By hazelnutman

What's the point in buying something that'll make the experience "more realistic". I mean, as soon as I started playing those fake drums, I don't even care about realism anymore.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By LightYagami245

I might pick them up.

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Thunder

im probably not going to get them im fine with the regular drums. Maybe if i get enough money i will.

DrSbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DrSbaitso
    somesthetic said:
    "if they make a version of the Ion drum kit for the PS3 I'm going to save up and buy that.

I have an acoustic drum kit, but it's too loud to practice on, so I've been interested in getting an electronic one, and a cheap electronic one that also doubles as a game controller when I inevitably give up trying to be a real drummer would be ideal.
    "
    I really want this set as well, not only does it look spectacular but the fact that it doubles as an e-drum set is great, although the trouble comes in to paradise when looking at the price for all the ADDITIONAL things you have to buy. The set itself is $300 dollars and it only comes with the 4 standard drum pads, the kick pedal and 2 cymbals. To get the final cymbal you have to spend $60 additional dollars for one cymbal (ridiculous). Plus if you want a hi-hat and bass pedal you have to purchase another pedal at an undisclosed price and to top it all off you have to purchase a drum brain which is another $300 bucks. So even after all this I still want this set, i think after its all added up that's fairly close to what a regular e-drum set costs (maybe a hundred or two more) but the fact that it can be used with Rock Band is awesome. For those who haven't seen it; Drum Rocker

On a side note, does anyone know if, with this ION kit or with the standard drum set plus the cymbal pack, will you get more sounds during your fills to play with? I understand that they just double as extra pads during game play but during the fills do you think the regular green pad might change to like a floor tom and then the cymbals will actually sound like different cymbals? Seems like it would be easy enough to program, but i haven't heard it mentioned anywhere.
    Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Homer

No.

No I will not.

Burrobean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Burrobean

Apparently, with both the ION kit and the standard RB2 kit, the cymbals will in fact expand your choices on fills and in the drum trainer.  In those sections the cymbals will sound like cymbals, and the pads will sound like drums.  I even read somewhere that if you use the cymbal pad instead of the drum pad on a normal track to play a cymbal part, you get more points.  (But that was in just one online artcle out of many I read during E3).  It's pretty cool to know that the cymbals add functionality, but not in a way that renders the old drum set obsolete.  Harmonix has been very cool in not forcing anyone to buy new gear.

I may wait on the cymbals until I read some reviews, but I want 'em.  Even though I'm pretty lousy at the drums, they're a blast.  30 buck for three cybals seems like a pretty good deal as well.  I'm not hardcore enough to justify the ION set, so adding the cymbals to the stock set seems like a good option.

Just wish i could shake the small fear stirred up by the name Mad Catz.

DrSbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DrSbaitso

Excellent! Another question for anyone that might know,

Okay so we all know that GH:WT will be compatible with Rock Bands drums by taking the note charts and condensing them down from 5 pads to 4 pads, but does anyone know whether or not if you own the Rock Band Drums WITH the cymbal kit (or the ION premium drum set) will they still condense the notes down to the 4 pads or will they spread them out to 3 pads and 2 cymbals?

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By somesthetic
    DrSbaitso said:
    "somesthetic said:
    "if they make a version of the Ion drum kit for the PS3 I'm going to save up and buy that.

"
    I really want this set as well, not only does it look spectacular but the fact that it doubles as an e-drum set is great, although the trouble comes in to paradise when looking at the price for all the ADDITIONAL things you have to buy. The set itself is $300 dollars and it only comes with the 4 standard drum pads, the kick pedal and 2 cymbals. To get the final cymbal you have to spend $60 additional dollars for one cymbal (ridiculous). Plus if you want a hi-hat and bass pedal you have to purchase another pedal at an undisclosed price and to top it all off you have to purchase a drum brain which is another $300 bucks. So even after all this I still want this set, i think after its all added up that's fairly close to what a regular e-drum set costs (maybe a hundred or two more) but the fact that it can be used with Rock Band is awesome. For those who haven't seen it; Drum Rocker

On a side note, does anyone know if, with this ION kit or with the standard drum set plus the cymbal pack, will you get more sounds during your fills to play with? I understand that they just double as extra pads during game play but during the fills do you think the regular green pad might change to like a floor tom and then the cymbals will actually sound like different cymbals? Seems like it would be easy enough to program, but i haven't heard it mentioned anywhere.
    "
    I'm sure someone will make a program that runs on windows that will work as well as a drum brain like they did for the original rock band kit. I'll just use that, since I'm not going on tour anytime soon. the third cymbal and hi-hat pedal aren't entirely necessary.
    Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shasam

Definitely a buy! I don't know if I will use them when playing the regular notes, but when it comes to fills you have a lot more variety, as hitting the pad will make a drum sound but hitting the cymbal will make a cymbal sound, even if it's the same colour. That's a cool feature that makes them a buy.

CheeseFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By CheeseFanatic

I'll buy the cymbals, of course!  But Mad Catz better not screw this up the same way they do when they make controllers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.