11/9 DLC: Bon Jovi, Gamestop Preorder Tracks

#1 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Rockband.com is acting up, found this at joystiq:


Available: November 9

Individual songs

  • "My Own Summer (Shove It)" - Deftones (160 Microsoft Points / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)*
  • "Blue Monday" - New Order (160 Microsoft Points / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)*
  • "Burning Down the House" - Talking Heads* (160 Microsoft Points / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)*

Bon Jovi Greatest Hits: Rock Band Edition (1,600 Microsoft Points / 2,000 Wii Points / $19.99)
  • "Bad Medicine" (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)
  • "Blaze of Glory" (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)
  • "Have a Nice Day" (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)
  • "I'll Be There For You" (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)
  • "It's My Life" (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)
  • "Lay Your Hands On Me" (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)
  • "Livin' on a Prayer" (RB3 version) (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)*
  • "Runaway" (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)
  • "Wanted Dead or Alive"* (RB3 version) (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)*
  • "We Weren't Born to Follow"* (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)
  • "Who Says You Can't Go Home"* (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)
  • "You Give Love a Bad Name" (RB3 version) (160 MSP / 200 Wii Points / $1.99)*
*Pro Guitar/Bass expansion available (80 Microsoft Points / 100 Wii Points / $0.99) 


Ok, so if I'm getting this right you can re-buy the Bon Jovi songs from RB1, RB2, and Lego: Rock Band, but with harmonies and keys (and possibly some recharted paths).  THEN you get the privilege of spending an extra dollar for pro guitar/bass on the starred tracks.  I can't tell if this is a good idea or a total money grab.
#2 Posted by Stahlbrand (835 posts) -

Its a great deal because you can either get it if you want the RB3 features in those songs, or don't get it and continue to enjoy the original versions the way you always have.  Me, I don't need the Bon Jovi reissues, but I'm super-stoked to see them as an indication that we will see some of the past DLC get updated.  Sounds like a swell deal to me in general.
 
For instance, Hell-yeah for "Burning Down the House", and if they reissue the other Talking Heads DLC with keyboard support, I will buy that pronto.  
 
In addition, I'll probably also get Blue Monday, I don't usually like to drum like a computer, but I can't say no to the 80s kitsch factor.   Also the bassline might be fun.

#3 Edited by Hobbies (976 posts) -

Eh, not a big enough Bon Jovi fan to rebuy those tracks, but would be willing to dish out money for rereleased DLC by a band I really liked. 
 
Might get the Talking Heads song, though.

#4 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -
@Wilkins_III said:
" Two bucks for harmonies and keys is rubbish and totally not worth it, unless you absolutely adore the songs. This pricing doesn't bother me because they're on-disc songs, but it will if it applies to already-owned re-released DLC too (which would mean four bucks in total for the standard charts, harmonies, and keys). "
 I like the idea of re-issues, because there are some songs that will totally be worth it.  Also, I'd like to see them add pro guitars as well, and they can't do that without reissuing the tracks.  Like you, though I have a problem with the pricing.  Full price is too much to pay for a song that I already own.
 
@Stahlbrand: Burning Down The House is a great song; one of my favorites so far.
#5 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

So, this is them admitting there will never be a $5/10 patch for keys/harmonies support?
 
I love Rock Band, but this sucks.

#6 Posted by KillerFly (396 posts) -
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" So, this is them admitting there will never be a $5/10 patch for keys/harmonies support?  "
Like make all the dlc support keys and harmonies? I have to imagine that would be close to impossible.  That said, having to rebuy songs is ridiculous, and there has to be a better solution.  I figured they would just take past dlc they deemed "important" and update it.  It shouldn't cost you more than $1 per song to get keys, harmonies, and pro-support for older dlc you already own.
#7 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@KillerFly:  Not all of it. Specifically the disc export stuff - and maybe like a monthly "best of" DLC upgrade pack.
 
Releasing 2 different versions of the exact same song is ridiculous. I understand they're in a difficult position, but as someone who has bought a bunch of songs over the past 2 years, I feel kinda screwed over.
#8 Posted by Timma1083 (566 posts) -

I honestly think a lot (if not most) people are blowing this price thing out of proportion for the 3 Jovi song upgrades. If they were DLC songs, I'd totally understand, but quite frankly you paid between $.80 and $1.50 for these songs, anywhere from 1 to 3 years ago, and they're on disc songs. I see this as a fine solution.   My only complaint is the fact that I can't delete the old Livin' on a Prayer and You Give Love a Bad Name without deleting my entire RB2 or L:RB export, which sucks.
 
Oh, and hell yes for Runaway.

#9 Posted by JJWeatherman (14553 posts) -
@Timma1083 said:
" I honestly think a lot (if not most) people are blowing this price thing out of proportion for the 3 Jovi song upgrades. If they were DLC songs, I'd totally understand, but quite frankly you paid between $.80 and $1.50 for these songs, anywhere from 1 to 3 years ago, and they're on disc songs. I see this as a fine solution.   My only complaint is the fact that I can't delete the old Livin' on a Prayer and You Give Love a Bad Name without deleting my entire RB2 or L:RB export, which sucks.  Oh, and hell yes for Runaway. "
If you hit yellow while on a song in the music library, it will take you to a menu. Scroll down and select delete song. 
 
I haven't done this yet, but I think that will only delete specific songs. Unless you've already tried this.
#10 Posted by Timma1083 (566 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Timma1083 said:
" I honestly think a lot (if not most) people are blowing this price thing out of proportion for the 3 Jovi song upgrades. If they were DLC songs, I'd totally understand, but quite frankly you paid between $.80 and $1.50 for these songs, anywhere from 1 to 3 years ago, and they're on disc songs. I see this as a fine solution.   My only complaint is the fact that I can't delete the old Livin' on a Prayer and You Give Love a Bad Name without deleting my entire RB2 or L:RB export, which sucks.  Oh, and hell yes for Runaway. "
If you hit yellow while on a song in the music library, it will take you to a menu. Scroll down and select delete song.  I haven't done this yet, but I think that will only delete specific songs. Unless you've already tried this. "
I haven't tried yet, but what I've heard is that with songs that are a part of packs or in the case of the exports, if you try to delete one it deletes all of them. So if I tried to delete the old Livin' on a Prayer, apparently it would delete my entire RB2 export pack.
 
At least... that's what I've heard.
#11 Posted by JJWeatherman (14553 posts) -
@Timma1083 said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @Timma1083 said:
" I honestly think a lot (if not most) people are blowing this price thing out of proportion for the 3 Jovi song upgrades. If they were DLC songs, I'd totally understand, but quite frankly you paid between $.80 and $1.50 for these songs, anywhere from 1 to 3 years ago, and they're on disc songs. I see this as a fine solution.   My only complaint is the fact that I can't delete the old Livin' on a Prayer and You Give Love a Bad Name without deleting my entire RB2 or L:RB export, which sucks.  Oh, and hell yes for Runaway. "
If you hit yellow while on a song in the music library, it will take you to a menu. Scroll down and select delete song.  I haven't done this yet, but I think that will only delete specific songs. Unless you've already tried this. "
I haven't tried yet, but what I've heard is that with songs that are a part of packs or in the case of the exports, if you try to delete one it deletes all of them. So if I tried to delete the old Livin' on a Prayer, apparently it would delete my entire RB2 export pack.  At least... that's what I've heard. "
Well that sucks. I wonder how the RB1 tracks would be handled since it exports them one by one from the disc.
#12 Posted by Zidd (1836 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: RB1 songs are deleted individually. on ps3 and 360.
#13 Posted by Falconer (1679 posts) -
@Timma1083: @JJWeatherman: Well the tracks are listed as "RB3 version" so you won't have a problem distinguishing between the new versions and the old ones.
#14 Posted by JJWeatherman (14553 posts) -
@ShaggyChu said:

" @Timma1083: @JJWeatherman: Well the tracks are listed as "RB3 version" so you won't have a problem distinguishing between the new versions and the old ones. "

 True. I was thinking the problem was more having to do with the old versions coming up on random setlists  though. Of course that's easily fixed by rating the old songs 1 lighter (which makes it never show up unless absolutely necessary). So there's no real problem I guess, unless you're OCD about your music library and really don't want to old versions.
#15 Posted by Timma1083 (566 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @ShaggyChu said:

" @Timma1083: @JJWeatherman: Well the tracks are listed as "RB3 version" so you won't have a problem distinguishing between the new versions and the old ones. "

 True. I was thinking the problem was more having to do with the old versions coming up on random setlists  though. Of course that's easily fixed by rating the old songs 1 lighter (which makes it never show up unless absolutely necessary). So there's no real problem I guess, unless you're OCD about your music library and really don't want to old versions. "
I guess I dislike the idea of having to pull a "Oh, you want harmonies? Play that version." at parties and explaining why I have two versions of the same song every time. That's really my only complaint in this situation.
#16 Edited by Marino (4578 posts) -
@Timma1083 said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

" @ShaggyChu said:

" @Timma1083:  @JJWeatherman: Well the tracks are listed as "RB3 version" so you won't have a problem distinguishing between the new versions and the old ones. "

 True. I was thinking the problem was more having to do with the old versions coming up on random setlists  though. Of course that's easily fixed by rating the old songs 1 lighter (which makes it never show up unless absolutely necessary). So there's no real problem I guess, unless you're OCD about your music library and really don't want to old versions. "
I guess I dislike the idea of having to pull a "Oh, you want harmonies? Play that version." at parties and explaining why I have two versions of the same song every time. That's really my only complaint in this situation. "
I'm pretty sure you can remove songs from your library now.  So you could make it so that only the new version appears in your song list. 
 
Edit: Congrats on 3 new quests!
Staff
#17 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

I think a better solution for this would be to offer 3 different options on the menu:
 
A) buy the (Rock Band 3 version) for $1.99  which has everything except pro guitar and pro bass (for people who don't own the song previously)
B) buy an upgrade to the (Rock Band 3 version) for $0.50 that adds Harmonies and keys. (if you already own the song)
C) buy the pro guitar and pro bass upgrade for $0.99 (which can be applied even without upgrading)
 
this would be the most versatile way to offer people options, instead of pissing off their loyal fanbase who have bought hundreds of songs from them already!  Also, while it's true we paid less for these on-disc songs, my guess is it'll be the same once they get around to updating the old DLC.
 
I'm also kind of annoyed that not all the songs get the pro guitar/pro bass treatment... they got tons of money from the years of DLC people have been buying... they can't afford to hire a few more staff members in order to make everything pro-compatible?  Even if the pro-guitar stuff can only be done accurately by the actual guitarists that they have on staff... can't they just make that the primary job of those guys and don't have them work on charting anything else?  Or, if that's still too taxing, they can hire some more actual guitarists and teach them how to use the charting system!! </rant>

#18 Posted by JJWeatherman (14553 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer said:
" I think a better solution for this would be to offer 3 different options on the menu: A) buy the (Rock Band 3 version) for $1.99  which has everything except pro guitar and pro bass (for people who don't own the song previously)B) buy an upgrade to the (Rock Band 3 version) for $0.50 that adds Harmonies and keys. (if you already own the song)C) buy the pro guitar and pro bass upgrade for $0.99 (which can be applied even without upgrading)  this would be the most versatile way to offer people options, instead of pissing off their loyal fanbase who have bought hundreds of songs from them already!  Also, while it's true we paid less for these on-disc songs, my guess is it'll be the same once they get around to updating the old DLC.  I'm also kind of annoyed that not all the songs get the pro guitar/pro bass treatment... they got tons of money from the years of DLC people have been buying... they can't afford to hire a few more staff members in order to make everything pro-compatible?  Even if the pro-guitar stuff can only be done accurately by the actual guitarists that they have on staff... can't they just make that the primary job of those guys and don't have them work on charting anything else?  Or, if that's still too taxing, they can hire some more actual guitarists and teach them how to use the charting system!! </rant> "
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that what you're asking them to do is probably MUCH more work than you realize. This is exhibit A of "easier said than done". 
 
Also, tracks with keyboard support are still just $2. I wouldn't want to play an extra $.50 for them.
#19 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -
@JJWeatherman:  I was talking more about the $.50 upgrades being just for the older tracks.... if you don't own the old track, you could pay $2 for the song with standard modes, keys, and harmonies, then for $1 you could upgrade to pro-guitar.
if you DO own the older track you could pay $.50 to upgrade to keys and harmonies, then $1 for pro guitar.
 
as it is now, no matter if you own the old track or not... upgrading it to the rock band 3 version still costs $2... then another $1 for pro guitar.
that's kind of outrageous, we're paying full price for a song we already own, provided we want the full-experience.
I think $1.50 is more than fair for songs we already own, if we're looking to upgrade them with keys, harmonies, and pro guitar.
#20 Posted by Timma1083 (566 posts) -

I think the main problem with your idea is that to simply upgrade a song with keyboards and harmonies, you not only have to add charts, you literally have to change all the audio stems, which is probably where relicensing the songs comes in, hence why we're paying in full again.

#21 Posted by Redbullet685 (6017 posts) -

What about the Billy Joel DLC? Is that out already?

#22 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -
@Timma1083:  hmmm... I suppose that DOES make sense. :-/ 
It still kinda sucks, though it's better than not getting any of those old tracks at all.
#23 Posted by copycatzen (816 posts) -

Soooo sold!
#24 Posted by Timma1083 (566 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer said:
" @Timma1083:  hmmm... I suppose that DOES make sense. :-/  It still kinda sucks, though it's better than not getting any of those old tracks at all. "
I agree; its not exactly ideal, but it certainly could be much worse. 
@Redbullet685 said:
" What about the Billy Joel DLC? Is that out already? "
The release date I heard for it is December.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.