Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Rock Band 3 spices up the brand with the addition of a keyboard peripheral as well as "Pro Mode," and offers eighty-three new songs to rock out to.

How do you plan to consume Rock Band 3?

• 73 results
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Buncha MIDI PRO-adapters 
    Buncha MIDI PRO-adapters 
    The distribution of Rock Band 3 is kinda nuts. As far as I know, they aren't releasing any kind of standard full band bundle, at least not initially. Instead, Harmonix has opted to release a keyboard + software bundle as well as the software on it's own. On the guitar front of course there are two separate "pro" guitars. One of the pro guitars launches with the game I believe, but the other is releasing a bit later. Then there's the MIDI converter box that will allow you to use any MIDI compatible keyboard, drum kit, or guitar as yet another alternative option. All of this is of course on top of all the previous years instruments. It's crazy the number of ways that people can choose to go here as far as what hardware they choose to buy. 

As for myself, I'm still not 100% sure due to no price yet being announced for the crazy Squire guitar. For the sake of being decisive though, I'm just going to assume that the guitar isn't going to be more than $300. In that case, I will probably be finding a way to buy myself that sweet Squire. I've needed a new guitar for a very long time, and Pro Guitar looks very appealing to me. I already have an ION drum kit with 3 cymbals, so I'm all set for Pro Drums there. I own one microphone, which will be enough. I rarely get together to play with more than one singer. In fact even one is an unlikely scenario. So that leaves the keyboard. I actually own a MIDI compatible full-sized (fo realzies) keyboard, so the MIDI converter box seems like a sweet deal. I'm curious as to how it will work out exactly, but I have high hopes. There is that sick specialized bass guitar with the split strum bar as well, but I honestly don't play enough bass to really make that purchase worthwhile. I can deal with using a regular guitar while on bass.

What about you guys? Are you going to buy every last stupid expensive peripheral, or are you going the pure software route? Maybe somewhere in between? I'm curious as to what everyone else is thinking when it comes to RB3 hardware.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

the keyboard bundle

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Crono11

All I can say is that I'm getting the game day one. I've been thinking about getting the keyboard but that's still to be decided.  

I'm pumped for the game though, I just passed 200 dlc songs ( oh god ).

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#4  Edited By citizenkane

Like all rhythm games so far in this fad, I plan on not consuming it at all.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bigandtasty

Late at night with two cans of Coke and two bottles of hard liquor.

Oh, I mean I'll just be a lazy butt and wait for a reasonably priced pro guitar + keyboard bundle. Still have work to do in RB2 anyway.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Gonna wait on it I think - I haven't been mashing my PBG all that much lately, and lots of RB2 is incomplete - also nothing on the RB3 set list screams "DAY ONE PURCHASE' for me. 
    I was really disappointed that there's no Pro-Guitar/Game Bundle, that's probably what I will end up waiting on, whether it comes from Harmmonix or just a store with a sale.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @SteamPunkJin: I'd like to see a Pro Guitar bundle too. If that happened though, I'd want it to be the Squire as opposed to the Mustang. 

@crono11 said:
    " ...I just passed 200 dlc songs ( oh god ). "
    I know how you feel. I have well over 300 DLC songs. I think I have a sickness.  :P
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By natetodamax

I'm gonna be rocking the Pro Guitar fo' sho'

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I will consume it all and spend ungodly amounts of money on songs just as I did the previous iterations....Still just need one more blue cymbal and I will be good to go.

My pile of plastic instruments could always be bigger.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By A Likely Story

Gonna go for the keyboard/game bundle, I think. I have the RB 2 drumset with three cymbals, at least two fully functioning guitars, and three microphones, so no need for anything else. 

I do admit, missing out on the Pro Guitar mode will be disappointing, but there's no way I'm going to pay some few hundred more dollars for it.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By 234r2we232

The usual way: Dangerously large amounts in small concentrated doses.

ATM, I'm looking at the Keyboard bundle and maybe some cymbals. Will be (frantically) waiting for the Squier Strat (FYI, pretty certain it's a MIDI guitar that is specially modified to work in RB3, so that would mean no standard MIDI support. I remember that point being stressed by Drake and co. I would like to be wrong, tho).

mourningwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By mourningwood

I've always played these games on wii because my roommate has the hardware.  I think this one will finally make me cave in and get it for PS3. EFF YEAH KEYTAR!

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By zidd

PS3 Keyboard Bundle and Mustang Pro guitar.

Dysnomia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Dysnomia

I'm probably just gonna get RB3 and the MIDI adapter.

FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

Probably going for the keyboard bundle

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By DarkShaper
    @Dysnomia: Probably gonna do it that was as well.
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#17  Edited By vigorousjammer

well, I guess it all depends on when they release the midi box... if it's out day one, I'm getting the game and a midi box to use with my midi keyboard, if it's not, then I'm getting the keyboard + game bundle, and getting the midi box later. 

I already have a triple cymbal kit, so I'm all good on that front.

Then I'm waiting it till 2011 and getting the Squire guitar, whenever they release that, provided it's not over $400... if it IS more than $400, then I'm going with the mustang.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By skrutop
    @JJWeatherman said:

1) As far as I know, they aren't releasing any kind of standard full band bundle, at least not initially  

2) I'm just going to assume that the guitar isn't going to be more than $300. In that case, I will probably be finding a way to buy myself that sweet Squire. I've needed a new guitar for a very long time, and Pro Guitar looks very appealing to me.  

3) I already have an ION drum kit with 3 cymbals, so I'm all set for Pro Drums there. I own one microphone, which will be enough. I rarely get together to play with more than one singer.

1. They're not releasing a bundle, and there's so much hardware already available that it doesn't seem necessary.  Drake said in an interview that retailers hate the bundles, so I take that as a pretty firm assertion that we won't ever see one.  I'll get the keyboard/game bundle.
    2. I think you're right on the price for the Squier, and I'm getting it eventually.  I'll probably just sell my existing cheapio guitar, provided the RB-compatible Strat doesn't sound like garbage when plugged into an amp.  I'm not happy that the Squier won't work with standard guitar tracks, so if someone picks a song without pro-mode you'll have to switch instruments.  That would be a good case for the Mustang, but I figure if you're going to go pro, you might as well go all the way.
    3. I'll get the new cymbal pack when it comes out.  I don't really like the RB2 versions of them, and one of mine broke anyway.  If you can find a Lips bundle, the wireless mic is definitely worth it.  Target had it for $15.

@Bigandtasty

said:

"I'll just be a lazy butt and wait for a reasonably priced pro guitar + keyboard bundle."

I seriously doubt that Mad Catz will bundle the Mustang and keyboard. 
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By benjaebe

Keyboard bundle for sure. Since I'm switching to the PS3 version (all my rhythm games have been on 360 so far but that RROD'd and I'm not gonna blow money on a new one) I'll have to pick up a guitar eventually too. Does anyone know if the USB mics are cross-platform?

Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zell
    @JJWeatherman said:
    @crono11 said:
    " ...I just passed 200 dlc songs ( oh god ). "
    I know how you feel. I have well over 300 DLC songs. I think I have a sickness.  :P "  
     I just recently had my 360 stolen (all my saves gone /sad face) and had to download the 700+ rock band tracks I have.... I did a majority of this over my cell connection noless as it's slightly faster then my horrid dsl.  Heres an interesting aside, it's been well over a year since my rock band library would no longer fit on a launch 360 drive. On the plus side with various exports (still need to get green day)  and the rb3 on disc songs I should crack a 1000 so YaY! 

/digression
    I plan on grabbing two cheap mic stands a hh+kick box and a kick trigger for my ions before launch and picking up the keyboard bundle and mustang the minute I can.  

I think I'm pretty set for rawking but one can always rawk harder. 
     I think I'm pretty set for rawking but one can always rawk harder. 
    Ciffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ciffy
    @JJWeatherman said:
    There is that sick specialized bass guitar with the split strum bar as well,  
    Can you tell me more about this?  I googled it but couldn't find anything about a bass specific controller.  I much prefer bass to guitar in RB so to hear about a specific controller for it is <3.
    Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zell
    @benjaebe: The wired logitech mics (these are the ones packaged with rb1&rb2)   are compatible cross platform. I bought a ps3 logitech mic for my 360 because the 360 version is white and nuts to that.  
    @Ciffy:  The bass is made by madcatz and it's pretty rad  This dude says it better then I could  I picked mine up from frys for about 60.00 be sure to use rechargeable batteries with it though because it eats them about 2-3 times faster then the standard wireless rb guitars. 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @zell: It's always good when I see someone even crazier than I am. It makes me feel better, so thanks for that.  xD
    JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JoRoNimo

Keyboard + software. 

Somewhere down the line, I might, might pick up the Squire guitar.

Scrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scrud

Defiantly getting the keyboard and software day one. 
    I already have multiple guitars and mics but will get the Squire if the price is reasonable. If a new cymbal kit comes out I may upgrade my cymbals, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of my cymbals finally breaks by then.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By Sooperspy
    @trophyhunter said:
    " the keyboard bundle "
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By jonnyboy

The disc. In a rental envelope.

I'll probably pick it up later if It's any good. Don't have any real interest in keys though, so no bundle for me.

Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zell
    @JJWeatherman: I knew it would be good for something. 
    SimbaDoozle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SimbaDoozle

I think it will be a day one buy for me, not sure about the keyboard though - as much as I would like to play it, not sure I can justify buying it because it looks much harder than using the guitar.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Ryax
    @zell: cant rock any harder than not really playing songs with plastic
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @SimbaDoozle said:

" I think it will be a day one buy for me, not sure about the keyboard though - as much as I would like to play it, not sure I can justify buying it because it looks much harder than using the guitar. "

If I'm not mistaken, Pro Mode Keys is the only time you'll see it charted with the black and white keys. Regular mode is with just five lanes identical to guitar. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can play guitar parts with the keyboard. Or maybe it's that you can play keyboard parts with the guitar. Maybe both? I easily forget things. 

(Point is, it's not hard if you don't want it to be)
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RVonE

I'll probably take a moment to think about RB3 and then continue playing Civ V. One more turn.
    SimbaDoozle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SimbaDoozle
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @SimbaDoozle said:

" I think it will be a day one buy for me, not sure about the keyboard though - as much as I would like to play it, not sure I can justify buying it because it looks much harder than using the guitar. "

If I'm not mistaken, Pro Mode Keys is the only time you'll see it charted with the black and white keys. Regular mode is with just five lanes identical to guitar. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can play guitar parts with the keyboard. Or maybe it's that you can play keyboard parts with the guitar. Maybe both? I easily forget things.  (Point is, it's not hard if you don't want it to be) "
    Ah that sounds a bit better, so in essence, you won't use all the keys unless you're playing expert?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @SimbaDoozle said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @SimbaDoozle said:

If I'm not mistaken, Pro Mode Keys is the only time you'll see it charted with the black and white keys. Regular mode is with just five lanes identical to guitar. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can play guitar parts with the keyboard. Or maybe it's that you can play keyboard parts with the guitar. Maybe both? I easily forget things.  (Point is, it's not hard if you don't want it to be) "
    Ah that sounds a bit better, so in essence, you won't use all the keys unless you're playing expert? "
    Right. I'm not fully sure how it will all work but looking at this picture: 

No Caption Provided
    You can see that there are groups of keys for each color. I'd bet that in normal mode with only 5 lanes and 5 colors, you just have to press any key within the color range to hit the note. So you'd have a choice as to exactly which keys you are playing, except for the orange section which appears to only be the one end key. I dunno, looks interesting. I look forward to playing it.
    Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zell
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @SimbaDoozle said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @SimbaDoozle said:

Ah that sounds a bit better, so in essence, you won't use all the keys unless you're playing expert? "
    Right. I'm not fully sure how it will all work but looking at this picture

You can see that there are groups of keys for each color. I'd bet that in normal mode with only 5 lanes and 5 colors, you just have to press any key within the color range to hit the note. So you'd have a choice as to exactly which keys you are playing, except for the orange section which appears to only be the one end key. I dunno, looks interesting. I look forward to playing it. "

No Caption Provided
    In regular (or guitar/bass) mode  you only use 5 keys which have little colour icons under the big ones. You can also use the a guitar to play the 5 lane keys. idk if you have to strum or not, all the videos so far of 5lane keys show them as full sized gems.  When you play pro on easy and medium the keyboard is locked to a set of 10 keys which varies by song. On hard and expert the 10 key view sifts up and down the keyboard.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @zell: Ah nice, I hadn't seen those small markers on the inside before. That honestly seems incredibly easy if you aren't moving your hand at all. I'm probably going to jump strait to Pro Mode just because it looks much more engaging and fun.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm thinking about getting the Keyboard bundle as its cheaper than buying both separately but  theres a ton of games  around it  so I might just wait it out and get the Keyboard another time seeing as those parts can be played on the guitar. I don't think I have any intention of going into the pro guitar/drums stuff because I have never progressed beyond normal on either. If I was going to try pro mode on any instrument I would try the keyboard...damn you DJ Hero/Vanquish for being out the week before!     
    tyashki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tyashki

Hopefully at all, considering Harmonix's track record with Rock Band in Aus (RB2 was and apparently never will be released here). 

Apart from that, Game + Drum MIDI adaptor, then pro guitar later.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Tyashki: What kind of e-drums do you have?
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Game with the keyboard, I'd like a full set but lack the space for it.

Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zell
    @JJWeatherman: I figured I'd jump in on hard pro keys out the gate since I've been playing rhythm games for so long. Only game to kick my ass so far is the first rock bands drums. Took me a long ass time to get passed medium (stupid limb independence) I still can't do the upper echelon of devil tier on expert .  
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @zell: The impossible level songs are definitely tough. The key most of the time is taking them into practice mode and developing the right muscle memory for the super quick and complicated parts. Takes forever to truly master that stuff though, which is why I too am not the greatest at a lot of hard songs like Visions. Shoulder To The Plow is actually a really good example of my practice paying off though. When i first got the game, I was horrible at that song. I'd fail every time super quick. Now it's still very challenging, but I have most of the hard parts down, and it's a really rewarding song when I do well on it.
    tyashki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tyashki
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Tyashki said:
    " @JJWeatherman: Yamaha DTXplorer. "
    That's so awesome. I wish I could afford something like that. Good luck with the MIDI adapter, I hope it works well.
    bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bigsmoke77

I was considering the keyboard bundle but as a result of missing three fingers on my right hand from a lawnmower accident so ill prob not get it, but that kinda just gives me an reason  to buy just the game and maybe pick up a copy of Dead Rising 2

rook538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rook538

I plan on getting the old Rock Band instruments cheap, buy them midi adapter for the keyboard I have at home, and then buy the game standalone.

Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zell
    @JJWeatherman: I don't think I've ever put a song in practice mode which is probably why I've never beaten don't fear the reaper (the last section kills me everytime) Which is super frustrating since I can beat songs like kool thing and the perfect drug nearly 100% of the time. 
    Avatar image for old_man_coaster
    Old_Man_Coaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Old_Man_Coaster

I'll be getting a keyboard bundle.  Already have the Ions, and upgraded cymbals/kick pedal, so I'm good there.  Might get the pro guitar controller at some point, but I won't do that for a little while yet.

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

I'm going for the keyboard bundle and the new cymbal kit for the RB2 drums. I'll probably get the Mustang soon after and if I really get into it I may consider the Squier. 

I would hope that the Squier comes with the MIDI box since Drake confirmed that it's basically just a MIDI guitar.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @LiquidSaiyan3 said:
    " I would hope that the Squier comes with the MIDI box since Drake confirmed that it's basically just a MIDI guitar. "
    I would hope that it will be ready to go without any additional hardware. Who knows though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.