Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Rock Band 3 spices up the brand with the addition of a keyboard peripheral as well as "Pro Mode," and offers eighty-three new songs to rock out to.

ION Gets Real: New Rock Band Set Announced

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

One device I don't need is another Rock Banddrum set. Over the riptide of releases, I've managed to collect two of the bulky instruments. And while I'd love to toss one (or preferably both), I have a partner who gives me the stink eye followed by a hint of a sneer whenever I broach the subject. Even after our move, as we stare at our crap all over the floors of our snazzy new haunt, she insists that they're essential closet clutter.

I expect more than a few of you may have the same problem, or at least, have more plastic instruments than you need. But that's not going to stop me from telling you that there's more on the way. Case in point: ION, the brains behind the biggest and most complex Rock Band drum set, is set to create an even more complex and heavier set for every Rock Band and beyond, including even Rock Band 3.

No Caption Provided
    Announced rather recently (via Joystiq), the Drum Rocker Pro Official Premium Drum Set is a premium drum set with a list of features that aren't as impressive as its long-ass name. In short, the Drum Rock Pro premium will ship with all the other crap (seen here) included with the not-premium Drum Rocker and includes a new all-metal "pro pedal" with a "dual-chain drive, adjustable beater and rubber trigger," which somehow allows for greater customizable "feel" and better physical response, and seven "super-quiet" pads that sit on top of a "configurable metal drum rack." Like the previous ION set, this kit is ready to play in Rock Band 3's new Pro Mode, which treats the cymbals as unique triggers.

Writing that previous paragraph doesn't automatically make an able drummer, but mark my words: if Harmonix includes Orgy's version of "Blue Monday" instead of New Order's (info: here) I will buy this thing and proudly shove it into my closet with the rest of my drum kits. I would also heavily consider a purchase if Harmonix drops in Depeche Mode's latest as well. 

The Drum Rocker Pro ships this holiday to coincide with the release of Rock Band 3. 

Image via Joystiq
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

One device I don't need is another Rock Banddrum set. Over the riptide of releases, I've managed to collect two of the bulky instruments. And while I'd love to toss one (or preferably both), I have a partner who gives me the stink eye followed by a hint of a sneer whenever I broach the subject. Even after our move, as we stare at our crap all over the floors of our snazzy new haunt, she insists that they're essential closet clutter.

I expect more than a few of you may have the same problem, or at least, have more plastic instruments than you need. But that's not going to stop me from telling you that there's more on the way. Case in point: ION, the brains behind the biggest and most complex Rock Band drum set, is set to create an even more complex and heavier set for every Rock Band and beyond, including even Rock Band 3.

No Caption Provided
    Announced rather recently (via Joystiq), the Drum Rocker Pro Official Premium Drum Set is a premium drum set with a list of features that aren't as impressive as its long-ass name. In short, the Drum Rock Pro premium will ship with all the other crap (seen here) included with the not-premium Drum Rocker and includes a new all-metal "pro pedal" with a "dual-chain drive, adjustable beater and rubber trigger," which somehow allows for greater customizable "feel" and better physical response, and seven "super-quiet" pads that sit on top of a "configurable metal drum rack." Like the previous ION set, this kit is ready to play in Rock Band 3's new Pro Mode, which treats the cymbals as unique triggers.

Writing that previous paragraph doesn't automatically make an able drummer, but mark my words: if Harmonix includes Orgy's version of "Blue Monday" instead of New Order's (info: here) I will buy this thing and proudly shove it into my closet with the rest of my drum kits. I would also heavily consider a purchase if Harmonix drops in Depeche Mode's latest as well. 

The Drum Rocker Pro ships this holiday to coincide with the release of Rock Band 3. 

Image via Joystiq
    edtwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By edtwo

really? dual chain drives and adjustable beater? that seems way to much for a game. might as well buy a real set. goddam my real pedal doesnt have dual chain drive

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @EdTwo said:
    " really? dual chain drives and adjustable beater? that seems way to much for a game. might as well buy a real set. goddam my real pedal doesnt have dual chain drive "
    Yeah, same here. Some 10 year old is going to have a better pedal than me when this comes out...
    JoshWittman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JoshWittman

I guess I am glad  I decided to wait on purchasing an ION set!

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By jeff

I'm still thinking about buying an ION kit, if only to further realize my MIDI drum dream.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By cap123
    @AlwaysAngry:  you only screwed someone who took the time to make a meaningful post! nice job

edit: nvm lol, you edited your post
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

God dammit. Does this mean my current ION kit won't be "pro mode" compatible??

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

I think I will stick in the next tier down of expensive plastic drum kits with plastic cymbals, for now anyway.

apertura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By apertura

ONLY $5999

XaiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By XaiaX

The comments over on joystiq suggest that the image is fake. It shows two pedals, and ION is saying it's shopped. 

However, that 2nd pedal is exactly what was in the original kit. 

Maybe Harmonix simply haven't announced 2 pedal support? (Not just double bass, but also maybe hi-hat)

Gloqwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gloqwi

Great. Now my ION drum set feels crappy. The set itself is great, but damn if the bass pedal on mine sucks. I want THAT one. I hope I can buy it separately somewhere...

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Mijati

" Pro premium will ship with all the other crap included with the not-premium Drum Rocker"

Thank you for this informative and well written article, I now know everything I need to know about this product!

Seriously...

Blueblur1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Blueblur1

Really? Another peripheral? It's all or nothing with Harmonix, apparently.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By zitosilva

More and more I see the musical genre waving goodbye to me.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ch13696

I have $1000 put away for a real drum kit. But if this ION kit is less than $200 then I'll definitely buy it along with an $800 drum kit.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dingofighter
    @JJWeatherman said:

" God dammit. Does this mean my current ION kit won't be "pro mode" compatible?? "

Like the previous ION set, this kit is ready to play in Rock Band 3's new Pro Mode, which treats the cymbals as unique triggers.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @MaFoLu said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

" God dammit. Does this mean my current ION kit won't be "pro mode" compatible?? "

Like the previous ION set, this kit is ready to play in Rock Band 3's new Pro Mode, which treats the cymbals as unique triggers. "
    lol, totally missed that part. Maybe I read it as 'unlike' instead of 'like'. Well that's awesome.
    paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By paulunga
    @EdTwo said:
    " really? dual chain drives and adjustable beater? that seems way to much for a game. might as well buy a real set. goddam my real pedal doesnt have dual chain drive "
    It IS a real set. Well, real electronic drum set.
    Avatar image for aneternalenigma
    AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AnEternalEnigma

I never understood why they tried to sell a Hi-hat pedal as a bass pedal on that Ion kit to begin with. They are two completely different things.

edtwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By edtwo
    @paulunga said:
    " @EdTwo said:
    It IS a real set. Well, real electronic drum set. "
    I have no problem with electronic sets, I almost bought one myself. My problem is that people are willing to buy this just to play Rock Band. The Tama Iron Cobra (which is one of the best pedals on the market. If you are a drummer you probably know) has dual chain drive. I dont understand why someone needs that to play Rock Band. Also, thats not a actual electronic kit. Ok I'll stop trolling now
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Oni
    @Jeff said:
    " I'm still thinking about buying an ION kit, if only to further realize my MIDI drum dream. "
    I have one, and it's pretty awesome. If you want to actually use it as MIDI drums though, be prepared to shell out another 300$-ish, as the standard brain that comes with it only works with the games.
    Justaddwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Justaddwater
    @ch13696 said:
    " I have $1000 put away for a real drum kit. But if this ION kit is less than $200 then I'll definitely buy it along with an $800 drum kit. "
    Keep in mind they're releasing a MIDI converter alongside rock band 3, meaning you (should) be able to use any electronic drum set with a MIDI output, spend all the money on a real electronic drum set.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @Gloqwi: Yes they are selling the new pedal separately for people like you.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By 234r2we232

My RB2 kit still works quite well, and I have a back up RB1 kit that works (as well as an RB1 kit can), so I'm cool atm. I've also had my eye on a real kit recently :) if only I could find the room...

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By meteora

They should make Rock Band 3 compatible with Kinect. 

Instead of playing plastic instruments and making a fool out of yourself, YOU CAN BE THE INSTRUMENT!

Chefskippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chefskippy
    @Meteora said:

"They should make Rock Band 3 compatible with Kinect.  Instead of playing plastic instruments and making a fool out of yourself, YOU CAN BE THE INSTRUMENT! "

why is it I always feel  embarrassed    when people watch me play......  yet I continue to play??   I guess im a closet RB drummer. 
    g1antb0mb3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By g1antb0mb3r

That is a lot of plastic...I STILL only have the RB1 set...good enuff for me. 

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kajaah117

If "dual-chain drive" translates to double pedals and not one pedal with 2 chains then I'm in. Dual-zone triggers would be nice for future-proofing the kit for use with a real drum module, but since the ION pads are pretty much a requirement for decent double-strokes, I have to get these not matter what. But please ION, let there be dual-zone triggers. At least a rim trigger on the snare.

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 33

#29  Edited By KillerFly

I want this real bad, although I'm not sure how I would fit this along with my full size real drum kit in my basement.

OverLord00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OverLord00

What if I already have an actual electronic kit with MIDI in/out.  Is there anything that I can buy to hook up to my PS3/360?

Adamant_Lungs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Adamant_Lungs
    @OverLord00: They have a midi box transfer thingy for a midi keyboard, however a midi guitar will not work with this and i also assume neither will a midi drum set, because instead of reading the specific notes as with the keyboard both the drums and guitar have sensors as to which pad and or fret are being hit.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By carlthenimrod

Might buy this if the price is right. Was playing Rock Band: Green Day and my drum pedal squeaks when I press it. Boo!

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cramsy
    @OverLord00 said:
    " What if I already have an actual electronic kit with MIDI in/out.  Is there anything that I can buy to hook up to my PS3/360? "
    Yeah,there will be a MIDI adapter for Rockband 3 when it's released. All MIDI drums and keyboards will work 
    Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
    TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

fuck. at least they got the cymbal placements right!

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By Tordah

That looks more like a real e-drumkit than a plastic toy for a game. I dig it. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Dovey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By Dovey

Well if Rock Band 3 is anything to go by... It's all or nothing for the Rock Band and the rhythm genre!

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By paulunga
    @EdTwo said:

"I have no problem with electronic sets, I almost bought one myself. My problem is that people are willing to buy this just to play Rock Band. The Tama Iron Cobra (which is one of the best pedals on the market. If you are a drummer you probably know) has dual chain drive. I dont understand why someone needs that to play Rock Band. Also, thats not a actual electronic kit. Ok I'll stop trolling now "

It is, you just have to shell out another 350 bucks: 
    http://www.drumrocker.com/store/index.php/dm5-drum-module.html

It might not be a particularly good one, but I haven't used it yet so I can't say.

I agree that it seems to be a bit of overkill for a videogame. Of course so does Rock Band 3's Pro mode in general.
    Petruccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Petruccio

Will I be able to Ugrade my old ION drumkit? 
    Just to buy that small hub, and other things separately?
    Also. Are this finally wireless? 
    I was upset that for 400$ which I payed to UK amazon I still had to hhok it to in to USB port. 
    And they came only with 2 cymbals. To buy 3rd t would cost me 75$ extra. It disorients when You use just two cymbals and You have to go down for the pad, because You do not have that colour.

PsYuSoFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PsYuSoFly

I'm going to buy me a real drum set in 2 weeks, but by the time I want to get this (December or late feb when all the launch broken ion's are out of the way) I'll buy the ion for sure, I would pay up to 400 just from what it seems to offer vs a real electronic drumset which could cost in the 1,000's for a real good one. Maybe I toss money away in the end my GIRLFRIEND IS GOING TO BE PISSED!!!

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EmuLeader

So is there a set price for all of this yet, or am i just going to have to wait till it gets closer to release to find out its way too expensive for me?

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MaddProdigy

Um all you guys talking about "overkill for a drum set" obviously haven't seen the rest of Rock Band 3 or it's instruments. I personally stopped shelling out cash for full games of what should be DLC after Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band 1. Maybe it's all improved and gotten wayyyy different since then but uh...i'll pass again.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MaddProdigy
    @EdTwo:  Your definition of a "real" electronic kit may vary, but by the official definition, that's a real electronic kit. At least if it comes with two pedals and all cymbals. Also, I see no problem with people spending money on it. You have a problem with people spending money on a video game? It's part of the experience man, you can't say that there is a too much. I don't understand why chicks buy shoes, skaters buy decks, and millionaires buy jets, but I can't complain.
    detectivepbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By detectivepbert

this is getting out of control.  at this point people should be purchasing the actual instruments because they are cheaper and (hopefully) sound better.  i like rockband unplugged and other handheld rhythym games but could never see the thing above in my apartment, let alone my living room.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.