Rock Band 3 Might Just Support The Keyboard

• 90 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It appears likely that Harmonix is adding keyboard support into the next iteration of Rock Band proper. This morning, downloaders of the Green Day: Rock Band demo--which is available over Xbox LIVE for the Gold crowd--received something of a tease after finishing the bite-sized, two-song offering. After hitting "exit," they were greeted with a big old Rock Band 3 banner that displays pictures of two guitars, a set of drums, microphones … and a keyboard right next to the "3" logo.

Five instruments, one game  
It leaves little to the imagination, but no official word from Harmonix has come out confirming the addition. We're working on that part of this story--you know, the journalism part where someone says, "Yeah, we're very excited to do this thing to this thing, and, like it's totally awesome"--but MTV has given a "stay tuned for E3"-type of response to VG247.  

I can barely play the drums in Rock Band when I'm sober, so I can't even imagine rocking out well with a keyboard. It's like asking me to go to the moon with a bottle rocket or something. But I'm sure someone here has mad keyboard skills and just a tad bit more room in their closet, right?
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It appears likely that Harmonix is adding keyboard support into the next iteration of Rock Band proper. This morning, downloaders of the Green Day: Rock Band demo--which is available over Xbox LIVE for the Gold crowd--received something of a tease after finishing the bite-sized, two-song offering. After hitting "exit," they were greeted with a big old Rock Band 3 banner that displays pictures of two guitars, a set of drums, microphones … and a keyboard right next to the "3" logo.

Five instruments, one game  
It leaves little to the imagination, but no official word from Harmonix has come out confirming the addition. We're working on that part of this story--you know, the journalism part where someone says, "Yeah, we're very excited to do this thing to this thing, and, like it's totally awesome"--but MTV has given a "stay tuned for E3"-type of response to VG247.  

I can barely play the drums in Rock Band when I'm sober, so I can't even imagine rocking out well with a keyboard. It's like asking me to go to the moon with a bottle rocket or something. But I'm sure someone here has mad keyboard skills and just a tad bit more room in their closet, right?
#2 Edited by fwylo (3556 posts) -

YES! I've been waiting for so long to let my fingers tickle some fake Ivory. 

I hope the keys have some good weight to them so it's somewhat realistic.

#3 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

I play actual piano, so I guess now it's my turn to be infuriated by the dumbing-down of my instrument (instead of all you guitar/bass players).

#4 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

you said the cowbell thing I don't like you anymore

#5 Posted by Derios (423 posts) -

More Peripherals!! When will it stop! 

#6 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

sounds cool. i likes me some more rock band.

#7 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

WRITTEN ARTICLES GALORE 

#8 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4584 posts) -

Oh. THAT kind of keyboard.

#9 Posted by semistardust (36 posts) -

I hope they put in some NIN from year zero, there's some sweet synth in that. Also, do you think this will just be "push the button on a square controller in time with music" because that does not sound like fun. That sounds like Boom Boom Rocket.

#10 Posted by newmarcom (295 posts) -
#11 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

Since GH has always basically been a form of playing a keyboard it's amazing they waited this long.  Keyboards were also the way this whole music game thing started, going way back to the computer stuff in the stone age.

#12 Posted by Mister_Snig (570 posts) -

waitwaitwait. 

Who the heck is Brad Nicholson?

#13 Posted by Chicken008 (330 posts) -

Get some NIN done right.

#14 Posted by sloppyjoe (405 posts) -

I'm fine sticking with buying DLC when I want more Rock Band

#15 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg said:
" Oh. THAT kind of keyboard. "
#16 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5251 posts) -

Sweet. Here's hoping to some Doors stuff.

#17 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

Well then, if that's the case, Rock Band 3 might just support me buying it.

#18 Posted by Blair (2501 posts) -
@MisterSnig said:
" waitwaitwait.  Who the heck is Brad Nicholson? "
#19 Edited by yani (413 posts) -

@Blair said:

" @MisterSnig said:

"
 I reckon its Brad's evil twin
#20 Posted by Scroll (593 posts) -

I can appreciate a bit of keyboard in my Rock band.

At least those Piano lessons are good for something.

#21 Posted by BRG9000 (144 posts) -

Notice 3 microphones in the voice icon too.

#22 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

Thing is, playing keyboard is basically just pushing buttons.....kinda like what I do on that controller I have.

#23 Posted by Milkman (16541 posts) -

I'm more excited about this than I should be.

#24 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@ChickenPants said:
" Thing is, playing keyboard is basically just pushing buttons.....kinda like what I do on that controller I have. "
Playing the (fake) guitar is basically just pushing buttons, but people seem to enjoy that.
#25 Posted by EasyPeasey (159 posts) -
@Blair said:
" @MisterSnig said:
"
GB has hired a couple (few?) freelancers to update the site during the busy season. As i understand it MattBodega is here to stay.  If you missed that news story then you'll probably like to know that the Bomb Squad Five is moving into a bigger basement.
#26 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

My plastic guitar s already a keyboard ;)

Great. Now hurry up and release it :)

#27 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

Why is that accordion icon sideways?

#28 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

Subdivisions by Rush. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

#29 Posted by Yzzerdd (521 posts) -

This genre should be renamed to "Give us your fucking money"

#30 Posted by ectoplasma (966 posts) -

And there I always thought the "needs more cowbell" joke was unique to the rap genre.

#31 Edited by paulunga (1936 posts) -

Nice. I'm hoping for an actual full-size keyboard interface (minus the expensive electronics of course), instead of something with just 5-10 buttons.

#32 Posted by Don (77 posts) -

Please say it ships with "Friends of P" by The Rentals.

#33 Posted by raiz265 (2234 posts) -

5 Button Piano! 

FUCK YEAH

#34 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Can't say I'm very excited to play the lamest instrument in a band.

#35 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" @ChickenPants said:
" Thing is, playing keyboard is basically just pushing buttons.....kinda like what I do on that controller I have. "
Playing the (fake) guitar is basically just pushing buttons, but people seem to enjoy that. "
Thing is the guitar has the strum trigger and whammy bar so it gives more of a feel of actually playing guitar rather than just hitting buttons.What I'm saying is out of all the instrutents introduced so far the keyboard resembles the simple act of using a controller more than any other.I'll be curious to see what they try to do to add a sense of realism to it.I think it should at the very least be pressure responsive.
#36 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

I still want a cowbell option.

#37 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Blair said:
" @MisterSnig said:
"
The new guy and no thank you Harmonix I have enough plastic peripherals.
#38 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

The only problem that I see is getting a full sized setlist that uses the traditional instruments as well as keyboard.

#39 Posted by JTMosh (257 posts) -

Werewolves of London, please.

#40 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

So does this mean I can expect Prog. Rock Band in the near future?

#41 Posted by FrenchFriedFool (164 posts) -

Fuck that, bring me the KEYTAR

#42 Posted by TheChaos (1158 posts) -
@Yzzerdd said:
" This genre should be renamed to "Give us your fucking money" "
#43 Posted by koolaid39 (238 posts) -

I can see it already. 

"It's the final countdown! Do do do. Do do do do. Do do do. Do do do do do do do, dododo do do do do do do doooooooo dooooo dodo dododooooooo!
#44 Edited by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I've wanted Keyboard in Rock Band since late 2008, thanks for hearing Harmonix even though it will cost 300 dollars.

#45 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

I'm hoping that by the time this comes out, I'll be excited to play a music game again.

#46 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -
@yani said:
"  
@Blair said:

" @MisterSnig said:

"
 I reckon its Brad's evil twin "
Does he have a mustache and a really high pitched voice?
#47 Posted by Sin4profit (2911 posts) -

i dunno, i think i'm prettymuch done with rhythm games. Hell, even my 14 yo cousin has evolved from playing Rockband2 to playing my mapex drum set...that's probably the right move at this point.

#48 Posted by Lumley (945 posts) -

Awesome, it'll no doubt be one octave and have a rather steep learning curve

#49 Posted by Kajaah117 (1070 posts) -

Two words: Jordan Rudess...

#50 Posted by Carnage1290 (114 posts) -

This seems really dumb to me.  Wouldn't playing a keyboard in a rhythm game be just like typing on a computer keyboard in time to music.  This just seems odd.  I'll be interested to see how they make this fun.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.