Viacom is Selling Harmonix

#1 Edited by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -
#2 Posted by Jumbs (232 posts) -

Hopefully harmonix is in a position where they can have a say in who buys them. ie; NOT activision. 

Without MTV, they'll have less terrible companies influencing them to put terrible music into the game, too.

#3 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

MTV doesn't even play music anymore.

HMX is the last bastion of music ANYTHING that MTV is involved with.

#4 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference who owns Harmonix. Music games are at a high point right now, and I think the only way from here is downwards. And I think that's why Viacom are selling them, and they want to sell Harmonix now, while they're worth a tonne of money, before they start losing value because of a decline in the market for music games.

#5 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -
@MattyFTM: Well, from the sound of it, Harmonix hasn't been super profitable for Viacom for a while now. The games themselves may be at a high point, but the sales aren't.
#6 Posted by MachoFantastico (4474 posts) -

Sad to hear that, especially if it ends up resulting in say Activision buying Harmonix (I feel sick just typing that). I do agree though that the music rhythm genre will soon be officially dead. Rock Band 3 was it's final amazing goodbye. 

#7 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -

If anything I imagine EA will pick them up, considering they already do the publishing through EA Partners. Or Harmonix buys themselves and goes full on indie. Back to their roots. 

#8 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

" I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference who owns Harmonix. Music games are at a high point right now, and I think the only way from here is downwards. And I think that's why Viacom are selling them, and they want to sell Harmonix now, while they're worth a tonne of money, before they start losing value because of a decline in the market for music games. "

Music games are dead. The high point is long gone. Viacom just want whatever profit they can get at this point. The latest Guitar Hero sold low and Rock Band 3 flat out bombed when its first week it only reached 26th on the chart and an abysmal 7,000 units sold in the UK. It sold less than 70,000 in the US.
#9 Posted by Brendan (7663 posts) -

That makes sense, considering that Harmonix have cost a healthy amount of dollars for the money they bring in.  Good luck to them.
#10 Posted by TurboMan (7339 posts) -

how stupid does this sound? 

Harmonix has peaked with Rock Band, but your not going to stick around with them any longer for whatever their next main series is? The creators of Guitar Hero and Rock Band? 

I'm sure HMX has some idea of what they're going to do next after all these years..

#11 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
" @MattyFTM said:

" I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference who owns Harmonix. Music games are at a high point right now, and I think the only way from here is downwards. And I think that's why Viacom are selling them, and they want to sell Harmonix now, while they're worth a tonne of money, before they start losing value because of a decline in the market for music games. "

Music games are dead. The high point is long gone. Viacom just want whatever profit they can get at this point. The latest Guitar Hero sold low and Rock Band 3 flat out bombed when its first week it only reached 26th on the chart and an abysmal 7,000 units sold in the UK. It sold less than 70,000 in the US. "

i would agree with this, get out now, leave on a financial high point. 

and MTV doesn't produce any music as far as i know so losing that connection wouldn't  trouble Harmonix in the slightest. 
actual music labes are where you need connections.
#12 Posted by bartok (2406 posts) -

This seems smart since it feels like the whole rhythm game genre has reached its peak and is on the way down.  Although I do feel sorry for the company that buys Harmonix because they will probable pay too much and eventually lose money on the whole thing.

#13 Posted by Romination (2774 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference who owns Harmonix. Music games are at a high point right now,"
I know it's been said but.... lolwut? 
Games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero are at an all time low. What the companies need to do if they're looking to turn a profit is find a new type of music to go for. While Dance Central may be the answer, it's also an unproven franchise for an expensive peripheral (though they've been hinging their games on peripherals for a while now). It's sad to see Harmonix getting sold off, I guess, but there's no way Activision would buy them. It would be like Apple buying Adobe. 

Anyone wanna bet Zenimax is going to come out for this one?
#14 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

From GameInformer: 

Given Viacom's sale of Harmonix so closely after the release of these games, it would appear that the timing on Viacom's part was planned all along. However, the sale also brings up questions about the state of Harmonix itself. Would Viacom cut the developer loose if it was doing well? Does Viacom believe that music games are on the decline and wants to get as much money for Harmonix while the getting's still good? Or maybe someone offered Viacom a deal so great it couldn't refuse.    

I hope not to see the franchise die.  And I certainly hope that whoever buys it will continue to support it, ie DLC.  Though I am kinda ticked that this may have been planned, considering RB3 has had a fairly crummy release, and I'm not just talking sales.  Bugs in the game, the "new" website that is a total downgrade from the old site.
#15 Posted by Killroycantkill (1377 posts) -

I think this was the wrong time to drop them. Rock Band 3 can basically be the finaly disk game for the RB series. Then they can just rake in the profits from DLC songs and stuff. It's like they thought they had the oppertunity to make TOO much money, then decided to drop them and let someone else have a swimming pool full of money and diamonds.
#16 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Ouch, hopefully the layoffs that'll undoubtly follow this won't hit HMX too hard.

But as rhythm gaming is on the decline in general, things have to be sized down to pre-boom state again I guess.

#17 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

Around 250,000 sales and it's dead? Music games have peaked? The only people that seem to keeping taking music games the right way is HMX. Without throwing major RB releases every year, they can keep this up along with other franchises. When you have GH and all the other crappy music games, it looks crowded.

#18 Posted by vogon (95 posts) -
@TurboMan said:
"how stupid does this sound?  Harmonix has peaked with Rock Band, but your not going to stick around with them any longer for whatever their next main series is? The creators of Guitar Hero and Rock Band?  I'm sure HMX has some idea of what they're going to do next after all these years.. "

this subgenre is dead: fake-rock-musician rhythm games have basically done everything they can do, except probably for some of the silly restrictions in RB 3 like All Instruments Mode being required to use multiple pro instruments or whatever, which can be patched out with time.

however, if Harmonix makes something in another subgenre of rhythm games -- the more abstract rhythm games like Frequency and Amplitude, or something completely new -- I'm sure everyone in this thread would be totally psyched for it.
#19 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Anyone else worried how the DLC message on the main menu hasn't been updated in like two weeks? :|

#20 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

Not particularly.  Their awesome deal thingy on the store hadn't changed in forever either, once it even started working.

#21 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

So EA are not buying Harmonix. And hey, ever wanted to know who the EA equivalent of Bobby Kotick is? EA CEO, John Riccitiello: " I’m sure some smart investor will buy the business feeling that they can catch a falling knife, but more people have been cut trying to catch falling knives than have benefited from getting the timing exactly right". Considering how EA are constantly in the shadow of Activision... how very Kotick of them. I'd be surprised if they didn't try to sue the publisher who picks them up and publishers a bunch of games with them. Ah well.

Source: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/11/ea-harmonix/  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.