Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band Blitz

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 29, 2012

Rock Band Blitz is an arcade-style rhythm game from Harmonix that is "fast, and loud, and silly, and a little over the top, and bright, and fun, and quick." It is capable of using every song from a player's Rock Band library.

Can you export RB2 to Blitz without RB3?

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 37

#1  Edited By beard_of_zeus

I don't own RB3, but was under the impression that since I owned RB1 and RB2, I would be able to use them in Blitz.

The RB1 export seems straightforward enough; pay $5 on the PSN for an export key, put the RB1 disk in, and go to Options -> Export Songs. RB2 does not seem to have an analogous menu option. So I started doing some research about how the RB2 export works. It seems it's different (and definitely more convoluted), in that you have to go to a menu option in Rock Band 3 (not 2!) to get the Rock Band 2 songs, but only after entering a code on the back of the RB2 form into the internet and getting a token back. It seems like it's not pulling the songs off the disk, like the RB1 export.

It's frustrating, since I thought I'd be able to play the RB2 songs in Blitz, but it seems you need to own RB3 as part of that export process, which is crazy. I guess at that point in time, the only thing it made sense to export the RB2 songs to, was RB3. But now that Blitz exists, it fucks that whole process up. Anyone have any information to the contrary?

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lavapotamus

Fairly certain you need RB3 for the RB2 export. Also, any tracks on the RB3 disc cannot be used in Blitz.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Surely... SURELY they would fix this if this were the case. Right?

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By beard_of_zeus

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Surely... SURELY they would fix this if this were the case. Right?

That's what I was thinking! Like I said, the current process probably made sense at the time, but Harmonix knew they were putting Blitz out, so you'd think they would concoct an alternate way to do the RB2 export for folks like me. Hopefully I'm not shit outta luck.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Some posts on the official RB forums seem to suggest that you can redeem the code included with RB2 directly with the Xbox or PSN "redeem code" option.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By beard_of_zeus

@Chaser324 said:

Some posts on the official RB forums seem to suggest that you can redeem the code included with RB2 directly with the Xbox or PSN "redeem code" option.

Well, the code that comes with RB2 is 16 characters, so it can't be directly punched in. But thinking along these lines, I went here (http://www.rockband.com/ps3-export/) and punched in the code, which got me a 12 digit code. According to the website, you're supposed to use the code in the RB3 menu, but I took your advice and punched it into the PSN. It seemed to have worked, and I got a screen that said something like "Rock Band 2 Export Key Unlock" and I clicked Next, but sadly the next screen was blank and nothing happened or downloaded. I tried re-entering the key, and it said it had been used already, even though I didn't get anything from it (although I guess it's my fault for using it improperly).

So I dunno, I'm out of ideas at this point. John Drake, help me pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@beard_of_zeus: Did you try looking at your purchase history to retry the download? I'm really not sure, but it sounds like you might be pretty close. I think all you need to do is just get that export key.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By YoThatLimp

Wow that is a fucking bummer. Was thinking about getting this as I had bought RB1 and RB2 previously.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By 234r2we232

All I can suggest is pester RB and Harmonix about it Twitter/RB Forums and maybe they'll do something about it. They're usually pretty good at solving problems like this if it is actually possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I bought this game under the assumption I'd be able to export RB2 into it. Turns out the joke is on me. Without getting into it, I'm totally pissed about this situation. 15 dollars to play my two albums of DLC.

RageKage14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RageKage14

I'm in the same boat. I only own Rock Band 2, and I just want the songs in Blitz. I don't want to have to buy Rock Band 3 just to get the Rock Band 2 songs in Blitz.

RageKage14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RageKage14

@beard_of_zeus said:

@Chaser324 said:

Well, the code that comes with RB2 is 16 characters, so it can't be directly punched in. But thinking along these lines, I went here (http://www.rockband.com/ps3-export/) and punched in the code, which got me a 12 digit code. According to the website, you're supposed to use the code in the RB3 menu, but I took your advice and punched it into the PSN. It seemed to have worked, and I got a screen that said something like "Rock Band 2 Export Key Unlock" and I clicked Next, but sadly the next screen was blank and nothing happened or downloaded. I tried re-entering the key, and it said it had been used already, even though I didn't get anything from it (although I guess it's my fault for using it improperly).

So I dunno, I'm out of ideas at this point. John Drake, help me pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

If you check your transaction history, you should see "Rock Band 2 Export Key" in the list. It probably just unlocked the ability to purchase the export key through Rock Band 3, the same as inputting the code in the Rock Band 3 menu.

EDIT: If you go under "Services List", it will show "Rock Band 2 Export Pack Unlock" under "Rock Band 3". So, inputting the code in PSN just unlocked it for purchase in Rock Band 3. Why didn't they just allow the code to make it purchasable in Blitz?

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By beard_of_zeus

@RageKage14 said:

@beard_of_zeus said:

@Chaser324 said:

If you check your transaction history, you should see "Rock Band 2 Export Key" in the list. It probably just unlocked the ability to purchase the export key through Rock Band 3, the same as inputting the code in the Rock Band 3 menu.

EDIT: If you go under "Services List", it will show "Rock Band 2 Export Pack Unlock" under "Rock Band 3". So, inputting the code in PSN just unlocked it for purchase in Rock Band 3. Why didn't they just allow the code to make it purchasable in Blitz?

Ah, that explains it. Yeah, I couldn't find it in my purchase history, but it is in the services list, like you said. Never would have thought to look there. So, it still seems like there's no workaround besides getting a copy of RB3. That sucks :(

Japperwokki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Japperwokki

That is really bullshit move from Harmonix. I also bought Rock Band 2 for this purpose. Why is it advertised that you can play all your songs from your rock band collection, when this is not the case. The game is great, but this shit really makes me mad.

thewizkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thewizkid

Just go rent a copy of rockband 3, or buy it for 19.99 or less you cheap punks. rockband 3 is an amazing game and should be owned by all rockband fans regardless

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Snail

@thewizkid said:

Just go rent a copy of rockband 3, or buy it for 19.99 or less you cheap punks. rockband 3 is an amazing game and should be owned by all rockband fans regardless

You realize how old this thread is right? You're basically yelling at a wall.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.