Harmonix, Donuts, and My Descent Into Madness... PART ONE

Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

I don't know when it began.

It had to have been sometime in early 2011 when I discovered Matt "Chainsaw" Chaney's catchy, pastry-inspired ditty from 'Splosion Man was available on the Rock Band network. "Donuts, Go Nuts" had found some novelty popularity in my house, particularly by my children, for its repetitious ukulele riffs and references to a wide variety of donut-like goodies. For several days early that year, we all walked around the house singing, whistling, humming the tune. I'm sure I played it a couple of times in Rock Band 2 or something. And then at some point I forgot about it...

Enter Rock Band: Blitz.

Harmonix's latest offering is a low-key take on the burnt out plastic instrument genre, but with a heavy dose of leaderboards and quite public mockery of friends (also known as "pathetic losers" who have "no chance in hell" of beating "my epic high score"). Fully couch-playable with just a simple gamepad controller, Blitz imports your old Rock Band tracks into a new--but old-school--rhythm game format. There is also an optimization component, with players choosing from a variety of power ups to increase their scores in different ways.

But it didn't really catch on for me initially. Sure, I enjoyed getting some use out of the few Rock Band tracks I had downloaded in years past. It was nice to take a break from Skyrim and a couple of shooters I had been playing for months now. And the graphic design was nice. But I didn't really get hooked.

Then I saw "Donuts, Go Nuts."

"Cool," I thought. "Let's see how this one plays."

I did okay, initially. I think my first score was somewhere around 80,000, which probably put me in the top 100 on the leaderboards. No biggie.

"That seemed like a pretty simple song," I thought. "I bet I could do better."

Sure enough, the next time around, I placed at #15. FIFTEEN. In the WORLD. I've never been that highly ranked at anything. Ever. Forget how many people have actually attempted the song. Forget how easy or straightforward the melody may be. Forget that there is not even a piano part. Toss all of that crap out the window because goddammit I WAS FIFTEENTH ON A LEADERBOARD FOR A VIDEO GAME.

*blink, blink*

"I could totally get to Number One."

-----------------------------------------------------

That was three days ago. I am currently ranked sixth in the world at "Donuts, Go Nuts" on Rock Band: Blitz.

I have probably logged a good six or seven hours just playing that one song.

When I turn on the XBox, my family leaves the room.

My three-year-old can now recite the lyrics from beginning to end. (Yes, even the part about croquembouches. I don't even know what those are.)

It's Friday. And all I can think about is playing more Rock Band: Blitz, singing along with Chainsaw into the wee hours of the morning, crushing my controller when I fail to break the high score...

...and maybe, just maybe, reaching that Number One spot.

#1 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

I don't know when it began.

It had to have been sometime in early 2011 when I discovered Matt "Chainsaw" Chaney's catchy, pastry-inspired ditty from 'Splosion Man was available on the Rock Band network. "Donuts, Go Nuts" had found some novelty popularity in my house, particularly by my children, for its repetitious ukulele riffs and references to a wide variety of donut-like goodies. For several days early that year, we all walked around the house singing, whistling, humming the tune. I'm sure I played it a couple of times in Rock Band 2 or something. And then at some point I forgot about it...

Enter Rock Band: Blitz.

Harmonix's latest offering is a low-key take on the burnt out plastic instrument genre, but with a heavy dose of leaderboards and quite public mockery of friends (also known as "pathetic losers" who have "no chance in hell" of beating "my epic high score"). Fully couch-playable with just a simple gamepad controller, Blitz imports your old Rock Band tracks into a new--but old-school--rhythm game format. There is also an optimization component, with players choosing from a variety of power ups to increase their scores in different ways.

But it didn't really catch on for me initially. Sure, I enjoyed getting some use out of the few Rock Band tracks I had downloaded in years past. It was nice to take a break from Skyrim and a couple of shooters I had been playing for months now. And the graphic design was nice. But I didn't really get hooked.

Then I saw "Donuts, Go Nuts."

"Cool," I thought. "Let's see how this one plays."

I did okay, initially. I think my first score was somewhere around 80,000, which probably put me in the top 100 on the leaderboards. No biggie.

"That seemed like a pretty simple song," I thought. "I bet I could do better."

Sure enough, the next time around, I placed at #15. FIFTEEN. In the WORLD. I've never been that highly ranked at anything. Ever. Forget how many people have actually attempted the song. Forget how easy or straightforward the melody may be. Forget that there is not even a piano part. Toss all of that crap out the window because goddammit I WAS FIFTEENTH ON A LEADERBOARD FOR A VIDEO GAME.

*blink, blink*

"I could totally get to Number One."

-----------------------------------------------------

That was three days ago. I am currently ranked sixth in the world at "Donuts, Go Nuts" on Rock Band: Blitz.

I have probably logged a good six or seven hours just playing that one song.

When I turn on the XBox, my family leaves the room.

My three-year-old can now recite the lyrics from beginning to end. (Yes, even the part about croquembouches. I don't even know what those are.)

It's Friday. And all I can think about is playing more Rock Band: Blitz, singing along with Chainsaw into the wee hours of the morning, crushing my controller when I fail to break the high score...

...and maybe, just maybe, reaching that Number One spot.

#2 Edited by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

Amazing story! I got into a rut of doing this with... Maneater on Dance Central. I didn't get as high as 15 but I got pretty high at one point. For me, that was awesome and I'd play it over and over inching my score up each time. I've dropped well off now. The sign of a great score chasing game! Only bought Rock Band Blitz last night, but can totally see me getting hooked on one song. Just got to find that song...

What's your gamertag? I'll add you and maybe have a little go at Donuts....

#3 Posted by TheBookNerd (64 posts) -

bibamatt: Gamertag is The Book Nerd.

#4 Posted by CollegeGuyMike (388 posts) -

I got this way with Found Me The Bomb earlier. Not to the extent of doing it for hours, but I put a good good chunk of time into it and I got myself to number 3, under CorporalGregg. I will get to the top of that chart! Grrrr. The first time I played Raise your Glass, my score was right under Ryan Davis' score on it, and I thought that was pretty awesome because I recognized the gamertag.

I was number 1 on Jessie's Girl for almost a day though! Which was pretty amazing, tbh. My only #1 score now is Ring of Fire :(.

This game is really addictive. I never even got like this with scores in the main games, either. It's amazing and all I wish was that I had a RB2 export code so I could get those songs in here, I'd love to get competitive on some of the ones locked up in there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.