Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band Unplugged

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 09, 2009

Rock Band Unplugged is a portable version of Harmonix's famous music games, Amplitude and Frequency, with a Rock Band theme and visual design. It was developed by both Backbone Entertainment and Harmonix.

Plugging Into Rock Band Unplugged

• 50 results
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    This should look familiar enough.
    While most people who recognize the name Harmonix probably do so because of the Cambridge-based developer's work on the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises, it had been toiling away in semi-obscurity for years before it struck gold with plastic guitars. Guitar Hero didn't just pop out fully formed, and the gameplay was very directly influenced by Frequency and Amplitude, the music games that Harmonix produced pre-Guitar Hero. Harmonix came through the Giant Bomb offices last week to give us a look at Rock Band Unplugged for the PSP, and it seems as though everything is coming full circle. This is a game that has most of the trappings of the Rock Band franchise, though since it's for the PSP, you get none of those instrument controllers, necessitating a style of gameplay that brings it all back to the games that Harmonix started with.

If you've already got the Frequency/Amplitude point of reference, you have a good idea of how the gameplay in Rock Band Unplugged handles. If not, imagine you're playing Rock Band, except that there are four notes instead of five, and rather than picking a single instrument, you're free to switch between all four on the fly. Like the Rock Band that you know, there will be overdrive, there will be solos, and the goal is still to try to hit as many of the notes as possible, though when you successfully hit all of the notes in a phrase, that instrument will clear out for a while, allowing you to switch your focus to another instrument. Part of the trick here is that, if notes are passing on any of the tracks you're not currently on, they'll count against your overall band meter. If that sounds too intense, the game will also offer a warm-up mode, which won't penalize you for anything other than notes missed on your current instrument. If it doesn't sound intense enough, then there's the band survival mode, which never clears out any of the tracks for you. 

Hey Dublin! Are you ready to ROCK!?!
    The standard control scheme scatters the note triggers across the d-pad and the face buttons, with the shoulder buttons being used to switch instruments, though Harmonix says that the control layouts will be entirely customizable. Sure, you'll be using the standard PSP controls, which doesn't provide the same faux-raux sensation as a guitar controller, but the way you have to juggle all four parts of the song, and the way the actual music builds as you put the pieces together, seem like plenty consolation. Beyond the modified gameplay, Unplugged looks set to offer much of you expect from a Rock Band game, in miniature. You'll assemble a full band whom you can name and dress up, and you'll take them out on the road in the world tour mode, which will span 24 cities and venues. As for the music that will come with Rock Band Unplugged, it's looking like a healthy mix of songs that have appeared in past Rock Band games, as well as material that will be exclusive for a limited time to Unplugged. Harmonix hasn't yet released a full track list, but here's a taste of what you can expect.

AFI - "Miss Murder"
    Audioslave - "Gasoline"
    Black Tide - "Show Me the Way"
    Freezepop - "Less Talk More Rokk"
    The Killers - "Mr. Brightside"
    Queens of the Stone Age - "3's and 7's"
    System of a Down - "Chop Suey!"
    Tenacious D - "Rock Your Socks"
    3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
    Alice in Chains - "Would?"
    Blink 182 - "What's My Age Again"
    Judas Priest - "Painkiller"
    Nine Inch Nails - "The Perfect Drug"
    Nirvana - "Drain You"
    Weezer - "Buddy Holly"
    Bon Jovi - "Livin' on a Prayer"
    The Police - "Message in a Bottle"
    Jackson 5 - "ABC"
    Kansas - "Carry on Wayward Son”
    The Who - "Pinball Wizard"

In addition to the 41 songs that will come on the UMD, Rock Band Unplugged will have a fully integrated online music store for you to buy and download new songs. Though Harmonix isn't yet committing to a schedule for how often new songs will hit the Unplugged store, you can expect to see 10 songs available for download the week the game comes out. 

It's worth stressing that Rock Band Unplugged really seems to do an ace job of capturing the look and feel of the series, and it looks quite crisp on the PSP screen. I think the changes that Harmonix has made to the gameplay for Rock Band Unplugged makes a whole lot more sense than fabricating some weird peripheral to try and turn the PSP into a tiny instrument. To quote Harmonix's own Alex Navarro "I don't think tiny instruments are cool. Unless we're talking about a ukelele." Frankly, my only misgiving about Rock Band Unplugged is that it's currently only slated for release on the PSP, because I think it could play on a big TV just fine. While Frequency and Amplitude might not have caught on in their time, it seems like music games have finally reached a point where people don't need plastic instruments to know how to rock.

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    While most people who recognize the name Harmonix probably do so because of the Cambridge-based developer's work on the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises, it had been toiling away in semi-obscurity for years before it struck gold with plastic guitars. Guitar Hero didn't just pop out fully formed, and the gameplay was very directly influenced by Frequency and Amplitude, the music games that Harmonix produced pre-Guitar Hero. Harmonix came through the Giant Bomb offices last week to give us a look at Rock Band Unplugged for the PSP, and it seems as though everything is coming full circle. This is a game that has most of the trappings of the Rock Band franchise, though since it's for the PSP, you get none of those instrument controllers, necessitating a style of gameplay that brings it all back to the games that Harmonix started with.

If you've already got the Frequency/Amplitude point of reference, you have a good idea of how the gameplay in Rock Band Unplugged handles. If not, imagine you're playing Rock Band, except that there are four notes instead of five, and rather than picking a single instrument, you're free to switch between all four on the fly. Like the Rock Band that you know, there will be overdrive, there will be solos, and the goal is still to try to hit as many of the notes as possible, though when you successfully hit all of the notes in a phrase, that instrument will clear out for a while, allowing you to switch your focus to another instrument. Part of the trick here is that, if notes are passing on any of the tracks you're not currently on, they'll count against your overall band meter. If that sounds too intense, the game will also offer a warm-up mode, which won't penalize you for anything other than notes missed on your current instrument. If it doesn't sound intense enough, then there's the band survival mode, which never clears out any of the tracks for you. 

The standard control scheme scatters the note triggers across the d-pad and the face buttons, with the shoulder buttons being used to switch instruments, though Harmonix says that the control layouts will be entirely customizable. Sure, you'll be using the standard PSP controls, which doesn't provide the same faux-raux sensation as a guitar controller, but the way you have to juggle all four parts of the song, and the way the actual music builds as you put the pieces together, seem like plenty consolation. Beyond the modified gameplay, Unplugged looks set to offer much of you expect from a Rock Band game, in miniature. You'll assemble a full band whom you can name and dress up, and you'll take them out on the road in the world tour mode, which will span 24 cities and venues. As for the music that will come with Rock Band Unplugged, it's looking like a healthy mix of songs that have appeared in past Rock Band games, as well as material that will be exclusive for a limited time to Unplugged. Harmonix hasn't yet released a full track list, but here's a taste of what you can expect.

AFI - "Miss Murder"
    Audioslave - "Gasoline"
    Black Tide - "Show Me the Way"
    Freezepop - "Less Talk More Rokk"
    The Killers - "Mr. Brightside"
    Queens of the Stone Age - "3's and 7's"
    System of a Down - "Chop Suey!"
    Tenacious D - "Rock Your Socks"
    3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
    Alice in Chains - "Would?"
    Blink 182 - "What's My Age Again"
    Judas Priest - "Painkiller"
    Nine Inch Nails - "The Perfect Drug"
    Nirvana - "Drain You"
    Weezer - "Buddy Holly"
    Bon Jovi - "Livin' on a Prayer"
    The Police - "Message in a Bottle"
    Jackson 5 - "ABC"
    Kansas - "Carry on Wayward Son”
    The Who - "Pinball Wizard"

In addition to the 41 songs that will come on the UMD, Rock Band Unplugged will have a fully integrated online music store for you to buy and download new songs. Though Harmonix isn't yet committing to a schedule for how often new songs will hit the Unplugged store, you can expect to see 10 songs available for download the week the game comes out. 

It's worth stressing that Rock Band Unplugged really seems to do an ace job of capturing the look and feel of the series, and it looks quite crisp on the PSP screen. I think the changes that Harmonix has made to the gameplay for Rock Band Unplugged makes a whole lot more sense than fabricating some weird peripheral to try and turn the PSP into a tiny instrument. To quote Harmonix's own Alex Navarro "I don't think tiny instruments are cool. Unless we're talking about a ukelele." Frankly, my only misgiving about Rock Band Unplugged is that it's currently only slated for release on the PSP, because I think it could play on a big TV just fine. While Frequency and Amplitude might not have caught on in their time, it seems like music games have finally reached a point where people don't need plastic instruments to know how to rock.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

As long as it works out better then guitar hero for the DS im all for it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24

I didn't have any interest in this until you reminded me Alex Navarro is working on this. Sold.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Mysterysheep

Interesting.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mattbodega

I really loved Frequency and Amplitude back in the day, I'll be interested in seeing if the game holds up!

redskineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By redskineer

looks good, I know what I'm gettin'

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By PLWolf

I'm hyped for this as I love the Frequency/Amplitude games. Also, if you want to play this on the TV, Ryan, hook up the PSP2000 or 3000 to your TV. ;-)

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hairydutchman

Playing GH or Rock Band with your controller is super lame so I'm still sceptical.

kboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By kboy

Fact: Women love ukulele players.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By skrutop

It'd be cool if it came out as an XBLA game, though it might be a bit too hefty.

totriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By totriz

finally a reason to recharge my psp battery.
    I won't be buying any DLC though. I'll keep spending money on the DLC for RB2 on the xbox

TheClap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheClap

More QoTSA

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Aaron_G

Do I want this?

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By roofy

"I didn't have any interest in this until you reminded me Alex Navarro is working on this. Sold."

Since when does being a community manager qualify you as working on a game?

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By JonathanMoore

Meh, doesn't seem like something I need to stress about purchasing.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By MetalGearSunny

What does that (*) after ABC mean?

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Media_Master

seems better fit playing rb2 at the house than portalizing it

Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sharpshooter

Yeah Dublin appears in a videogame for once. Up yours London, You may have gotten the Olymipcs but we got a place in a PSP Rock Band game. And in the end thats more important

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By sarahsdad

sweet sweet sweet

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Kyle

"What does that (*) after ABC mean?"

There isn't one.....

Arne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arne

I cant imagine this would sell very much on one of the big consoles, it sure would work, but who the fuck would wanna play with a controller if u got a "real" guitar? Ff u really wanna play on a big TV... connect the psp :)

Bardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bardon

Hmm..I like the track list & the concept. I'll probably pick this up.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Jackel2072

i think il pass

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By dethfish

I would certainly buy this...if I had a psp. A game in the style of Amplitude has to be good. Is this game gonna be bundled with the PSP? If so how much would it cost?

Also, that seems like a bad thing for Alex Navarro to say considering what company he works for.

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MacGyver

I just saw alex on G4, thats pretty cool.

MikPick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikPick

"Freezepop - "Less Talk More Rokk""

OHHHHH MYYYY GODDDD.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By Hector

No PSP, No Rock Band for me! :(

Slick5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Slick5

I might get this.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#30  Edited By jeff
    roofy said:
    ""I didn't have any interest in this until you reminded me Alex Navarro is working on this. Sold."Since when does being a community manager qualify you as working on a game?"

Technically he's in public relations now, which is... yeah, probably still not quite in the realm of "working on a game." Probably a bit higher in the credits, though!
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Phished0ne

WOOO concider me a buyer, i might even get it the day it comes out if the complete playlist seems good, and the "limited time" content is any good.  I do miss the future-techno graphical  asthetic of FreQuency/Amplitude, but it only meshed well with the mostly techno music of those games.  Can i have a new proper  freQuency/amplitude game now?

SithToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SithToast

Interesting way of controlling things.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShadowKiller

I thought this would be a complete failure but it's looking alright. I'll probably pick this up after all.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By Keeng

I've been on board with Harmonix games since Frequency. I can't, in good conscience, pass this up.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DukeTogo

That doesn't look fun at all.  It looks like an exercise in ADD.

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By InFamous91

it doesn't look fun.... you don't get the guitar playing feel

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By darkspirit138

I am not liking the look of this game. No music game can be good without a ROCK OUT GUITAR. Although the songs seem great. CHOP SUEY FOREVER!

btw, why is that song called chop suey?

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mthe1337one

might be fun.  the instrument/vocal switching looks pretty hectic in survival mode heh.

that said, i don't know why GB never did any coverage of DJ Max Fever.  sure it had bugs, but overall it was a decent release considering it was previously a pipedream for the game to be released in the states at all.

only thing i can think of is that RB is more mainstream.

Gr8Gam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gr8Gam3r

looks okay

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AURON570

looks clumsy

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ZeroCast

This kinda reminds me of GS's last year April Fools joke, that was a very funny page.

MolluskLingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MolluskLingers

They can't use the Frequency engine (which this game uses) on anything other than a Sony system, so if anything this might also come to PSN exclusively, or hopefully we'll get a Frequency 3, although I hihgly doubt that as Harmonix does not care about their fans anymore.  This is highly noticable in that they are not even developing this, shitty Backbone is. Also unlike Freq and Amp the tracks aren't muted in the bg when not playing. wtf is that shit?

http://www.freqfans.com

Heroclix0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Heroclix0rz

does anyone else remember the Gamespot april fools from last year -_-

ExtremeJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By ExtremeJesus

"Freezepop - "Less Talk More Rokk""

SOLD

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Thunder

this game looks stupid

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47  Edited By damnboyadvance

Whoa! You have a lot of fans!

And what's up with the mic controls? You're just pressing buttons to play. That's whack.

Raidou10k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Raidou10k

Looks like a real pain to play.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TehPickle

Looks really hard!

But on the other hand:
    Freezepop = Win

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By TheHT

holy shit that looks hard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.