Rock Band Unplugged Officially Official This June

Posted by Jeff (3479 posts) -
Harmonix took the time today to officially announce Rock Band Unplugged, the PSP version of its popular music game franchise. Rather than having you bolt on weird peripherals, this version of Rock Band will be played using the standard PSP controls. Or, as the press release puts it, YOUR HANDS ARE THE PERIPHERALS.

Official details on the gameplay remain a bit scarce, but it's been said to play a lot like Frequency and Amplitude, the awesome music franchise that Harmonix developed for Sony before the world went mad for plastic guitars. Really, this trailer pretty much tells the tale:

There is a bit more detail on the song list, as well. While the game will feature over 40 songs, most of those songs will be material that has appeared in Rock Band on other platforms. Nine songs will be exclusive to the PSP, though these songs will eventually come to the Rock Band store on other platforms:

• 3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
  • AFI - "Miss Murder"
  • Alice in Chains - "Would?"
  • Audioslave - "Gasoline"
  • Black Tide - "Show Me the Way"
  • Blink 182 - "What's My Age Again"
  • Freezepop - "Less Talk More Rokk"
  • Jackson 5 - "ABC"
  • Tenacious D - "Rock Your Socks"

Hey, great. 3 Doors Down. I love those guys. No, really. It's like my favorite parts of Creed and Nickelback fused into one thing.

The game will launch on June 9 as a standalone product and will feature a downloadable content store much like the other versions of Rock Band. Sony will also be releasing a bundle that gives you a PSP, a download voucher for the movie School of Rock, a 4GB Memory Stick, and a copy of Rock Band Unplugged. That pack will run $199.99.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3479 posts) -
Harmonix took the time today to officially announce Rock Band Unplugged, the PSP version of its popular music game franchise. Rather than having you bolt on weird peripherals, this version of Rock Band will be played using the standard PSP controls. Or, as the press release puts it, YOUR HANDS ARE THE PERIPHERALS.

Official details on the gameplay remain a bit scarce, but it's been said to play a lot like Frequency and Amplitude, the awesome music franchise that Harmonix developed for Sony before the world went mad for plastic guitars. Really, this trailer pretty much tells the tale:

There is a bit more detail on the song list, as well. While the game will feature over 40 songs, most of those songs will be material that has appeared in Rock Band on other platforms. Nine songs will be exclusive to the PSP, though these songs will eventually come to the Rock Band store on other platforms:

• 3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
  • AFI - "Miss Murder"
  • Alice in Chains - "Would?"
  • Audioslave - "Gasoline"
  • Black Tide - "Show Me the Way"
  • Blink 182 - "What's My Age Again"
  • Freezepop - "Less Talk More Rokk"
  • Jackson 5 - "ABC"
  • Tenacious D - "Rock Your Socks"

Hey, great. 3 Doors Down. I love those guys. No, really. It's like my favorite parts of Creed and Nickelback fused into one thing.

The game will launch on June 9 as a standalone product and will feature a downloadable content store much like the other versions of Rock Band. Sony will also be releasing a bundle that gives you a PSP, a download voucher for the movie School of Rock, a 4GB Memory Stick, and a copy of Rock Band Unplugged. That pack will run $199.99.
Staff
#2 Posted by Paradigmer (258 posts) -

On the PSP? This still seems really weird to me. 

#3 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

So it's Rock Band...without peripherals. Wonder how that will work.

#4 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

awesome...too bad i don't have a PSP

#5 Posted by Artimisticus (49 posts) -

Only on the PSP? That's a shame. I could really go for another Frequency type game, but I don't care to own a PSP

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14366 posts) -

Officially Official? Isn't that something people say when they're pretending to be official, but actually aren't? *Cough*MattBodega*Cough*?

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by Buccura (213 posts) -

Jackson 5 is sure an interesting choice to use in the trailer for a Rock Band game.

#8 Posted by Slunks (329 posts) -

I understand that they're trying to reach a large audience, but I can't help to feel as if Harmonix is slowly selling out. There's no satisfaction of hitting notes (or how you hit them) as there is when playing a console version -- I'm assuming there's also no sense of band cooperation. So who is this game for? Really, just comes off as an interactive music player to me. There's no hook other than portability.

C'mon Harmonix, you're better than this.

#9 Posted by FlipperDesert (2082 posts) -

Only song I even half-like on that list is Gasoline. =/

Still, wouldn't mind that PSP deal when this comes out.

#10 Posted by Berkie (132 posts) -

I think it's cool! It looks like this may be a good year for the PSP.

#11 Posted by lordofultima (6231 posts) -

Amplitude was sick, they need to drop this Rock Band crap and just make a new one of those.

#12 Posted by RJPelonia (855 posts) -

Looks like it'll play similarly to DJ Max Portable. We'll see how this all turns out closer to its release.

#13 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

Epic win. Jackson 5 and Tenacious D? Waiting til' this comes to RB2.

Edit- Oh yeah, Would. Amazing song.

#14 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Well, "Would?" is great but since it is coming as DLC soon, I'll just wait for it there. It looks pretty and stylish, but, seriously, I wanna play Rock Band with the real controllers. That's the whole experience!

#15 Posted by Scorched (691 posts) -

remember the last plastic guitar game on a portable gaming device . . .

#16 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

Jackson 5, nice stuff, that'll totally get the ladies dancing a bit more at the rock band partys.

#17 Edited by Doogie2K (216 posts) -
remember the last plastic guitar game on a portable gaming device . . .

Except this is really nothing like that.  There's no peripheral meaning that, as Jeff pointed out in the story, it's basically Frequency or Amplitude with a Rock Band skin.  And that's perfectly okay with me.
#18 Posted by PLWolf (922 posts) -

Looks Awesome and I can't wait to play it.

#19 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

Hey screw you Jeff, Kryptonite is great, okay? Well the fact that I really liked that song during an impressionable time of my life probably helped, but I'd still love that song in proper Rock Band, so here's hoping.

#20 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Hell. Yes.

#21 Posted by Ziaxool (69 posts) -

So, Guitar Hero have Metallica and Rock Band's got... Pop music on the PSP. Awesome.

#22 Posted by WreckinRodRumbler (121 posts) -

Oh boy, this looks really neat. Can't go wrong when you combine Rock Band and Amplitude!

#23 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

Jeff is in a band (Midnight Brown) with Chris Henderson from 3 Doors Down.

#24 Posted by Kowalski (262 posts) -

Freezepop - "Less Talk More Rokk" - pwned GH2!

#25 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

$200 no way

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.