Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band

Franchise »

The Rock Band franchise introduced the first rhythm game to incorporate drums and vocals in addition to guitar and bass instruments, creating a virtual band. It was also the first franchise to include genre staples such as Band World Tour, and character customization.

Do you think they should sell censored and uncensored copies?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Do you think that they should sell Rock Band games like they do CDs, with censored and uncensored versions?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

I believe so, there are a few songs that have swearing (or even non swearing, the word 'god' for example :/) replaced with silence, and it narks the hell out of me 

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Endogene

Are cd versions not always uncensored versions?

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Lashe

It should be tied to the parental controls of the console

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Endogene said:
    "Are cd versions not always uncensored versions? "
    nah you get radio edits and whatnot, usually on the single releases
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Lashe said:
    "It should be tied to the parental controls of the console"
    Ah, good idea. Actually have some use for that for once.

OmegaPirate said:
    "I believe so, there are a few songs that have swearing (or even non swearing, the word 'god' for example :/) replaced with silence, and it narks the hell out of me "
    Same here. Also, with the current state of things, we'll never see Guerilla Radio in an unbutchered form.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    Lashe said:
    This. It should be an option for parents, but i doubt that it would be something that would affect most peoples purchasing decisions. 
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

Oooh, so censoring language is perfectly understandable and debatable, but censoring violence is laughably ridiculous, hur? Interesting.

That reminds me of that one kid whose parents allowed him to play MadWorld under the condition that he turns the commentary off.

My brain hurts.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lashe said:
    Yes I think this would be the best solution, 
    Anyway the censoring doesn't bother me that much, I would buy an uncensored version if there was one available but I don't think the censoring is important enough that it affects people's descion to buy it.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Meowayne said:
    "Oooh, so censoring language is perfectly understandable and debatable, but censoring violence is laughably ridiculous, hur? 
    No, censoring language is even more ridiculous.

We just live in a mad, mad, mad, mad world.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

I think they should have it as some kind of free DLC or whatever. You put in a code and if your Xbox account is above the age of 18, you get the uncensored versions. The worst thing about the censoring though is that it censors to American sensibilities world wide so, for me at least, it brought some confusion when This Ain't a Scene... by Fall Out Boy had gaps in it and after playing it about 5 times, we realised it cut out 'damn', something which is really not offensive in the UK.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OmegaPirate
    HandsomeDead said:
    "I think they should have it as some kind of free DLC or whatever. You put in a code and if your Xbox account is above the age of 18, you get the uncensored versions. The worst thing about the censoring though is that it censors to American sensibilities world wide so, for me at least, it brought some confusion when This Ain't a Scene... by Fall Out Boy had gaps in it and after playing it about 5 times, we realised it cut out 'damn', something which is really not offensive in the UK."
    Yeah thats what i was referring too as well, although over here in england when that song was on the radio they blurred out god and damn
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

I'll put it this way:  Coheed and Cambria's "Welcome Home" was forever ruined on that game.

Also, I've always been annoyed with the radio edit version of "Man in the Box" replaced "shit" with "spit".  I mean, it still fits in the song kind of.  Not really on the "buried in my spit", but "shove my nose in spit" kind of works.

Regardless, they want to appeal to as many people as possible, and it's easier in the long run to edit the few songs that require it than it is to just release two versions of the game...or even tie the censorship to the parental control on your console (which if you remember the PS2's "0000" scenario well, parental control is almost a complete joke on consoles).
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By dsplayer1010
    Lashe said:
    That's a good idea.
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    fuck censorship.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "I'll put it this way:  Coheed and Cambria's "Welcome Home" was forever ruined on that game.

Also, I've always been annoyed with the radio edit version of "Man in the Box" replaced "shit" with "spit".  I mean, it still fits in the song kind of.  Not really on the "buried in my spit", but "shove my nose in spit" kind of works.

Regardless, they want to appeal to as many people as possible, and it's easier in the long run to edit the few songs that require it than it is to just release two versions of the game...or even tie the censorship to the parental control on your console (which if you remember the PS2's "0000" scenario well, parental control is almost a complete joke on consoles).
    "
    I think the fact that Welcome Home is Welcome Home is what ruined Welcome Home.

The Man in the Box one bugged me, too, but what I'm really getting at more than just the songs on the disc is that less editing could blow open the door for downloadable content. The entire Rage Against The Machine catalog, Alice In Chains catalog, Tool catalog, etc . . . it could be viable.

Playing Aenima on Rock Band would be epic, but it will never happen with the censoring.

EDIT: Also, doesn't it go "buried in my pit"?
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iamjohn

The should but they can't.  ESRB has already ruled that if M-rated DLC is put out for a game that has a lower rating the original game's rating needs to be changed.  And good luck selling a M-rated music game.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OmegaPirate
    iAmJohn said:
    "The should but they can't.  ESRB has already ruled that if M-rated DLC is put out for a game that has a lower rating the original game's rating needs to be changed.  And good luck selling a M-rated music game."
    Alas this is the sad truth :(
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By weltal
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "fuck censorship."
    +1

I think they should only sell uncensored songs.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    iAmJohn said:
    "The should but they can't.  ESRB has already ruled that if M-rated DLC is put out for a game that has a lower rating the original game's rating needs to be changed.  And good luck selling a M-rated music game."
    That would be where the different editions come in. Couldn't you rate a censored game T and an uncensored M?
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iamjohn
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "iAmJohn said:
    That would be where the different editions come in. Couldn't you rate a censored game T and an uncensored M?
    "
    You say that as if it's cheap.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "iAmJohn said:
    "
    Or maybe strike a similar deal as to how online interactions are under control or rated by the ESRB?

If you choose to download these its outside the jurisdiction of what the original game was rated as?
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    iAmJohn said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "iAmJohn said:
    "
    You say that as if it's cheap.
    "
    Why wouldn't it be? It would take less than 5 bucks more in development. You could push out the same amount of games as you would if they were only 1 edition, but just divide it up. I don't know where you'd have to spend more money.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "fuck censorship."
    I'm not necessarily one that believes censorship is a BAD thing.  I simply feel that it's a broken thing.  We can say that "no, you can't play that violent video game", but then we show news footage of war in our school systems?  There's something hypocritical about that to me.  I remember being in school and actually starting a petition to disallow history teachers from showing Schindler's List in my school.  Why?  Because that is no place for it.  Graphic nudity is something that is frowned upon in our schools, and yet it's okay to show it when it's starving and dying Jews?  Fuck that.  Hold to your principles or get rid of them.  That's what I say.

Nonetheless, I'm not the kind of person that's going to go show my 7-year-old a movie like Dead/Alive or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.  Granted, my parents never censored me growing up (and if they ever did, it didn't last long).  I believe that kids just need to be taught the difference between right and wrong, fantasy and reality.  Unfortunately, many parents are not suited for that today because they fail to differentiate between the two themselves.

All I'm saying is that some parents need to realize that there are things that can be detrimental to the development of their child into a worthwhile citizen and human being.  At the same time, a counter-argument can be given about children who were growing up in the middle of the wartime of World War II and whether they grew up to be worthwhile citiziens and humans, so it's very much a double-sided blade.

On the subject of language, I don't try to cuss around kids because it's just flat-out improper.  Again, my parents cussed in front of me, but they also made sure that I understood that it was all slang and not proper speech for polite society.  I understand that, and it's very much a switch that I can flip on and off.  I still feel that same way.  Cussing is improper language, but when you aren't in "proper society", then it's not that big of a damn deal personally.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Look for "The Beatles: Rock Band: Uncensored" in stores soon!

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "Look for "The Beatles: Rock Band: Uncensored" in stores soon!"
    I think "Working Class Hero" is the only recorded instance of a Beatle swearing.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I think the fact that Welcome Home is Welcome Home is what ruined Welcome Home."
    You trippin, dawg.  I love me some Coheed.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iamjohn
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Why wouldn't it be? It would take less than 5 bucks more in development. You could push out the same amount of games as you would if they were only 1 edition, but just divide it up. I don't know where you'd have to spend more money."
    Off the top of my head, here are the issues:
    • The cost of making two editions of the game, plus the instrument packs for said two additions.
    • The cost of developing and uploading two different version of the same songs onto XBLM and PSN.
    • The massive marketplace confusion that's going to come from having the exact same game on shelves in two rated forms, not to mention the DLC in two rated forms.
    • How do you deal with angry customers who would have bought the uncensored version in the first place and are now pissed that you never gave them the choice in the first place?
    • How do you deal with DLC?  Are you going to lock the content to the version (so if you have the T-version of the game, you can only buy censored DLC) or are you going to make everything fair game?  Even if we pretend the ESRB rules don't apply which would make it so that the content NEEDs to be version-locked, how do you make sure that customers understand that the version they are going to download is either the explicit or the censored version?  If someone has an explicit version in their censored game, how are you going to get around parental controls?  And what about importing explicit DLC into future games, some of which might just be rated T?  And if you version-lock it, see the previous issue.
    TL;DR - it would be a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

OmegaPirate said:
    "If you choose to download these its outside the jurisdiction of what the original game was rated as?"
    Again, it's against ESRB regulations; if they release M-rated DLC, Rock Band will be rerated M.  And they can't put out unrated versions, as none of the console manufacturers will allow unrated DLC.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoelTGM

No, just make an option in the game to turn swearing off.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jakob187
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "No, just make an option in the game to turn swearing off."
    ...because that works SOOO well in World of Warcraft already...
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iamjohn
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    You can turn off the violence in Gears of War; that doesn't make it any less M.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    iAmJohn said:
    • The cost of making two editions of the game, plus the instrument packs for said two additions.
    • The cost of developing and uploading two different version of the same songs onto XBLM and PSN.
    • The massive marketplace confusion that's going to come from having the exact same game on shelves in two rated forms, not to mention the DLC in two rated forms.
    • How do you deal with angry customers who would have bought the uncensored version in the first place and are now pissed that you never gave them the choice in the first place?
    • How do you deal with DLC?  Are you going to lock the content to the version (so if you have the T-version of the game, you can only buy censored DLC) or are you going to make everything fair game?  Even if we pretend the ESRB rules don't apply which would make it so that the content NEEDs to be version-locked, how do you make sure that customers understand that the version they are going to download is either the explicit or the censored version?  If someone has an explicit version in their censored game, how are you going to get around parental controls?  And what about importing explicit DLC into future games, some of which might just be rated T?  And if you version-lock it, see the previous issue.
    TL;DR - it would be a clusterfuck of epic proportions.
    Okay. The bulletpoints correspond to the above, of course:

• Like I said, if you divided your resources and just made half as many as each at launch, the only extra cost would be printing out boxart with "CENSORED" and "UNCENSORED". You could then balance it according to which version sells more, which would most likely be the censored version.
    • That costs money? How? People upload music to the internet for free every day, so how much could it take? It couldn't really honestly be a dealbreaking amount.
    • Give people some credit. What is confusing about "CENSORED" and "UNCENSORED"? 
    • What, do you mean with the first two Rock Bands? Because I don't think they should start now, but rather just make it a go-ahead for Rock Band 3.
    • Here's what you do. You pay 160 points for the ability to permanently download both versions of the song. The uncensored versions would only be compatible with the M game. If they accidentally download it, no worries; they can download the censored version for free, since they bought a code to download both infinitely. You'd make them know by putting next to the song "CENSORED" or "UNCENSORED". It would be listed thusly: Guerilla Radio (censored). That's plain as day. How they would version lock it, well, that's not something I can say without better knowledge of the game's infastructunre, and just knowledge of general programming. But, I guarantee that if the current generation of consoles and handhelds can download games wirelessly, this shit is possible.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JoelTGM
    iAmJohn said:
    "DOUBLESHOCK said:
    You can turn off the violence in Gears of War; that doesn't make it any less M.
    "
    Oh, you mean even though the game's mature content can be turned off, a kid still couldn't purchase it?  They could allow for a new kind of rating; I've thought about this before, make it like T - M "mature content can be disabled".  Can't sell it to a kid still because there is mature content in it, but at least the kid's parents would buy it for him seeing that the mature content can be disabled.  I don't think that kids who can't buy M rated games is a big enough issue to go and make two versions of the same game.  Still though, I think making an effort to inform the buyer that the mature content can be disabled is important.  I remember when I was younger and I wanted goldeneye 64, my parents wouldn't allow it, but when I told them you could make the guns shoot paintballs instead of bullets they let me get it.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iamjohn
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Give people some credit. What is confusing about "CENSORED" and "UNCENSORED"?"
    You obviously have never worked retail.

DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "Oh, you mean even though the game's mature content can be turned off, a kid still couldn't purchase it?  They could allow for a new kind of rating; I've thought about this before, make it like T - M "mature content can be disabled".  Can't sell it to a kid still because there is mature content in it, but at least the kid's parents would buy it for him seeing that the mature content can be disabled.  I don't kids who can't buy M rated games is a big enough issue to go and make two versions of the same game."
    Much as I agree, it's something the ESRB has no interest in doing.  Hot Coffee has already dictated what the ESRB's policy on content is: if it's on the disc, no matter if you can turn it off of you cannot access it, it contributes to the rating.  Which is also why the DLC argument wouldn't work because you're still downloading M-rated content into a T-rated game; they don't care if you can get it without a hack or not.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    iAmJohn said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "
    You honestly believe that the mass majority of people are so fucking stupid that they wouldn't be able to get the difference?

Really?

I'd like to know why. Any examples of comparable idiocy?
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Systech

Well, they don't need to. I would certainly like it, but it's sort of impractical.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iamjohn

Thankfully, my only retail job was working in a comic store, so at least the majority of people I had to deal with weren't complete idiots, but all the things I've seen hanging out in video game stores for years tells me that this would go way over peoples' heads.  Simply put, there are a lot of people who don't understand ratings, or would be baffled by two different versions of the game.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but 90% of people are just horribly uneducated on this stuff.

Not that it matters, though, because Harmonix still can't do it. :P
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "iAmJohn said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "
    You honestly believe that the mass majority of people are so fucking stupid that they wouldn't be able to get the difference?"
    Ark, I can help GUARANTEE that the mass majority of people are so fucking stupid that they wouldn't be able to get the difference.  You know how I know this?

We have 67 clocks in our store.  Guess how many times a day I'll get asked what time it is...
    ...BY A PERSON HOLDING A FUCKING CELL PHONE?!

The mass majority of people ARE fucking stupid, Ark.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shadow

Hell no.  That would mean someone with the censored version can't play it with someone with anyone else because it's incompatable with the uncensored one and that one person is the only one stupid enough to buy it.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iamjohn
    Shadow said:
    "Hell no.  That would mean someone with the censored version can't play it with someone with anyone else because it's incompatable with the uncensored one and that one person is the only one stupid enough to buy it."
    I hadn't thought of that, but that's a great point.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "iAmJohn said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "
    You honestly believe that the mass majority of people are so fucking stupid that they wouldn't be able to get the difference?"
    Ark, I can help GUARANTEE that the mass majority of people are so fucking stupid that they wouldn't be able to get the difference.  You know how I know this?

We have 67 clocks in our store.  Guess how many times a day I'll get asked what time it is...
    ...BY A PERSON HOLDING A FUCKING CELL PHONE?!

The mass majority of people ARE fucking stupid, Ark.
    "
    . . . . fine. I just like to think not everyone is a braindead waste of air.

It pisses me off that the general retardation of society makes it so I'll never be able to rock out RATM's version of "Pistol Grip Pump".
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince

No.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "It pisses me off that the general retardation of society makes it so I'll never be able to rock out RATM's version of "Pistol Grip Pump"."
    Why don't you just...ya know...get the mod for the game so you can make your own note charts...and then...ya know...make it yourself?  That's what we did back in the GHII and GHIII days, and it worked just fine.  Cacophony's "Concerto" was hella fun!!!

And with that...cue "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" custom chart for GHIII!

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EvilTwin

All of the workarounds and different skus and cross-version compatibility.  It just isn't worth their time when people are buying the censored stuff in droves. 

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By RHCPfan24

It is a fine idea and I think it should be controlled by the Parental Options as suggested before. And, yeah, Ark, like Jakob and IamJohn said, the majority of people are unfortunately retarded and won't be able to handle these "complex" ideas. I wouldn't be surprised if there are huge amounts of people that don't know the differences between entire albums and single songs on DLC, or just how to properly convert Microsoft Points to dollars.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "It pisses me off that the general retardation of society makes it so I'll never be able to rock out RATM's version of "Pistol Grip Pump"."
    Why don't you just...ya know...get the mod for the game so you can make your own note charts...and then...ya know...make it yourself?  That's what we did back in the GHII and GHIII days, and it worked just fine.  Cacophony's "Concerto" was hella fun!!!
    Cuz I would rather just spend my time writing original songs than making a note chart for a song I'll play a few times a month.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    Cuz I would rather just spend my time writing original songs than making a note chart for a song I'll play a few times a month.
    "
    Then what are you honestly complaining about?

Majority vs. minority, sir.  Either people will be pounding the drums to hard to give a shit about the censorship, or they'll be sloppy drunk and cussing anyways.  In the end, your argument is a moot point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.