Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band

Franchise »

The Rock Band franchise introduced the first rhythm game to incorporate drums and vocals in addition to guitar and bass instruments, creating a virtual band. It was also the first franchise to include genre staples such as Band World Tour, and character customization.

Poorly charted Rock Band songs that don't do the original justice

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By rjaylee

I recently picked up the Jimi Hendrix You Are Experienced album, and it's overall pretty fun and fine, but holy crap. Foxey Lady has to be the absolute worst charted song I've ever seen in terms of bastardization of the original song. This blows my mind because the rest of the album has charting that is perfectly fine. 

Anyways, this leads me to the question to you guys, have you guys bought or played some Rock Band songs that simply don't do the original song any sort of justice whatsoever due to absolutely terrible charting?
    Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Shabs

Actually, I almost never find this. I do have this problem constantly with Guitar Hero though. 

I haven't played the Hendrix stuff, but I suspect that Hendrix's loose playing technique might not translate in a logical way to a rigid button interface, so the people charting have to find some approximation.  I can think of a few examples of things that both RB and GH struggle with: 

• Bending strings: RB usually charts this as a single note for you to use the whammy bar with. GH charts the various notes hit as separate even though the original guitarist wouldn't be moving their fingers that way. Neither is ideal/intuitive.
    • Sliding chords up and down the neck: RB did better with this starting in RB2 - they'll make you slide your fingers in a certain shape up the plastic guitar neck. GH will make you hit all the notes in between awkwardly.

I'd bet Hendrix does these things a lot and other guitar manipulation, and I just don't know how you'd chart that. It's a limitation of the plastic instrument format.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DrPockets000

^^^ Pretty much everything this guy said.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By skrutop

I think it was GH3 where they charted slides as HO/POs from orange to green (or vice versa), but RB didn't start doing that until RB2 came out.  That was a welcome change. 

One guitar charting that always bothered me is the beginning of My Iron Lung by Radiohead.  There's a clear HO/PO in the song, but it's charted as separate strums.  I understand that was a limitation of the RB1 engine, but it's still annoying.  (@0:07):

The only song that I really disliked is Just What I Needed by The Cars.  They re-mixed the guitar audio in chorus.  If you listen to an mp3 of the song, there's a chord progression that I think is one of the signature elements of the song (the intro is the other).  Instead, the Rock Band mix pulls out an almost inaudible second guitar part that's probably more fun to play, but doesn't sound like the song I know.   Here's what I mean (@2:00): 

and here's what I thought they should've charted (@1:30);

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.