Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band

Franchise »

The Rock Band franchise introduced the first rhythm game to incorporate drums and vocals in addition to guitar and bass instruments, creating a virtual band. It was also the first franchise to include genre staples such as Band World Tour, and character customization.

The "Death of the Rhythm Genre"

Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dizazter
    http://www.giantbomb.com/news/guitar-hero-and-dj-hero-dlc-to-end-in-march/2916/

So Activision is totally cutting Guitar Hero and DJ Hero by the end of this month.  Not a massive shock, except that it was done so abruptly and unceremoniously.

But I think everyone is coming to some really quick and sloppy conclusions about what this means for the industry. I think the genre is definitely supersaturated. Way too much hardware, and way too many game, particularly guitar hero games. I think Rock Band's release schedule has always made sense, and your songs import from one game to the next. Given though that Rock Band 3 didn't sell very well.

Keep in mind, Guitar Hero set unprecedented sales records as people gobbled up all their game generations and new hardware. But Guitar Hero's model of buying a new 'game' every time to get more songs, never made any sense to me, and I was sick of it by GH3. So their death isn't big shock to me, their model is self defeating and unsustainable. Getting people to buy guitar after guitar after guitar, knowing next year there will be a newer better one to replace it makes everyone feel like tools, and ultimately everyone loses interest......for some time anyway.

But I think people are primarily burned out on hardware. No one wants to feel their living rooms with any more expensive plastic junk. So I think Rock Band could possible just ride the storm out by releasing good quality songs on a regular basis. So people are burned out.....for now. I see this genre getting revived in time. BUT - I think the solution for this hardware burnout, will be for future games to not focus on hardware so much. In fact, I think it would be key if future games would allow and encourage the use of real life, existing instruments, and just have a affordable conversion dongles, and have the game train people so they can use the instruments in real life, while having approachable casual modes that anyone can play.

So I think that like our economy, the music genre isn't dead, I just think it's going to go through a severe recession for a while.
    Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dizazter
    http://www.giantbomb.com/news/guitar-hero-and-dj-hero-dlc-to-end-in-march/2916/

So Activision is totally cutting Guitar Hero and DJ Hero by the end of this month.  Not a massive shock, except that it was done so abruptly and unceremoniously.

But I think everyone is coming to some really quick and sloppy conclusions about what this means for the industry. I think the genre is definitely supersaturated. Way too much hardware, and way too many game, particularly guitar hero games. I think Rock Band's release schedule has always made sense, and your songs import from one game to the next. Given though that Rock Band 3 didn't sell very well.

Keep in mind, Guitar Hero set unprecedented sales records as people gobbled up all their game generations and new hardware. But Guitar Hero's model of buying a new 'game' every time to get more songs, never made any sense to me, and I was sick of it by GH3. So their death isn't big shock to me, their model is self defeating and unsustainable. Getting people to buy guitar after guitar after guitar, knowing next year there will be a newer better one to replace it makes everyone feel like tools, and ultimately everyone loses interest......for some time anyway.

But I think people are primarily burned out on hardware. No one wants to feel their living rooms with any more expensive plastic junk. So I think Rock Band could possible just ride the storm out by releasing good quality songs on a regular basis. So people are burned out.....for now. I see this genre getting revived in time. BUT - I think the solution for this hardware burnout, will be for future games to not focus on hardware so much. In fact, I think it would be key if future games would allow and encourage the use of real life, existing instruments, and just have a affordable conversion dongles, and have the game train people so they can use the instruments in real life, while having approachable casual modes that anyone can play.

So I think that like our economy, the music genre isn't dead, I just think it's going to go through a severe recession for a while.
    Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Scapegoat

Where did this idea of buying more and more plastic come from? You could buy the game alone, not just bundled with hardware. 

I don't think the decline can be attributed to "hardware burnout" alone, and that it is being burnt out on the game style as a whole. A lot of people have been playing "press 5 buttons in time" for quite a few years now, and they just don't find it as infectiously addictive as they did when it was new and fresh and exciting to learn. 

I don't see how making it more complicated (real instruments) would reinvigorate the genre, simply because part of what makes the games great is that there is a much gentler learning curve in picking up a plastic instrument compared to a real one. Real instruments would also make the cost for entry considerably higher, and many people already found that rhythm games were simply too expensive to justify (full band kits and all that). 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

Why is this blog under the Rock Band heading when it's Guitar Hero that has gotten the axe? 

I don't agree that people are burnt out on the hardware.   As Scapegoat said, the smart people buy the game alone, using previous hardware.  Over the course of the years sure, I have amassed a few guitars here and there.  Within reason though, and because we went from PS2 guitars, to 360 Wired Guitars, to RB Guitars (wireless) to GH's wireless Guitars.

People are burnt out from fucking 11 XXXX Hero games in a year and a half.  And one of the things you did get spot on was GH's model of buying a new game every time.  I agree.  While I was a fan since the first, it was really starting to tick me off by the time I had GH, GH2 on both PS and 360, GH:Rock the 80s, and GH3.  The only one I ever plug in anymore is GH: Metallica. 

As for the part about games allowing  the use of real life instruments, that already exists.  It's called Power Gig, and if you haven't heard of it, that probably shows how well it's done for itself. 

As for myself, no, I don't find that I HAVE to go home and play whatever music game like maybe I did a few years ago.  But it's still a great party activity.  And honestly, Rock Band is also decent for keeping my voice in shape for singing.

Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dizazter
    @scapegoat: 
     Yeah I thought I stated that any real instruments would have to have an approachable casual mode. And yes, the cost is higher, but not really, compared to having to buy a new junky plastic guitar every year, cause it breaks, or a better one comes out. And I obviously didn't mean doing away with cheaper plastic instruments, just using real instruments should always be an option, but not the only option.

@melcene:  
    Put it in the Rock Band forum as I felt it was more about the future of Rock Band than the death of Guitar Hero, but I can totally see why you'd expect it to be in Guitar Hero.

I have heard of Power Gig, and no it hasn't done well, and a big part of that is the fact it is not a party game, like Rock Band is. No drums, no singing, no keyboard = Boo. And it got horrible reviews. I don't think its a good example.

But I do think Rock Band will stay around, as long as it continues to be well supported, and they make smart marketing decisions. I am a little weary of what they did with new songs having keyboard support, but old songs don't, and having to pay extra for pro mode for guitar but not for drums. One of the big problems I ran into playing Rockband 3, is that in a party, we had singer(s), drummer, guitarist, bassist, and keyboardist. Now, if someone selected an older song, now we had to explain to every one that either the bassist would have to not play, or the keyboard would get booted, but we couldn't have both. This confused everyone. Why can you just have the bassist AND the keyboardist both playing the bass part on old songs???
    '

This is kind of a side issue, but how did you guys feel about the characters in Guitar Hero? I found people MUCH more preferred to make their own character and customize the crap out of it, as opposed to being forced to use one of Guitar Heros annoying pre-made characters and just changing the skin on it.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By melcene

Consider this regarding Power Gig:  Guitar Hero started out with only Guitar and Bass parts too.  Though since Power Gig isn't doing well, I doubt they'll expand to the other instruments. 

I agree with on some of the problems with Rock Band.  I don't like the whole pro mode thing, really.  I mean the idea behind it is cool.  It's the pricing model I'm not fond of. 

Also yes, the lack of keyboard support for the older songs (without paying to upgrade the song, IF the upgrade is even available) has made it so that my keyboard pretty much just collects dust. 

The characters in GH I kinda liked.  I think maybe its because I played since the beginning.  I didn't like some of the changes they made to them though throughout the games.  I remember I was very disappointed in Pandora for a game or two, and even Casey for a game or two.  Though yes, I often preferred to customize my own character.  GH's character customization wasn't too bad either.  In fact, I found that I preferred their character customization more in some regards. 

As to the future of Rock Band, I don't know that I agree with what people are saying in the other thread about the music selection of DLC.  I usually find a pack a month (or the equivalent number of songs) that I want to download.  And there are some real gems in the RBN as long as you're not strictly looking for stuff you've heard of before.  I don't even have HALF of the DLC available, and we still have plenty of music to have fun with.  My fear though, now that I think about it, is that HMX might do away with their weekly DLC content and just have the game supported by RBN.  If this does happen, then we'll know that there are problems.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

This topic is making me feel like everybody is forgetting that Rock Band 3 can use real instruments.... =/

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By melcene
    @CL60: I think it's that no one does.  I've never tried plugging our bass or guitar in.  But that's because I play RB to have fun, not to feel like I'm practicing.  =/
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60
    @melcene said:
    " @CL60: I think it's that no one does.  I've never tried plugging our bass or guitar in.  But that's because I play RB to have fun, not to feel like I'm practicing.  =/ "
    I would have more fun playing pro mode than playing the same thing I've been playing for years.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By melcene
    @CL60: I can understand that.  But I'm a complete novice at real guitar/bass, so honestly I'm scared to hook it up.  That and I guess kinda like I mentioned, I don't get sick of the content because I'm always finding new content to mess with. 

But I'll be honest, I probably play a total of 2-4 nights a month, usually on the lower end of that.
    Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dizazter
    @CL60 said:
    " This topic is making me feel like everybody is forgetting that Rock Band 3 can use real instruments.... =/ "
    Good point man. I often forget that myself. Well, but you're talking about electronic drum kit, and keyboard, but there's no real guitar option though, until that new one comes out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.