Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Rock Band expands on the concepts Harmonix established in its Guitar Hero franchise by allowing players to play guitar, bass, drums, and sing to a variety of songs from various sub-genres and time periods.

Rock Band's Best and Worst Covers

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By A Likely Story

For on disc songs, I'd say the best cover is Paranoid. Harmonix has definitely improved on their covers a ton (remember Killing in the Name Of?), and their Black Sabbath ones are especially good. The worst for on disc is probably Mississippi Queen...the singer just sounds so scrawny! It's not completely messed up, but still the worst I'd say.

For DLC (of the ones I have at least) the worst is probably Ten Speed by Coheed and Cambria. The best is probably again the Black Sabbath songs or My Sharona.

kratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kratos
    Hobbies said:
    "For on disc songs, I'd say the best cover is Paranoid. Harmonix has definitely improved on their covers a ton (remember Killing in the Name Of?), and their Black Sabbath ones are especially good. The worst for on disc is probably Mississippi Queen...the singer just sounds so scrawny! It's not completely messed up, but still the worst I'd say.

For DLC (of the ones I have at least) the worst is probably Ten Speed by Coheed and Cambria...Welcome Home wasn't bad, but they pretty much killed the vocals on this one. : \ The best is probably again the Black Sabbath songs or My Sharona.
    "
    Yeah the BS covers are all pretty good.  The worst for me have to be both Iron Maiden both Number of the Beast, and Run to the Hills. 
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By A Likely Story

I thought RTTH was a pretty good cover, but I don't listen to Iron Maiden so I guess I wouldn't know. XD

nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By nat

Atleast you guys get to play rockband, we are still waiting for a release date in au :(
    *cuts myself in a corner*

demp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By demp

Yeah the worst has to be Number of the Beast, but Heroes is pretty close to it. Ugh.

abomstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By abomstar

Covers are tremendous with the exception of Number of the Beast and Ten Speed. And Ten Speed isn't even bad, per se, it just isn't convincing enough; the overall production of it seems pretty hollow compared to the album track.

Sweet Leaf, Song WIth a Mission, Beetlebum, and others are impeccable. Oh, and I love they guy they got to do the Bowie covers; went into practice mode with the instruments turned down on Queen Bitch just to listen to that isolated vocal track.

AceOfSpades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By AceOfSpades

All the Rush covers kinda suck.  Thank God we're finally getting some real Rush.

ElConnro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ElConnro

Run to the Hills is good, so is Train Kept a Rollin. I think the Rush covers are okay, unlike some people who think they're terrible. The Number of the Beast is pretty bad, but none stick out to me as terrible. I think almost all of the covers are at least decent, unlike ones in the past (*cough* Killing in the Name *cough*).

SirThirdFilms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SirThirdFilms

The only one I really don't like is Number of the Beast cause I mean come on that sounds horrid. But that song is fucking classic compared to the now infamous....kuh kuh kuh Killing in the Name

NathanRandom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NathanRandom

Ten Speed still grates me. I can ignore it when I'm playing it, but i'd just much rather they had the original. HMX could make up for it with an entire DLC C+C album though....

Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Caddy

I don't like Run to the Hills very much, I think the vocals are just bad, although I might just be harsh as I am an massive Maiden fan.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Sil3n7

Maybe Im crazy but I thought ten speed was one of the better ones, the rush ones arnt that great though

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By A Likely Story

I thought that Ten Speed was fine when I first got it because I never took the time to really listen to it while I was playing. Just scroll down to it on the list and listen to the preview; at first it sounds acceptable, but by the end it gets ear burning.

I actually think the Rush covers are fine, and I didn't expect Harmonix to find someone that matches Geddy's voice, but what they have pleases me.

Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Timma1083

Best Cover: Probably one of the Black Sabbath Songs for DLC, and probably Paranoid for on disc.
    Worst Cover: The Number of the Beast, my God, turn it off. How the hell did they screw that up so badly?

nymets819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By nymets819

Best cover is Run to the Hills, and i dont know about the worst cover

Zell_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zell_Rocks

I love the My Sharona cover, it's almost better than the original.

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By OroJackson
    Zell_Rocks said:
    "I love the My Sharona cover, it's almost better than the original.
    "
    I agree the My Sharona cover is probably the best, while Number of the Beast is definitively the worst.

On disc GGaHT is the best, while Tom Sawyer is the worst
    fryedrycestyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fryedrycestyle

I think the worst is either Number of the Beast or War Pigs... the best is probably the Paranoid cover on disc.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mourne

I guess War Pigs if I have to choose a worse one, but I want to say that Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial) is the best. I know, I know -- a lot of Coheed & Cambria fans say it sounds nothing like him, but everyone I've showed the song to and then mentioned it was a cover to all express considerable surprise. It really is a fantastic cover, at least for the less ardent Coheed & Cambria fans.

Let's not forget Train Kept A Rollin', either. Whoever covered Steven Tyler there could easily be his voice double.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm seeing "Number of the Beast" pop up frequently.  Is it that different from the Guitar Hero cover?

comedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By comedy

Tom Sawyer and Ten Speed.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By pbhawks45

GH had the master track, RB did not. Probably a money issue knowing Activision.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There weren't many covers, and the ones that were, I didn't care about.

Bmasterlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bmasterlord

Paranoid is probably the best with Number of the beast being god awful and the worst in my mind, thank god these companies are finally getting the deal and realizing covers suck keep em out of your game at all costs.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By A Likely Story

I actually woulnd't mind covers if they were as good as the RB covers have been. If it means we can have bigger names and bigger songs, I'm all for it as long as they can pull it off well.

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By OroJackson
    License_To_Bill said:
    "There weren't many covers, and the ones that were, I didn't care about."
    Its probably that the drums did not have suitable masters rendering them unusable for Rock Band, while all Guitar Hero needs is a separate track for guitar and they are set.
    Logan_Aybara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Logan_Aybara

I bought it anyway, but whoever covered David Bowie on Heroes mangled that song.  I thought the CCR Fortunate Son cover was pretty good.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JohnDudebro
    Abomstar said:
    "Covers are tremendous with the exception of Number of the Beast and Ten Speed. And Ten Speed isn't even bad, per se, it just isn't convincing enough; the overall production of it seems pretty hollow compared to the album track.

Sweet Leaf, Song WIth a Mission, Beetlebum, and others are impeccable. Oh, and I love they guy they got to do the Bowie covers; went into practice mode with the instruments turned down on Queen Bitch just to listen to that isolated vocal track.
    "
    Have you ever heard Blur? The cover is abysmal. One of the worst, after Ten Speed and Number of the Beast.
    Kevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kevin

I was seriously pumped to play Tom Sawyer... then I heard the singer's voice...

"Catch the MYSTERY!"

-_-

TenderTalons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By TenderTalons
    BananaKid said:
    "Abomstar said:
    "Covers are tremendous with the exception of Number of the Beast and Ten Speed. And Ten Speed isn't even bad, per se, it just isn't convincing enough; the overall production of it seems pretty hollow compared to the album track.

"
    Have you ever heard Blur? The cover is abysmal. One of the worst, after Ten Speed and Number of the Beast.
    "
    Dude, I'm sorry but I have to disagree on Beetlebum. No one is going to sound like Damon Albarn EVER, but from a strict technical instrumental point of view, the cover is damn near indistinguishable from the original. I've heard the original a billion times and know it inside and out, and it's very difficult for me to find fault in the cover.
    PrawnToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PrawnToast

The Maiden covers have painful vocals.

We need some real Maiden tracks with the mighty Bruce Dickinson intact - Anything from the Powerslave or Seventh Son albums would be good for me.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DualReaver

Best would be My Sharona.
    Seriously the Maiden covers are effin terrible, specially that Number of the Beast one.
    I WANT SOME REAL MAIDEN DAMN IT!

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Joru

Paranoid is propably the worst for me, I just hate playing it. The singer just isn't Ozzy... The best are propably Train Kept a Rollin', GGaHT and Ballroom Blitz. They're all adequate anyway but I think Mississippi Queen and Paranoid were done much better in GH3.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Oni

Number of the Beast. I haven't bought it because every time I hear the preview I am instantly turned off, awful vocals. I would buy that song if it was the original.

On that note, why don't they use the original? GH3 has the original in it. Did they only have the master for the guitars and not the drums/vocals or something?

Also, Train Kept a Rollin. I didn't even know it was a cover till I read this thread. Not a huge Aerosmith fan but that dude does a mean Steve Tyler.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.