Rock of Ages on Steam doesn't work.

#1 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -

Hi all,

I recently purchased and downloaded Rock of Ages through Steam, following Giant Bomb's positive review & quick look.

As soon as I try to run the game through Steam and the application shortcut, the game crashes and it gives me an error report.

I've been thinking about trying to get a refund, but apparently this isn't possible through Steam, which sucks.

Anyone else been experiencing this issue?

My System Spec

Intel Xeon 2.66Ghz

ATI Radeon X1900 XT

10GB RAM

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

#2 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

Looks like it might be your processor, which doesn't seem to be dual-core, and graphics card...I'm not sure though. Did you check the system requirements for the game?

And how on earth do you have 10 GB RAM ?

#3 Posted by 71Ranchero (2776 posts) -

A Xeon? Arent those for servers? Also 10gb of ram and a 5 Year old GFX card that was notorious for dying. What a curious PC you have..... 

#4 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

You're... playing on a server?

#5 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -
@Atramentous said:
A Xeon? Arent those for servers?
Indeed they are.
#6 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2002 posts) -

It works fine for me, though I have a pc that was not built for physics lab simulations, but for gaming.

#7 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

It couldn't hurt to provide the error report. Still, I think you're better off discussing the issue here.

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6283 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

It works fine for me, though I have a pc that was not built for physics lab simulations, but for gaming.

I laughed much too much at this.

#9 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

WTF kind if hardware is that?

#10 Posted by wealllikepie (757 posts) -

@random_guy23 said:

My System Spec

Intel Xeon 2.66Ghz

ATI Radeon X1900 XT

10GB RAM

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

did you try running crysis on that pc? :P

#11 Posted by ds8k (413 posts) -

What an odd configuration. Anyway, refunds on Steam can be tricky. Rarely will you be able to get a refund because the game doesn't work on your machine. Even if you do get lucky and end up with a refund, that will be your only refund ever from Steam. Is it really worth the 10 bucks when maybe the problem lies somewhere within your computer?

#12 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -

It's a Mac Pro, if anyone was wondering, the Intel Xeon is basically two processors in one so to speak. So it's effectively a quad core.

I've bootcamped Windows 7 x64 onto it, and I've installed all the correct drivers. Other games, like Crysis, run fine :)

#13 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

A bit off topic but why do you have 10GB RAM?

#14 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton: For video editing and 3D modelling, mostly :)

#15 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I'd say your PC configuration is a little weird at best.
Your graphics card is quite old and your processor, well, enough people have said it already, but that's for servers...

#16 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -

@KillyDarko: I'll admit the graphics card is a bit old, it's a 512mb card, I plan on upgrading to a better card very soon, maybe next week in fact!

But I can play Crysis on high settings with it at a good 40-60 FPS, so surely it will be able to run Rock of Ages?

#17 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

@random_guy23: What I meant is why 10GB, it is a very odd combination of sticks.

#18 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton: The Mac Pro has 8 slots for RAM built into it, so I've got 4x 2GB sticks in one side, and 4x 512MB sticks in the other side, so that together equals 10GB.

#19 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@random_guy23 said:

@KillyDarko: I'll admit the graphics card is a bit old, it's a 512mb card, I plan on upgrading to a better card very soon, maybe next week in fact!

But I can play Crysis on high settings with it at a good 40-60 FPS, so surely it will be able to run Rock of Ages?

Ah, ok... that seems weird, then. Are your drivers up to date?
I'm not sure what might be happening, then. I haven't purchased the game yet (although I plan to), so I don't know if it would crash on my system or not...
Wish I could be of more help, sorry :(
#20 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -

Here is the error report that I get when I try to run the game through Steam.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RoA.exe
Application Version: 1.0.7748.0
Application Timestamp: 4e668fcc
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16850
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e211485
Exception Code: 00000001
Exception Offset: 0000b9bc
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 1c00
Additional Information 2: 1c001557fb97ba9ebe136bc59abd9021
Additional Information 3: 9b1c
Additional Information 4: 9b1c4284f637333269c34e1b6d4d4f12
Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
#21 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

@random_guy23: They've updated the game a few times over the last week, maybe it'll work for you now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.