So... this game is pretty baller.

Posted by Sweep (8861 posts) -

It's kind of weird to me that more people aren't getting actively hyped about Rock Of Ages. It's a glorified glorious tower defence game. You guys like Plants Vs Zombies, right? Well, Rock of Ages is kinda like that, except you control a huge rock with a face on it. Also you travel through time. There may or may not be battle cows. How can you not like that?

ACE Team are a weird group of guys.

Firstly they conjure up the downright nightmarish Zeno Clash, and now a game in which Sisyphus battles his way through time by smashing down fortresses with a giant rock. Also, there are war elephants. The absolute cluster-fuck of surreality for which the studio is earning a budding reputation is one that I would like to support - a much more conceptually interesting project than the latest "KILL THAT GUY WITH BULLETS" murder simulator. When the quick look arrived last week I was already fairly sure I was going to buy the game, but watching Ryan and Patrick play looked so much fun that I had bought the game and started installing it on XBL before the video had even finished.

Rock Of Ages is a lot of fun.

I think it's important to put that out there, with the medium becoming increasingly complex - Rock Of Ages has been stripped down to be a fast, light, funny and entertaining product. The "storyline" involves a sequence of 30 second cinematics and a handful of different mountains down which you must roll. That's really all there is to it. Oh, except one level where I had to fight a dragon. That was weird.

What makes Rock Of Ages unique is it's style.

The cardboard cut-out aesthetic may initially look strange, but I took to it instantly, being a huge Monty Python fanboy. I have to mention that the sounds in this game are also great, with stock screams, farts & incoherent simlish mumbles giving the game a lot of character. There's something wonderfully satisfying about the terrified bleating of the peasantry as you crush them beneath your enormous boulder.

Where it gets interesting is in building your defence. My brother and I have been experimenting at length as to what makes the best combination of items and the best way of positioning them to cause your opponent the maximum inconvenience. I tend to opt for rows of towers with catapults behind, while my brother has an ongoing fascination with the War Elephants. I would rather channel the enemy off a cliff using fans and dynamite, whereas he would rather use that dynamite to smash you into tiny pieces. The jury is still out as to which tactic is more effective.

That would be one of my few issues with Rock Of Ages - any moderately skilled player can easily avoid the majority of enemy traps and weaponry, and in many cases the game becomes a race - as the gate will almost always be destroyed by the third run, regardless of how well structured the defence is. Knocking an enemy off a cliff will set them back a couple of seconds but it won't lessen the damage they do to your base, so it's only really an issue if you are lagging behind. It therefore makes more sense to use your limited resources for blocking shortcuts and bottle-necks instead of attempting to destroy the opposition's siege boulder.

Yep.

The important thing to stress here is that Rock Of Ages is a thoroughly charming game.

I think what I like about it the most is it's easygoing sense of humour. It doesn't try too hard to be funny, and it doesn't sell itself as a funny game, though the humour is definitely there. I still cackle with glee whenever I break open the doors of an enemy fortress, to hear them screaming like little girls, and I chuckled repeatedly at the introduction to Plague. The game oozes an insanity that perfectly matches my own weird sense of humour, and for that reason it was an instant hit. I think this may be one of the few games which I actually attempt to S-Rank, as I need to squeeze as much time out of this purchase as possible.

Rock Of Ages isn't a super competitive game - this isn't Starcraft, folks, and there's only a limited amount of finesse one can employ when placing battle cows, but it's a blast to play split screen, and definitely worth your time. And money.

Thanks For Reading

Love Sweep

#1 Edited by Sweep (8861 posts) -

It's kind of weird to me that more people aren't getting actively hyped about Rock Of Ages. It's a glorified glorious tower defence game. You guys like Plants Vs Zombies, right? Well, Rock of Ages is kinda like that, except you control a huge rock with a face on it. Also you travel through time. There may or may not be battle cows. How can you not like that?

ACE Team are a weird group of guys.

Firstly they conjure up the downright nightmarish Zeno Clash, and now a game in which Sisyphus battles his way through time by smashing down fortresses with a giant rock. Also, there are war elephants. The absolute cluster-fuck of surreality for which the studio is earning a budding reputation is one that I would like to support - a much more conceptually interesting project than the latest "KILL THAT GUY WITH BULLETS" murder simulator. When the quick look arrived last week I was already fairly sure I was going to buy the game, but watching Ryan and Patrick play looked so much fun that I had bought the game and started installing it on XBL before the video had even finished.

Rock Of Ages is a lot of fun.

I think it's important to put that out there, with the medium becoming increasingly complex - Rock Of Ages has been stripped down to be a fast, light, funny and entertaining product. The "storyline" involves a sequence of 30 second cinematics and a handful of different mountains down which you must roll. That's really all there is to it. Oh, except one level where I had to fight a dragon. That was weird.

What makes Rock Of Ages unique is it's style.

The cardboard cut-out aesthetic may initially look strange, but I took to it instantly, being a huge Monty Python fanboy. I have to mention that the sounds in this game are also great, with stock screams, farts & incoherent simlish mumbles giving the game a lot of character. There's something wonderfully satisfying about the terrified bleating of the peasantry as you crush them beneath your enormous boulder.

Where it gets interesting is in building your defence. My brother and I have been experimenting at length as to what makes the best combination of items and the best way of positioning them to cause your opponent the maximum inconvenience. I tend to opt for rows of towers with catapults behind, while my brother has an ongoing fascination with the War Elephants. I would rather channel the enemy off a cliff using fans and dynamite, whereas he would rather use that dynamite to smash you into tiny pieces. The jury is still out as to which tactic is more effective.

That would be one of my few issues with Rock Of Ages - any moderately skilled player can easily avoid the majority of enemy traps and weaponry, and in many cases the game becomes a race - as the gate will almost always be destroyed by the third run, regardless of how well structured the defence is. Knocking an enemy off a cliff will set them back a couple of seconds but it won't lessen the damage they do to your base, so it's only really an issue if you are lagging behind. It therefore makes more sense to use your limited resources for blocking shortcuts and bottle-necks instead of attempting to destroy the opposition's siege boulder.

Yep.

The important thing to stress here is that Rock Of Ages is a thoroughly charming game.

I think what I like about it the most is it's easygoing sense of humour. It doesn't try too hard to be funny, and it doesn't sell itself as a funny game, though the humour is definitely there. I still cackle with glee whenever I break open the doors of an enemy fortress, to hear them screaming like little girls, and I chuckled repeatedly at the introduction to Plague. The game oozes an insanity that perfectly matches my own weird sense of humour, and for that reason it was an instant hit. I think this may be one of the few games which I actually attempt to S-Rank, as I need to squeeze as much time out of this purchase as possible.

Rock Of Ages isn't a super competitive game - this isn't Starcraft, folks, and there's only a limited amount of finesse one can employ when placing battle cows, but it's a blast to play split screen, and definitely worth your time. And money.

Thanks For Reading

Love Sweep

#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Saw you playing this and thought I'd get it. Probably will after the read.

#3 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

I lost my entire weekend to this game and am bummed that it's not doing too well- if the online experience is to be believed. And it's a shame because the game is a DAMN JOY. I haven't had this much fun with such an original, odd game in a while.

#4 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
Rock of Ages is really fucking weird and kind of unbalanced, especially since the "tower-defense" aspect isn't as integral to gameplay as it should be, but I'm having a blast with it so far.
#5 Edited by Red12b (9084 posts) -

ba-dum-tish  
The QL was amazing both as the game and the QL,  

is it on PSN...?

#6 Posted by Quipido (636 posts) -

Good read.

I was really hyped after I saw the Quick Look, but then I decided to actually try the trial version befor I spend any money - and I have to say, by the time I finished those 3 or 4 levels aviable in there I felt exactly the same issue as you described - there isn't much to the building and you will almost every time get to the end with your 3rd rock. I love the esthetics of the game and the idea is sound, but it seems to me it's lacking in execution.

I did't get it in the end.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11025 posts) -

Haha, baller, funny. 

#8 Posted by sharkeh (71 posts) -

@Sweep said:

It's kind of weird to me that more people aren't getting actively hyped about Rock Of Ages. It's a glorified glorious tower defence game.

Nuff' said.

#9 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

This game is baller? Why, I would even say that this game rocks!

#10 Posted by Mowgers (379 posts) -

This game is pretty boulder more like.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Boom.

#11 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2721 posts) -

I'll definitely need to buy this game. Is it out on PSN yet?

#12 Posted by Sweep (8861 posts) -

@Mowgers: BOOOOOOurns?

@Snail: Too easy.

@sharkeh said:

@Sweep said:

It's kind of weird to me that more people aren't getting actively hyped about Rock Of Ages. It's a glorified glorious tower defence game.

Nuff' said.

If that was genuinely 'nuff then I wouldn't have bothered writing the rest of the blog. There's a lot more to the game than the tower defence aspects of gameplay. Open you mind!

#13 Posted by rmanthorp (3949 posts) -

I really want to get this but I am torn between PC and xbox because I have friends I want to play on both.

#14 Posted by sharkeh (71 posts) -

@Sweep: Maybe I should of said "Nuff' said, for me!". Disliking tower defence games does not a closed mind make. <3

#15 Edited by jozzy (2042 posts) -

I like the look of the game but the fact that it's much just "who can go down a hill the fastest on the third run" is really off-putting to me. I understand why they did it though, I reckon defence was more important at some point in the games life but it made the game less fun to play/more frustrating so they changed it.

Big fan of Zeno Clash though so I probably should buy it just to support these guys and their weird-ass games.

#16 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Well said, I had a friend come over after I had seen the QL, so I downloaded the trial version and got him to play it split screen style. It was incredibly fun. We are also huge Monty Python fans. 

#17 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

I can't wait to pick this up on Steam tomorrow if money permits. It looks incredibly fun.

#18 Posted by Gaff (1758 posts) -

Hm. After Zeno Clash and now this, you could say that ACE Team is... on a roll.

#19 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

I think Tower Defense may help describe it, but it doesn't help sell it. I never got into any Tower Defense games because outside of the strategy of unit placement there is nothing much to do in those types of games. The great thing about Rock of Ages is that you play a pretty fun game between laying down these units, and as you have said, your performance on that part is ultimately what decides matches. People also mention Monkey Ball to describe the rolling part, but they could just as easily nod to Sonic the Hedgehog. Excellent game, everyone should at least download the Xbox trial. Only major issue I had with it was that a couple keys seemed impossible to get, and the boss battles in the single-player at not fun at all. Thankfully there are only a few of those.

#20 Posted by ZombiePie (5672 posts) -

To think all that all of your blogs are going to break thirty comments and for me this week's Spotlight wont even break twenty.

#21 Posted by Lozz (308 posts) -

Can't wait to buy this!

#22 Posted by Sweep (8861 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

To think all that all of your blogs are going to break thirty comments and for me this week's Spotlight wont even break twenty.

If you are doing this for the comments then you are doing it wrong ;)

#23 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -
@Gaff said:

Hm. After Zeno Clash and now this, you could say that ACE Team is... on a roll.

Fuck.
#25 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

this game is stone cold quality 
roll with the punches and pick it up today 
rock n roll 
get stoned

#26 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -

ooo I love tower defense. I was put off from the game because it conjured up a mental image of the church hymn Rock of Ages + Rock band, and that was not a pretty sight.  But now I can add this to my list of games that I wish I could play if I had a console in the state. frowny face.

#27 Edited by thebexexpress (38 posts) -

I feel like the main review here sort of downplayed some aspects of the campaign and war mode- I can't remember if it was in the quick look or the review, but someone said that the fact that they'd never really seen breaking a gate down take more or less than three hits somewhat undermined the tactical elements of the game. I've seen it take four a whole bunch of times, though, and completely breaking the opponent's boulder has come into play a lot lately too. If you're worried about it involving nothing but a speedy third run, I'd still encourage you to check it out.

It doesn't look like there's much happening on steam multiplayer, but I have a few friends who will play with me, and it's been great on that level.

im waiting for that to be fixed, does anyone know if this is a problem on the steam version? please be certain before answering

Well I sure wouldn't stake my life on it, Tarsier, but the people I was playing with (I always hosted) said the lag was pretty bad on the steam version.

#28 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@Sweep I'm with your brother, elephants are the shit. Find a place which naturally slows the rock down like a turn, and just mass elephants... Quite often they smash it to bits, but at least they'll push him off.
#29 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Sweep said:
The absolute cluster-fuck of surreality for which the studio is earning a budding reputation is one that I would like to support - a much more conceptually interesting project than the latest "KILL THAT GUY WITH BULLETS" murder simulator. 
...aaaand I just bought a game I will probably never play. I hope you're happy, Sweep.
#30 Posted by Sweep (8861 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: I'm always happy. I want to be inside you.

#31 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@AhmadMetallic: I'm always happy. I want to be inside you.

get away!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.