Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock of Ages

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 31, 2011

Rock of Ages is a downloadable game from ACE Team where players take on the role of Sisyphus as he uses the boulder he was cursed with to smash the defences of famous generals and kings from history and gain supremacy in the strangest rock-related story ever told.

The Tower Defense Aspect

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThePaleKing

Anyone else found themselves mostly ignoring the tower defense, or at least not putting any effort into the strategy of it? In the single player (I haven't tried the multiplayer), I tended to just scatter bombs around and place a few tall towers on the ramps; in the later leves I would just cluster cows together at choke points (surprisingly effective). Being the first down the hill seemed far more vital to winning.  

The tower defense certainly didn't hamper my enjoyment of the game - some of the funnest moments were seeing an enemy being pushed into a pile of explosives by a herd of cows - just never saw the need to think strongly on it.  

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CptBedlam

Played the demo and it was the tower defense aspect that held me back from buying the game. It just seemed too ineffective and I didn't get a good sense of building an effective defense. It was just semi-random placement of things and too much of a guessing game.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By ectoplasma

I share that sentiment. The fun of the tower defense is kind of diminished becasue you never really see if your placement is any good or not. There is no real satisfaction from buidling traps if you dont see the enemy navigate it. I think an additional turnbased mode would greatly improve the experience in this regard. One player is steering the rock and one player is setting up traps and then just watching the other player instead of playing simultaniously. You could still have the same win criteria by just taking the time of every round. I think I will try to reach the delevopers about it. What do you guys think?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hatking

Totally agree, I used the same bovine-strategy throughout most of the levels I've played.  Frankly I'd have been just as happy (or happier) if you didn't place objects, the enemy didn't have a boulder, and it was more about you avoiding/destroying their defenses in a certain amount of attempts.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThePaleKing
    @ectoplasma said:

I think an additional turnbased mode would greatly improve the experience in this regard. One player is steering the rock and one player is setting up traps and then just watching the other player instead of playing simultaniously. You could still have the same win criteria by just taking the time of every round. I think I will try to reach the delevopers about it. What do you guys think?

@HatKing said:
    Frankly I'd have been just as happy (or happier) if you didn't place objects, the enemy didn't have a boulder, and it was more about you avoiding/destroying their defenses in a certain amount of attempts.

This is actually what I originally thought the game was going to be like; I would love to see them add it in, either through a patch or DLC (one of those developers I wouldn't mind giving more money to). 
    abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By abdo

True, it doesn't seem that effective, but it still helps, especially when you figure out the best places to build your stuff. Didn't stop me from enjoying the game immensely. 

@ectoplasma: That's a pretty cool idea. The devs are quite active on the game's Steam forum, that might be the best place to reach them.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I found the tower defence section quite useful but only on certain levels.  On levels where there's a really good choke point or obstacle I'd place 100% of my defences there.  I managed to kill quite a few boulders using that strategy, if you can manage to push their boulder off the edge and then keep them away from your towers using elephants and or fans and attack them with catapults.   It's not possible on all levels or even most levels, in those levels your better off spending all your money on bolder upgrades and rushing the enemy's gate which is unfortunate.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By imsh_pl

From what I've seen the most important aspect is to just get down to the enemy's gate asap.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By abdo
    @imsh_pl said:
    From what I've seen the most important aspect is to just get down to the enemy's gate asap.
    Yup, try to adjust to the enemy, learn the maps and find the best route through

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.