How do you play chords quickly?

#1 Posted by N7Joker (13 posts) -

I just started learning guitar and I bought this game to help me out. I've really improved in the past few weeks on single note songs, but chord/combo songs are killing me! When I see the chord coming I instantly recognize it and can play it correctly but it takes me 2-3 seconds to get my fingers in the right spots. 2-3 seconds is way too long it seems like I need to do it in under 1 second to play the song properly. How do you guys move your fingers so fast? BTW the song I have been practicing is all the small things by blink-182.

#2 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -

Cousin! It's good to see you again!

Maybe this can help? :)

#3 Posted by N7Joker (13 posts) -

Thanks N7. I'm following you now, It just seems right. lol

#4 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Only way to start doing it quickly is repetition. You'll find that with enough practice it takes little effort to shift from chord to chord (unless it's a particularly messed-up shape).

#5 Posted by kindgineer (2733 posts) -

@owl_of_minerva said:

Only way to start doing it quickly is repetition. You'll find that with enough practice it takes little effort to shift from chord to chord (unless it's a particularly messed-up shape).

#6 Posted by N7Joker (13 posts) -

@owl_of_minerva said:

Wow I've been playing the song a lot and I've almost got it mastered. It's like my fingers have a mind of their own and can remember the position and effortlessly go in to the proper position. This game is awesome!

#7 Posted by tydigame (85 posts) -

Glad to see you're getting the hang of it. One thing that I found helpful when I was learning is to think about how to minimize moving your fingers. For instance, when you shift from a G to a C, you can finger the chord so that you don't have to change the shape of your fingers on the E and A strings. That way, you can just drag them down to the next lower string and not have to completely reorient your fingers. Little tricks like that can be really helpful.

#8 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

Just keep practicing. Just keep switching back and forth from one chord to another while prioritizing accuracy, and then slowly ramp up your speed.

#9 Edited by Berserk007 (207 posts) -

Really its all comes down to muscle memory, my best suggestion is to go back and forth between the chords about 50 times in one sitting. Even if it is frustrating at first you will reach a point where it just feels natural.

#10 Posted by Heltom92 (713 posts) -

The best thing that someone told me was to not stop at all. Just try to keep your strumming going. If you don't get the Chord completely right don't worry the most important thing is that you keep a steady rhythm going.

#11 Edited by tyxja (280 posts) -

Practice, my man. Just like learning to type on a keyboard. Eventually your brain will be able to tell your hand exactly where to go.

#12 Posted by Ksaw (343 posts) -

Muscle memory. Keep doing it until it's easy, you will get there eventually.

#13 Posted by rflx (576 posts) -

Practice. That is all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.