What we've seen of Rocksmith, Ubisoft's unfortunately-titled first foray into the admittedly dicey realm of non-dancing music games, has so far been... questionable. The game itself, which retails for $79.99 and includes a specialized quarter-inch-to-USB dongle that allows you to plug any electric guitar into your Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or PC, actually sounds like it could be pretty cool. But when your initial marketing video looks like an accidental parody of bad marketing videos, and repeatedly claims to be the first "real guitar game" despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, you might have a little work to do when it comes to convincing players of your product's credibility.
One good way to go about fixing that problem would be to include a great soundtrack full of both major classic rock artists and burgeoning modern rock acts. After all, one of the best things about the early Guitar Hero games was the mixing of songs you automatically recognize and stuff you discover through the game itself. Hell, it's all Guitar Hero II's fault that I discovered both The Sword and Dethklok.
Today, Ubisoft went a long way toward rekindling that classic feeling by announcing a slew of new tracks set to be featured on Rocksmith's soundtrack. It's actually quite a good list that runs the gamut from old school behemoths like The Rolling Stones and Lynyrd Skynyrd, alternative bastions like The Pixies, Radiohead, and Soundgarden, and modern artists like The White Stripes, Spoon, and The Black Keys.
Since there is absolutely nothing worse than a list of songs with no accompanying audio, I went ahead and tossed in some YouTube links to all 23 announced songs in the list below. No need to thank me, this is what I'm paid to do for you people.== TEASER ==
- Best Coast – When I’m With You
- Blur – Song 2
- The Black Keys – Next Girl
- The Boxer Rebellion – Step Out Of The Car
- Cream – Sunshine Of Your Love
- The Cribs – We Share The Same Skies
- The Cure – Boys Don’t Cry
- Jenny O – Well OK Honey
- Lynyrd Skynyrd – Sweet Home Alabama
- Nirvana – Breed
- Pixies – Where Is My Mind?
- Radiohead – High and Dry
- Red Fang – Number Thirteen
- The Rolling Stones – The Spider and the Fly
- Silversun Pickups – Panic Switch
- Soundgarden - Outshined
- Spoon – Me and The Bean
- Stone Temple Pilots – Vasoline
- Taddy Porter – Mean Bitch
- Titus Andronicus – A More Perfect Union
- White Denim – Burnished
- The White Stripes – Icky Thump
- Yellow Moon Band - Chimney
And, just for funzies, here are the six songs previously announced.