Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rockstar Games

Company »

Rockstar Games publish many original (and sometimes controversial) franchises from their various studios around the world. They are most famous for their work on the Grand Theft Auto series.

Rockstar Won't Be At E3; Game Reveal Purportedly On Hold

• 81 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
    Rockstar, the publisher behind the recently released Red Dead Redemption, and upcoming titles like Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire, is not planning to be at E3 in Los Angeles later this month; instead, it's reportedly opting to show off some of its new goods, like Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire, to press at a later date.

Max needs a bath.
    Max needs a bath.
    "In the end, we feel we simply don't have enough time to show as much as we would like in the time available," a spokesperson told CVG, adding that the two aforementioned were once slated to be shown at the event. Rockstar confirmed-confirmed their lack of a "presence" at the show to VG247 as well. 

It should be noted that Rockstar rarely goes to E3 in a public, official capacity. Their new games, however, are often shown during the event. It's weird that they even had plans to attend E3, but the rumors swirling around may be shedding a little light on that mystery.
    == TEASER == 
    Purportedly Rockstar had plans to show a title of the unannounced variety at the event, which may possibly explain why it would attend. Nuts writer Rory Buckeridge (via VG247) helped restart the long-running new game reveal rumor by tweeting that Rockstar actually "pulled" the "launch." 

As MTV Multiplayer notes in their story about all of this, at least one analyst, EEDAR's Jesse Divnich, expected a Grand Theft Auto V reveal--several months ago, that is. In a conversation with Game Informer online in December 2009, Divnich said, "I think we're going to hear about another Grand Theft Auto [at E3]. I think there won't be any playable stuff," he added, saying the reveal would amount to a teaser. At the time, he expected the next GTA to drop in 2011.

This train needs a bath, too. 
    Things have changed since Divnich originally dropped those thoughts. Max Payne 3 didn't hit as expected, and Red Dead Redemption blew our socks off. In a conversation with me this afternoon, the analyst gave me an update, stating that the possible PR from a Grand Theft Auto reveal wasn't a "necessity" for gamers to remember what Rockstar does. But it's also still possible that an announcement could be made.

"In late 2009 I assumed that Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 would be out on retail shelves by E3, and L.A. Noire would be pending release, making a Grand Theft Auto announcement expected as many would be wondering about their ‘next’ big project.  Since then the gaming landscape has changed.

"With Rockstar having two major games still in development, Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire, Rockstar is more likely to keep consumers focused on those pending releases this E3, rather than a Grand Theft Auto announcement," Divinich said. "Today, Rockstar is so much more than just the developers behind the Grand Theft Auto series; they now have several incredibly successful properties such as Red Dead Redemption, and have more in the works with L.A. Noire and The Agent. While I wouldn’t count out a Grand Theft Auto announcement, I also wouldn’t consider such PR a necessity to remind gamers of Rockstar’s existence. I think Red Dead Redemption proved to everyone that Rockstar is far from being a one-franchise publisher."

Probably wouldn't hurt. 
    Probably wouldn't hurt. 
    So where are we? Rockstar won't be attending E3 officially, and while it's still possible that a Grand Theft Auto or some other new game could be revealed at the Los Angeles-based event, it's not something Rockstar needs to do... but it would be nice.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
    Rockstar, the publisher behind the recently released Red Dead Redemption, and upcoming titles like Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire, is not planning to be at E3 in Los Angeles later this month; instead, it's reportedly opting to show off some of its new goods, like Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire, to press at a later date.

Max needs a bath.
    Max needs a bath.
    "In the end, we feel we simply don't have enough time to show as much as we would like in the time available," a spokesperson told CVG, adding that the two aforementioned were once slated to be shown at the event. Rockstar confirmed-confirmed their lack of a "presence" at the show to VG247 as well. 

It should be noted that Rockstar rarely goes to E3 in a public, official capacity. Their new games, however, are often shown during the event. It's weird that they even had plans to attend E3, but the rumors swirling around may be shedding a little light on that mystery.
    == TEASER == 
    Purportedly Rockstar had plans to show a title of the unannounced variety at the event, which may possibly explain why it would attend. Nuts writer Rory Buckeridge (via VG247) helped restart the long-running new game reveal rumor by tweeting that Rockstar actually "pulled" the "launch." 

As MTV Multiplayer notes in their story about all of this, at least one analyst, EEDAR's Jesse Divnich, expected a Grand Theft Auto V reveal--several months ago, that is. In a conversation with Game Informer online in December 2009, Divnich said, "I think we're going to hear about another Grand Theft Auto [at E3]. I think there won't be any playable stuff," he added, saying the reveal would amount to a teaser. At the time, he expected the next GTA to drop in 2011.

Things have changed since Divnich originally dropped those thoughts. Max Payne 3 didn't hit as expected, and Red Dead Redemption blew our socks off. In a conversation with me this afternoon, the analyst gave me an update, stating that the possible PR from a Grand Theft Auto reveal wasn't a "necessity" for gamers to remember what Rockstar does. But it's also still possible that an announcement could be made.

"In late 2009 I assumed that Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 would be out on retail shelves by E3, and L.A. Noire would be pending release, making a Grand Theft Auto announcement expected as many would be wondering about their ‘next’ big project.  Since then the gaming landscape has changed.

"With Rockstar having two major games still in development, Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire, Rockstar is more likely to keep consumers focused on those pending releases this E3, rather than a Grand Theft Auto announcement," Divinich said. "Today, Rockstar is so much more than just the developers behind the Grand Theft Auto series; they now have several incredibly successful properties such as Red Dead Redemption, and have more in the works with L.A. Noire and The Agent. While I wouldn’t count out a Grand Theft Auto announcement, I also wouldn’t consider such PR a necessity to remind gamers of Rockstar’s existence. I think Red Dead Redemption proved to everyone that Rockstar is far from being a one-franchise publisher."

Probably wouldn't hurt. 
    Probably wouldn't hurt. 
    So where are we? Rockstar won't be attending E3 officially, and while it's still possible that a Grand Theft Auto or some other new game could be revealed at the Los Angeles-based event, it's not something Rockstar needs to do... but it would be nice.
    BlueStriped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BlueStriped

:(

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fwylo

Isn't it history that they don't reveal at E3 anyways?

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kishan6

i think we have seen enough rockstar for about another 5 years .............. 
    im good with this

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Venatio

Of course they wont be at E3

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By digital_sin

I do not care for the direction Max Payne is headed.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

Max Payne 3 was recently released!!!???

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Rhaknar

well that blows

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gosukiller

Rockstar doesn't need E3, never did. People get hype about their games wherther they are at E3 or not (and isn't E3 expensive as hell for these companies?).

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#10  Edited By Valkyr

Not another Rage based sandbox please

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Blueman

I hope Agent shows up at Sony's conference.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12  Edited By Oni

That Max Payne 3 screenshot still depresses me. Let's hope they went radically back to the drawing board on that game

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

This E3 looks to be the same lacklusterfest. 

They're all blowing their loads way before E3 starts leaving no surprises or dropping out like Rockstar and Portal 2. 

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidS

Shitty news but an interesting read.
    lilmrpimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lilmrpimp

Oh well guess we'll have to deal with all the other games at E3

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rhaknar

techincally GTA5 can still be announced, since it would most likely be announced at either the sony or MS press conferences, in trailer form. Just because Rockstar isn't showing games at the show doesn't mean this announcement can't happen (I guess)

Avatar image for teenagejesussuperstar
    TeenageJesusSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

A+ for captioning Brad

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By captain_clayman

oh well?

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Olivaw

Aww.

Well, maybe this year they will finally reveal more about Agent, or maybe announce something new and even more different!

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brunchies

I'm not surprised at all by this since Rockstar does this almost every year, oh well E3 won't be that great anyway unless the Last Guardian shows up.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By blair
    @Dany said:
    " Max Payne 3 was recently released!!!??? "
    Yeah.  Same with L.A. Noire.  What's up with that?
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Jayzilla

i just figure if the game isn't coming out in 2010-2011 then why make an announcement? Make the announcement next year when it's relevant.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee

I could with having a new GTA to anticipate, though learning something about The Agent would be mighty sweet too.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Seppli

You smell clean.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By Jayross
    fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By fillmoejoe

I wish they'd give more info on The Agent.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Cybexx

I don't really think this is News, Rockstar has never really attended E3 and never announced anything at it. The only exception is when Microsoft paid them 50 million for the GTAIV DLC, so they were obligated to attend their Press Conference.  

Rockstar can make their announcements any time of the year and people will pay attention. This way they also don't need to divert their team to creating an E3 demo which cuts into development time of the main game.  

I personally really like Rockstar's attitude towards PR cycles around their games. They don't try to continually build up interest for their games over years, they wait till they are ready to show something and they just show enough to get you interested. They are not putting out trailers based around the marvels of their shotgun for example. GTAIV and Red Dead had longer than usual PR cycles for them because the games got delayed after they showed the first trailer, which hasn't happened to them before.

berva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28  Edited By berva

I care very much for the direction Max Payne is heading, in fact I'm quite disappointed I wont get to see it at this years E3.

Avatar image for apocalypselater
    ApocalypseLater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By ApocalypseLater

Damn. I really wanted a reveal of Agent.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Dustpan

Rockstar is too cool for E3.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By WiqidBritt

I'm pretty sure Rockstar has never officially been at E3

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

So the news is that there won't be future news? What the fuck is going on with the news on this site? 

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mijati
    @Jayross:  Yep, that's horribly worded.
    dexterslu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dexterslu

I'm shocked no one is mentioning Bully 2 that the composer of the original game leaked...

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By DukeTogo

Every time I saw Rockstar at E3, they had some section of the floor cordoned off in big trailers with banners for what they were showing, but never letting anyone outside of invited VIPs to look at it.  Probably the only time I saw Rockstar actually in a regular booth was in 96 when they were showing the first GTA.  Once GTA III became huge, they started to do E3 the way they've been doing it since, playing it really close to the chest.  This makes sense that they finally said screw it and just didn't show.

The last E3 I saw them at was when they announced The Warriors for PS2.  It was a badge of honor to be seen walking around the show floor with a Rockstar Games The Warriors swag bag.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo

Agent was announced at Sony's E3 event last year wasn't it?  My guess is we'll finally see some of that - probably at the same event.

I don't know if it makes sense to start talking about more GTA at all before Mafia 2 comes out.

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MJHAYLETT

Too Cool 4 School eh Rockstar. Hope somebody somewhere shows Agent. Just an ickle bit.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By masternater27

I just want to say that I really enjoy  the new guys following up on stories instead of just reporting them with a statement like " Rockstar wasn't available at press time" or whatever.  Following up with the analyst is great!

outerabiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By outerabiz
    @Blueman said:
    "

I hope Agent shows up at Sony's conference.

"
    yup i wanna see whats up with that as well
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FluxWaveZ

BULLY 2!  Damn...

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By c1337us

As much as I would like to consume every scrap of content I can get from E3. This is not going to make me cry into my pillow tonight as I go to sleep. I can live with this decision quite comfortabley.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By spaceturtle
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " BULLY 2!  Damn... "
    What this gentleman said
    Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent captions.

DukeT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DukeT

Hmmm... oh, wait, Rockstar is my favorite studio, and I will buy anything they release regardless of when and where they announce it. So, I couldn't give a shit about E3...

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By fjordson

Don't care a whole lot about Max Payne 3, but I'm really hoping for some kind of reveal on GTA V or some new info on Agent.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I love all this news.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mijati

I hate to criticise things like this, but ugh that first paragraph still annoys me.

"and upcoming titles like  Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire, " could be removed completely from the first paragraph as both those titles are mentioned later on in the same sentence.

No offence to the new guys posting the news here, there's just something about all these news articles that makes this site lose it's identity. I never came to this site for news and still don't, however I did enjoy reading the Giant Bomb Staff's view on the news and things they found wanting to post. There's god knows how many gaming news sites that report on this stuff all the time and all this news being posted here as well just gets rid of the unique feel this site had.

Maybe I'm the only one that has these views, but these articles are almost putting me off the site completely for everything other than the Quicklooks and Bombcast.

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By AllanIceman

RockStar never shows anything at Electronic Three. Other that at the press events and maybe a Decorated bus or something.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By Milkman

Rockstar has never really attended E3 so this isn't all that big of a deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.