Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rogue Legacy

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 27, 2013

A "genealogical rouge-lite" that combines elements from "Metroidvania" platformers and roguelike games. Explore the ever-shifting rooms of Castle Hamson as a lineage of knights, with each ancestor's death potentially improving their offspring's chance for success!

Did you ever get legitimately good at Rogue Legacy?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Did you ever get legitimately good at Rogue Legacy? (156 votes)

Yep, I was leapin' all over the place, never taking hits against regular enemies or bosses 17%
    I grinded it out like a chump until my stats were god-like, also I abused HP-upon-enemy-kill runes 43%
    Nonexistent 3rd strategy that I refuse to acknowledge 15%
    Show results 25%

Because man, I'm trying that new free content that was patched into the game somewhat recently, and wow, they really think you are pretty good at that game, and I just don't think anyone was playing this game like Mega Man where eventually you know enemy/boss movement so well that you never take a hit. Sure, I took way fewer hits after like 15-20 hours, but man, some of these new boss challenges are totally fucked.

I'm looking at you, Alexander, and your fucking spike room where the game only gives me like 250 HP and expects me to be a teleport savant.

• 
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Yeah I beat the whole game without buying a single upgrade, though mainly just to have an excuse to play the game for longer. For most its a 15 hour experience but I managed to turn it into 40. Last boss is still one of the best in any platformer ever. Haven't gotten around to trying the new stuff yet. Power is out.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By abendlaender

I got pretty good at the game. I was at like NG+7 when I stopped

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I mostly hit my head up a brick wall until it broke.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I suppose I abused the Chakram Time Lag move...

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I just bought and started playing today (steam sale). I'm pretty terrible, but I am seeing progress. Hard to tell how much of that is upgrades, and how much of it is me getting actually better at it. That's probably my only complaint with the game so far. It's a lot of fun, and I'm totally hooked.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ervonymous

The persistent upgrades made me not really give a shit about perfecting my gameplay, after a point I always went with the tankiest class available and brute forced my way through. It worked wonders until I got to the last boss and only then did I really start enjoying the game, 11 hours in. I guess I robbed myself of a better experience but most of the encounters and enemies were so basic I didn't feel compelled to put in that much effort.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching someone beat the game in 14 minutes, it became a lot harder to think of myself as good at it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

I grinded until I decided that the game was too grindy and then stopped playing.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HerbieBug

Hell no.

I played until I couldn't stand I couldn't stands no mores. Then I rage quit. :D

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By YI_Orange

I think I became ok at it. I never cracked into NG+ but my favorite class was the Hokage so even with some HP on kill I couldn't afford to just get hit a bunch.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BisonHero

@ervonymous said:

The persistent upgrades made me not really give a shit about perfecting my gameplay

Pretty much this for me. I certainly got better and was taking less hits, but I also absolutely was not playing the game like Spelunky where "oops, took 3 hits now I'm dead". I poured money into HP and armour, and was probably "overleveled" for certain content, much in the way that Vinny is quite overleveled for Dark Souls. I beat the original game and two new game pluses, and now that I'm starting my third new game plus, the rooms aren't even that bad (maybe they made them more reasonable in the recent patch?). I've maxed everything and have all the equipment.

But hoooo boy, those new bosses. For those that don't know, if you've killed a boss once, later there is a way to fight a harder version of that boss, where you're in a weird (bullshit) nonstandard room for that boss, the boss generally has more health, and also once you enter the boss room you must use a prefab character the game provides you with that is almost certainly worse than the one you're actually using (the characters vary significantly from boss to boss).

Seriously, Alexander+ seems flat-out impossible, unless you are the maker of the game or someone who playtested it for hundreds and hundreds of hours. You have 250 HP, touching Alexander or his projectiles is like 67 dmg (4-hit death), and while you have HP regain, it's only 4 HP per kill. I could totally do that on Alexander's normal stage, honestly, but the custom stage for Alexander+ is complete bullshit cramped garbage.

So far, I'm not really a fan of how the additional content goes against the very basic concept of the game where you get to use your own character whose family line you have gradually improved. Herodotus+ was kind of amusing, but I feel like the game controls weren't really designed for it and it was a really awkward fight.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used the third strategy, which was to skill everything wrong and then reach a point where I could never grind enough money per life to buy any more upgrades. Then I quit.

I never got legitimately good. But I never got legitimately bad. I stayed legitimately awful.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Up until NG+5 or so, I was legitimately good at the game. After that, the strategy became avoiding all enemies and doing death runs to teleporters, then nuking bosses.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By Danteveli

I used the third strategy, which was to skill everything wrong and then reach a point where I could never grind enough money per life to buy any more upgrades. Then I quit.

I never got legitimately good. But I never got legitimately bad. I stayed legitimately awful.

Same for me. I had really good play on older pc but forgot bring saves to the new one and my current state is terrible.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I certainly got better and was taking less hits, but I also absolutely was not playing the game like Spelunky where "oops, took 3 hits now I'm dead".

Yup. I ended up playing it more like Super Meat Boy where I'd always run at full speed with no regard for dear life, with three dash runes and triple jump.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I still haven't been able to get past the forest area.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By jiggajoe14

I've beaten two bosses but the constant repetition just got to me and I have lost the urge to finish the game (I can never get enough gold for upgrades for stuff I want anymore).

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#18 riostarwind  Moderator

I grinded my way all the way to the end of the game. I obviously got better at the game but I don't think I would have been able to beat it without grinding out some money along the way.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I mostly hit my head up a brick wall until it broke.

Yeah.... This.

I haven't gotten past the Maya, but basically I grinded through the environment by relying pretty much exclusively on Lich Kings with Crow Storm or Barbarian Kings (because they can take so many hits it's not even funny). Everyone else is too squishy and I make too many mistakes.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never even finished it, but when I was playing it, I just grinded until I could beat each boss.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Lich King is incredible once you're strong enough to clear 2-3 wings of the dungeon or so, converting your HP to mana when it tops out. I managed to beat the third boss when I was maybe not supposed to by building a Lich King up through three wings and using Flame Barrier, just walking a few steps ahead of Ponce de Leon.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Grillbar

i banged my head against the wall until i got to a certain lvl and then basically sprinted thought 3 bosses in one run

im not saying im good, i just needed enough stats/armor/runes.
    so after clearing the first boss, (start place) and grinding a little learning the different places i ran though the second boss (right) third (top) and then the forth boss (bottom) clearing all the rooms
    making sure to save the statues at each level change, the ones with mana and health so i could run back to them in case i fucked up

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse said:

Lich King is incredible once you're strong enough to clear 2-3 wings of the dungeon or so, converting your HP to mana when it tops out. I managed to beat the third boss when I was maybe not supposed to by building a Lich King up through three wings and using Flame Barrier, just walking a few steps ahead of Ponce de Leon.

Oh yeah, can't tell you how many bosses I cheesed with flame shield, on either a lich king or a spell sword. The only boss I didn't do that to on my first run was Khidr (the giant eyeball). I got a barbarian king with gigantism, so the reach on his slash was much taller, so all I had to do was stand kinda near Khidr and keep mashing attack. My HP lasted long than his.

Anyway, you should check out the new bosses. Maybe? They honestly feel like the devs punishing everyone for being so lazy at the game.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I can't beat 10000000 without a lot of upgrades. No reason why I should be able to beat Rogue Legacy without a ton of upgrades. Honestly it's some column A and some column B. It definitely gets easier with every upgrade but you also get better over time. I had runs in New Game+ where I basically cleared out the whole map. And then I decided to go ahead and beat the last bosses and move on to New Game++. And suddenly it's hard as hell again. Still, it's easy to make enough money atleast a single upgrade without dying. And I feel like if I wasn't using skill I'd be dying in the first room.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I am terrible at it. I'm just grinding away until I get powerful enough that nothing hurts me anymore. I still have not beaten one boss. :(

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BisonHero

@coafi said:

No, I am terrible at it. I'm just grinding away until I get powerful enough that nothing hurts me anymore. I still have not beaten one boss. :(

Don't let it get ya down, dawg. Eventually you'll get that one character who has a pretty sweet spell like flame shield, or barring that, a barbarian king or hokage are probably your next best bet, and you'll just obliterate like 2 or 3 bosses in one go. But yeah, it takes a fair amount of stats.

If you want to practice on the bosses, you could always pay the architect to lock down the castle and keep teleporting to the same boss room over and over, but it's almost more important to just keep grinding out money instead. If you really want you can learn how to dodge the boss perfectly and beat it at a low level, but it's far less frustrating if you just get some more upgrades instead.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat the game. How I did that sits in my memory like a blur, incomprehensible yet I can't question the results. That's all I care about, and all anyone needs to know. I've done some shit, man, and I don't wanna go back there without needing to.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By captain_max707

I worked my way through to the end, but the final boss was too hard for me.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having just maxed out all my stats and gotten all the runes and equipment, I can safely say that I'm not that good at the game. The upside is that now I really don't have to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.