Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rogue Legacy

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 27, 2013

A "genealogical rouge-lite" that combines elements from "Metroidvania" platformers and roguelike games. Explore the ever-shifting rooms of Castle Hamson as a lineage of knights, with each ancestor's death potentially improving their offspring's chance for success!

Rogue Legacy comes to PS4, PS3 & PS Vita on July 30

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Rogue Legacy will launch for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita on July 30, Sony and Cellar Door Games have announced.

The port to the PlayStation platforms has been handled almost entirely by Abstraction Games.

Rogue Legacy is a rogue-lite in which players must conquer a magical castle that is constantly changing. Each time the player dies the character's child takes over – each with his or her own unique genetic traits. All money earned is passed down through the generations.

The game supports Cross Buy (buy once and play on all three systems), Cross Save, and features all the content from the PC version including all bonus zones, traits, and boss remixes.

Source: EU PS Blog , Videogamer

Playing this game on the can will be a delight!

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Definitely looking forward to this on the vita.

I just wish they would have listed a price! I'm guessing $15?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: Probably. We might get Plus discount though.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Vita/PS3 version will probably be the one that gets me to finally goddamn buy this game. It's completely irrational but I just prefer playing this sort of game on a nice comfortable sofa or something. I feel weird sitting at my desk playing Spelunky and other games like it.

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I bought this game on PC and played it obsessively the first week. I beat it so bad it was unrecognizable at the end and couldn't remember it's own name. I'm so buying this.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really liked that game, but man, the end game content that unlocks harder boss fights is completely savage. Best of luck with that.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#7  Edited By MightyDuck

@jimmyfenix: Good point, forgot about that.

Here's hoping!

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I held off buying this on Steam to get this version. Can't wait!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Oh, thank god. I thought this day would never come.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RonGalaxy

I currently have 10 bucks in my ps wallet, so I really hope this gets a ps plus discount of some sort. I think Fez was like 9.79 for ps plus members when it released.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FINALLY. I feel like I've been waiting forever for this on Vita.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: On reddit Cellardoorgames said this

We're doing special stuff with Sony so we can't announce just yet I think. :X

Who knows what that means. Maybe the game will debut as a plus title?

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Excellent news. Can't wait to turn my PS4 and vita into a roguelike machine, with this and Issac: Rebirth, Spelunky and Nuclear Throne all coming out hopefully by the end of the year. Oh boy!!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RISK OF RAIN :(((((((

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already own this on Pc, but I will happily throw down another 15 bucks for a copy for my Vita. Hell yes.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I think this game is absolutely vita material.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'll probably get this just to have something to play on my PS4.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Been waiting for this! Eager to play more of Rogue Legacy, especially since I never finished it on PC, but was waiting on this version to do so. It took them A LOT longer than I would have expected to port it over.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Feel like I've been waiting forever for this to come to Sony platforms, I'm very excited to finally play it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just downloaded it. Can't stop playing.

Between this and Spelunky, oh god.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer

Hm was gonna preorder it after I put the kids to bed but I guess between then and now it's come out even though it isn't Tuesday yet? Guess I won't be getting this game after all.

Or Hohokum.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Fantastic game. But that one trophy...beat the game dying less than 15 times and don't use the architect. Now I love a challenge, but that's just insane

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Seems fun, might have too much RPG-ish stuff going on for me to really dig into it though. I had one good run where I made about 500 gold but everything else has been pittances so far, I'm on my 13th hero and I might've JUST discovered a boss, which pooped on my chest (Botis?).

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By jadegl

It's great but the text is soooo small on the Vita. I was playing it last night for the first time and I was having a hard time reading the traits of the children. So I picked one and accidentally got the trait that makes magic shoot out from the opposite side. My barbarian was pooping saw blades.... :(

But other than that, and my eyesight isn't prefect to begin with so ymmv, it's a great port. I'm having fun with it. And, since my save disappeared on my PC version of the game (URRRGGGGG, I was on new game+) this will be where I play it from now on.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't know that I'll be playing this. I kinda want to, but....eh, I dunno. Maybe at some point in the future.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By csl316

Game's a lot of fun. Beat 3 bosses in 3 hours. Is it just the four bosses and a quick trek to the final boss? Or is it like a whole new area (I'm thinking Wiley's Castle or something like that).

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I suck so bad at this game. I enjoy it. But man do I suck.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By Nodima

Been through about 30-40 characters, still haven't beaten a boss and when I stumble onto them I generally have half my health or less and then can barely put a dent in them damage wise anyway.

Had some really good 900 gold runs though.

I'm probably playing it wrong by buying health whenever I can but there are still those turns where I die two minutes after I start so it's all I can think to do. Plus I've only found one sword upgrade.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Charon. Other than that great game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Ever find out what this meant?

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a great game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got to the last boss with the Mario Party Party going. I kept looking up and dying when yelling happened.

Hopefully tonight will be more successful, free of dumb distractions!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Game's a lot of fun. Beat 3 bosses in 3 hours. Is it just the four bosses and a quick trek to the final boss? Or is it like a whole new area (I'm thinking Wiley's Castle or something like that).

The game is pretty much the 4 bosses, then the final boss. NG+ if you want to keep going, but it's just higher level enemies, and the bosses are actually a lot easier since you're wicked overleveled. On NG+ (or maybe just once you beat the boss normally?) there are tokens you can get from the statues that let you fight a bonus version of each of the 4 bosses, some of which are extremely difficult. At least, that's what I know about the content in the PC version. Not sure if the version on Sony platforms has added anything.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professoress said:
    @jimmyfenix said:

Ever find out what this meant?

That it was part of the Play 2014 thing? http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/22/ps-store-play-2014-4-new-games-big-discounts/

I think it had some extra stuff on the PS version. Like more rooms or something. And it had all the extra content the PC version got for free.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone playing the playstation version experience the following things?

• When you restart the game it resets some of your option stuff. Like setting the pogo move to be double tap down. Everytime I start the game it resets it (might have to do with cross play)
    • The huge picture frames you see in some rooms are supposed to allow you to interact with them when you push up. This does not work at all.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• When you restart the game it resets some of your option stuff. Like setting the pogo move to be double tap down. Everytime I start the game it resets it (might have to do with cross play)
    • The huge picture frames you see in some rooms are supposed to allow you to interact with them when you push up. This does not work at all.

I noticed that second one on Vita (also, I didn't know you could set the downstrike to double tap down... I might have to try that).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

The game is pretty much the 4 bosses, then the final boss. NG+ if you want to keep going, but it's just higher level enemies, and the bosses are actually a lot easier since you're wicked overleveled. On NG+ (or maybe just once you beat the boss normally?) there are tokens you can get from the statues that let you fight a bonus version of each of the 4 bosses, some of which are extremely difficult. At least, that's what I know about the content in the PC version. Not sure if the version on Sony platforms has added anything.

Seems like it's NG+.

Just beat the game after 7 hours and, oh hey, level 115 guys in the second room!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy said:

I noticed that second one on Vita (also, I didn't know you could set the downstrike to double tap down... I might have to try that).

It makes pogoing infinitely easier.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadegl: I'm having the same problem with the Vita version. The text is too small on the character select screen and some other spots to read comfortably. Its a problem lots of games seem to have though, they're going for smaller text, minimalistic UIs etc.

I'm really enjoying having this on the Vita and PS4. I just moved to a new place and have to take a bus to work now so it's absolutely great that I can play it at home on my console, download the save file to my Vita to play on the bus trips and then upload it back to my console when I get home to continue were I left off.

Goldone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought you had to attack those huge picture frames to get a chest to appear? Or are there different types of large picture frame?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got the game and been really enjoying it, even though I completely suck at it. One thing I noticed though is your choice of new character sometimes end up empty, is that some sort of bug or is the family tree restarting? Everything else is normal but once in a while I basically just get only to pick a blank slate/no portrait or info.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RonGalaxy

@goldone said:

@rongalaxy said:

I thought you had to attack those huge picture frames to get a chest to appear? Or are there different types of large picture frame?

Ive done everything around them. Press up. Jump on them. Attack them. Sometimes mimic versions of the big picture frames appear, but that's it. From what I understand when you come across a room with a big picture frame in it, you press up and a text dev diary type thing appears and talks about some of their previous games/maybe some other stuff. And it doesn't do that, so... It must be a glitch?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving the game. Beat the first boss the other day while on the train to work. I also managed to get 3,000 coins in one run on the train that day. I felt like a king! Hokage is the best class by the way. I didn't know I would actually like the game or not. Just bought it from hearing all the praise for it last year. My only gripe is that it's kind of hard to stab down after jumping if you're using the analog stick on the Dualshock 4.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: Hokage will feel like the best class right up until the point when you dump thousands of gold into the critical chance and critical damage stats. But yeah, it's a super useful class in "early" and "mid" game, when you haven't filled out as much of the skill tree.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
    TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I am really bad at this game. Like, Jeff Green playing Dark Souls bad.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got to the final boss this morning on the way to work. Got him down to about 25% on the first try, so unless he has a second form he seems pretty easy. I found the Hokage class to be really useful but for the last two bosses I found that just having higher HP worked out more useful than having high damage, so Paladins and Barbarian Kings/Queens were the classes I killed those bosses with.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: Hokage will feel like the best class right up until the point when you dump thousands of gold into the critical chance and critical damage stats. But yeah, it's a super useful class in "early" and "mid" game, when you haven't filled out as much of the skill tree.

Yeah, I figured that today. Dude has low health so you're killed pretty easily if you don't have good reflexes. This game is going to take me forever to finish.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BisonHero

@thebluthcompany said:

I am really bad at this game. Like, Jeff Green playing Dark Souls bad.

At least Dark Souls has Estus Flasks! Rogue Legacy is legitimately pretty unforgiving in that once you take damage, you took some fucking damage (which btw was probably a good sixth of your total HP pool, because almost nothing in the game does like 1 or 2 damage). And then finding meat to restore your health is actually incredibly rare. I guess like Spelunky, you're not going to take damage on 90% of enemies, but when you do take damage, it really sucks because restoring HP is a huge hassle. Also, Charon is a real asshole.

So for what it's worth, keep at it, and eventually you'll get some health restoration runes (vampirism), which I found helped a lot. There's also an early set of gear that basically grants vampirism as well; most of them have really severe tradeoffs (like really crippling your attack or max HP), but I seem to remember the Blood Cape, I think, is basically just a cape with the vampirism effect. I think it's super heavy so you'll have to level up your carrying capacity a bit, but it doesn't fuck over any of your actual combat stats.

And then the bosses are all over the place. The first one is in a small room and has a bunch of attack patterns, which are kinda only avoidable if you have multiple air jump and air dash runes equipped, so most people just tank the damage with a barbarian king/queen. The 2nd and 3rd are in much larger rooms, so it's more about kiting the boss around and just having good damage output so the boss doesn't take forever. And then the 4th boss can get really out of hand unless you have pretty high damage output or a really good spell. The bosses kinda feel like each one came from a different SNES game than the previous one, given the varying boss room sizes and the different boss attack styles that ask for pretty different fighting styles. It's weird.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.