Best invention?

#1 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

People often talk about things like "the best thing since sliced bread", or "as useful as duct tape". 
 
Well, what about goin' old school with the original all-purpose tool, rope? Where's the respect? 
 
Seriously. I mean, you can tie things up with it. You can light a fire with it. You can kill people like a bajillion ways with it. You can eat some of it (see Nerds Rope). You can rappel with it. You can tie gags with it to shut people up. You can use it to escape whatever prison/tower on a cliff on the edge of the ocean you're stuck in. You can have a war with it. You can make the last-second jump to the waiting helicopter with it, and get out of the gulag just before it explodes with it. 
 
So if you like rope, tell why you rep here. 
 
And if you don't, tell why you hate (but be prepared for the shitstorm).

#2 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

So yeah, any mods mind deleting this particular thread, since I apparently DPed it?

#3 Posted by Vinny_Says (5712 posts) -

why is there a page for rope?

#4 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Why is there NOT a page for semen?

#5 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

meh i think sliced bread wins.  u can throw it at people.  i mean if some random dude just came up to me and gave me a piece of bread i would have a lot of respect for him

#6 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: You can take rope, make it into a lasso, and not only throw it at someone, but you can then catch them with it and drag them back. The only reason you wouldn't respect someone for giving you rope is because rope is one of the most ubiquitous things in the world. Which says a lot about rope, and about how much better than sliced bread it is. Rope is the OG multi-tool.
#7 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2994 posts) -

god invented rope

#8 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -
@VisariLoyalist said:
" god invented rope "
Why didn't the devil destroy rope?
#9 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@WickedFather said:
" @VisariLoyalist said:
" god invented rope "
Why didn't the devil destroy rope? "
It's too pure of heart.
#10 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -
@example1013 said:
" @WickedFather said:
" @VisariLoyalist said:
" god invented rope "
Why didn't the devil destroy rope? "
It's too pure of heart. "
I agree.  And kids, if you're going to try and tie an Evenk hitch then once in a while try it from the other direction.  You'll find an almost simpler way of tying the knot with an upward twist, taking the standing end around and pulling a loop through that gives you a better understanding of its construction and actually produces a cleaner knot.  Stay forest safe.
#11 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@WickedFather said:
" @example1013 said:
" @WickedFather said:
" @VisariLoyalist said:
" god invented rope "
Why didn't the devil destroy rope? "
It's too pure of heart. "
I agree.  And kids, if you're going to try and tie an Evenk hitch then once in a while try it from the other direction.  You'll find an almost simpler way of tying the knot with an upward twist, taking the standing end around and pulling a loop through that gives you a better understanding of its construction and actually produces a cleaner knot.  Stay forest safe. "
Also, when you're making a multi-overhand knot, don't put 8 loops in it, or you can be arrested for a hate crime in certain states, as that's considered a noose.
#12 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Rope is useful but I think knives may be even more useful. 
Also, sliced bread is pretty awesome.

#13 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@G3RHRT: small enough rope can cut like a knife.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.