Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rule of Rose

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 12, 2006

Rule of Rose is a survival horror game set in 1930s England aboard an abandoned zeppelin. It is known for its controversial content, such as abusive violence and implied sexual themes towards its underage cast of characters.

Rule of Rose the real scariest game ever.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JZ

I was watching the TBFP shitstorm of scariness again and they they were playing Rule of Rose. I thought "hey isn't that the game vinny always talks about?" Half an hour later oh my god that was the most horrifying thing ever!

Rule of Rose is the most unsettling, horrifying, creepy ass thing I've ever seen. Go watch video of this game now, because fuck me am I....disturbed after seeing that.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By stryker1121

I saw a YouTube video of the "insect humiliation" scene and found it disturbing. Not terribly interested in digging deeper tbh.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had this one burning in my backlog for way too long, I swear one day I will dive into it and see what all the fuss is about.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CreepingDeath0

I saw a YouTube video of the "insect humiliation" scene and found it disturbing. Not terribly interested in digging deeper tbh.

You had me curious so I looked it up on YouTube. That's meant to be one of the creepiest moments in the game? Really? I found it really tame.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rule of Rose would be scarier if everything about the gameplay wasn't completely and utterly broken. It sort of falls into the same camp as Homefront where the underlying concepts are solid and potentially amazing but the execution is bungled. Fuck Homefront.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: You had me curious enough to google around and the game from what I've read is thought to have some eyebrow-raising elements built around crap gameplay. Here's an old IGN review that talks about some of the blowback the game got in the UK. @creepingdeath0 Just watched that damn onion bag scene again and OK, not as creepy as i remember, but still pretty bizarre and unsettling. Horses for courses and all that..

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JZ
    psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Fatal Frame series still scarier.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't remember that game very well but I do remember being more frustrated than scared.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

The only thing I remember about that game is people going nuts that there is some rape scene or something in it? I dunno never played it always heard people going on about how messed up it is though.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#12 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I played through and beat Rule of Rose when it came out, don't remember much other than the controls not being good and the dog.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stryker1121 said:

You had me curious so I looked it up on YouTube. That's meant to be one of the creepiest moments in the game? Really? I found it really tame.

Yeah, the OP had me thinking I need to check this out. I looked up the video and felt the same thing, it's really tame for what is supposedly one of the creepiest moments.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only reason I even know RoR exist is because of the controversy upon release, it wasn't banned anywhere but was never released in the UK and New Zealand.

The explored themes are adult and interesting but the gameplay looks bad and used PAL copies go for £100.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Any time I've ever heard people talk about it, it sounded creepy as hell. I don't know if it holds up though. Never played it. I think it'd be interesting to see Patrick try it out on Spookin' with Scoops.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've also been following the TBF horror games series, and yeah, everything about this game looked crazy unsettling.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Reading the Controversy section in Wikipedia is pretty hilarious:

On November 2006, three French deputies introduced a bill asking for the game to be banned for sale, arguing that the goal of the game was to "rape, beat up and kill a little girl", and that if nothing was done, video-game could become an "uncontrollable factor of decadent violence in our society."

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#18  Edited By BeachThunder

I don't think I've ever heard of this game, but that is a nice looking cover.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.