Post in this thread if you played Runescape back in middle school

#1 Edited by DriveupLife (909 posts) -

I played runescape avidly from 6th grade to 8th grade. That was 2001 - 2003. It was in 2D, and it was Fucking. Incredible. at the time. It was my first ever experience with an MMO on the internet, and I won't forget those first feelings of exploration and discovery anytime soon.

Post if you were also that kid that flipped out when he beat the dragon on that damn island with that fire resistant shield that was worthless/priceless, with that rune armor, except you couldn't equip rune plate until you beat the dragon, but still chilled in the champions guild because you had enough quest points.

#2 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

i put a lot of time and money into that game. not too proud of that >_>

#3 Edited by MattyFTM (14352 posts) -

I played it in my early teens. Ages 12-15ish. I don't know where that fits into the US school system, though.

I never got to any of the insane levels in runescape but I played it a fair bit and really enjoyed it as a kid. 
#4 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

hell yeah, that game was the shit. I never payed, but I had a lot of fun. I kinda lost interest once they went 3d and screwed up the wilderness. PKing was fun!

#5 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

Of course I did. Pretty much all of my friends did too. Never payed for it, though.

#6 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

Played some Runescape in High School.

Played a shit ton of Tibia back then too.
#7 Posted by Thoseposers (781 posts) -

Ew runescape <_<

#8 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -

Yep. I remember I played it in 6th and 7th grade. I still have an account but I stopped playing. I think I had like, 40,000 gold on it just sitting there.

#9 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

I played it for a little bit.  Never got too deep into it.

#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11501 posts) -

Nope. And I even remember mocking the kids who played it in Middle School. I guess my non-interest in MMOs started at an early age.

#11 Posted by Tonic7 (238 posts) -

I would like to say that having worked in a children's library over the past summer (they have a lot of PCs that the kids can use for 2 hours per day), Runescape is alive and well. Though I never played it, the kids at the library seem to love that play for free type of model.

#12 Posted by President_Barackbar (3440 posts) -

I played it a few times, but I was never heavily into it.

#13 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Damn right I did, damn fun game.  I actually went on a binge of it last winter.  Actually level 115ish.  Honestly, if not for Runescape, I might not be nearly as much of a gaming nerd as I am now.  I played games pretty often before Runescape, but Runescape is what really sparked my interest in gaming as being my primary hobby.  Definitely what got me into online games.  I think I started playing when I was 9, almost 10, which would be the beginning of 2003.

#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Yeah, I played it. But not for very long at all. For me, it was mostly the horrible shit that is Adventure Quest and MapleStory that made for most of my online gaming back then.

#15 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

For about an hour. That hour has remained with me for the rest of my life in the form of a complete indifference towards MMOs.

#16 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Yeah... I got into it for quite a while.

#17 Posted by bongoboy (105 posts) -

I totally played everyday like 5th to early 7th grade. Those were the days...

#18 Posted by _Horde (837 posts) -

I sure did!

#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
#20 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

I played it for a bit in middle school. Though Maple Story was, where its at.

#21 Posted by supermike6 (3540 posts) -

4th grade I played this game like a motherfucker. 4th grade also happened to be the worst year of my life. Coincidence? Probably.

#22 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

My friends were all into it back in the 5th or 6th grade but I don't think I ever made an account. I don't think my computer was able to run it, as pathetic as that sounds. 

#23 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Yep I played it from 6th to 8th grade, it was the first MMO I played as well.

#24 Posted by tracerace11 (288 posts) -

I put so much time into this game when it first released. I loved the special events, picking up a party hat, and holding it for years until I sold it for a crap ton of money. I even remember the 3 CDs I had in the CD player that I would listen to while playing. Good times.

#25 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

When I was about 12-14 or maybe even 15 I played the shit out of Runescape. Then I picked up WoW a few month before Burning Crusade came out and never went back.

#26 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I played when i was around 13. Never put any money into it though. I remember having fun.

#27 Posted by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

I played it around the 12 13 age and quite enjoyed it for a while except for when I died. Then I think I got WoW for like two weeks and even though I disliked it I couldnt go back after that.

#28 Posted by Dauragon (554 posts) -

I remember when they did the "huge" graphical update. It was pretty cute how excited I was that my guy was now in fake java 3d instead of a 2d sprite.

#29 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

Hell yeah I did, I was awesome at it. That is all. For the time, I just spent so much time farming rare items and selling them for huge profits in some park somewhere was hella fun when I was like 12 years old.

#30 Posted by MikkaQ (10270 posts) -

I played for a week around middle school becuse others were trying it. I found it awful then and it's probably awful tofay.

#31 Posted by predator (350 posts) -

I think I got up to level 12 or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.