Runesape - 10th Aniversary

#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Runescape has been going on for 10 years...Dude thats just wow, I know nobody admits to likeing Runescape, but pay respects to the game that we have all played at one point in our life :D
#2 Edited by JJWeatherman (14552 posts) -
@Hizang said:

"  I know nobody admits to likeing Runescape,"

Maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe Runescape is a bad game. 

I do admit that I've played it though. It was for a couple of days with a friend that was way into it. I can safely say that I never got anywhere near "into it".
#3 Posted by SoylentGreen (254 posts) -

Fun fact for the day: I nearly paid for a Runescape membership, years ago.

I bought Guild Wars instead. Hooray for informed consumer decisions!

#4 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
"@Hizang said:

Maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe Runescape is a bad game.  I do admit that I've played it though. It was for a couple of days with a friend that was way into it. I can safely say that I never got anywhere near "into it". "

You seem to forget, its been going strong for 10 years and only becoming stronger
#5 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

Runescape was fun.

#6 Posted by Skytylz (4023 posts) -

The players just voted for free trade and the old wildy to come back, so I might play again for a bit.

#7 Posted by CommodoreGroovy (548 posts) -

Runescape: the safe haven for all middle school kids with a shitty computer. 

#8 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

I played for like four years before quitting. Good job Jagex I guess.

#9 Posted by Khann (2761 posts) -

Yeah I got right in to it for a few years about 7 years ago.

#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11413 posts) -
@CommodoreGroovy said:
" Runescape: the safe haven for all middle school kids with a shitty computer.  "
This. Basically, it's My First MMO before stuff like Free Realms and all that other free-to-play nonsense came around. Never bothered to play it myself, as the idea of interacting with other people terrified my 13 year old self (and still kind of terrifies me now, although for different reasons). I was into a lot of older CRPGs around that time, Baldur's Gate 2, Might and Magic VI, etc etc

Frankly, I wish I had the attention span from those days now. Would help me blog about a lot more games if I could be bothered to stick to them. I'm more than halfway through Icewind Dale, but I haven't touched it in weeks. Bleh.
#11 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Ive gone on and off since its release, had some good memories, it's messed up now, you cant kill people in wildy :(
#12 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

i played when it first started when i was an impressionable young retard. never again.

#13 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...shit as old as EverQuest now.  :|

#14 Posted by liako21 (519 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" @CommodoreGroovy said:
" Runescape: the safe haven for all middle school kids with a shitty computer.  "
 I'm more than halfway through Icewind Dale, but I haven't touched it in weeks. Bleh. "

I remember sneakily playing runescape in computer lab when i should have been paying attention. 

off topic. I too have been playing icewind dale and cannot pick up and finish it for the life of me.
#15 Posted by ZombiePie (5556 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" ...shit as old as EverQuest now.  :| "
Worth noting that Wikipedia is also celebrating their tenth anniversary.
#16 Posted by supermike6 (3530 posts) -

Dude I played Runescape so hard in Grade 4. That was awesome. Never got past level 68 even though I put a shit ton of time into that game. I don't think I was very good at it.

#17 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

Played it for a bit, it was okay.

#18 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

My Laptop couldn't run WOW so this is all I had
#19 Posted by Pazy (2559 posts) -

I remember playing Runescape for a while in school and I had fun. It was never a thing that I was super addicted to but its hard not to respect it for putting an MMO inside a browser window 10 years ago, and it did it with a realtime 3d world instead of the turn-based menu's most "browser-based MMO's" use.

#20 Edited by JJWeatherman (14552 posts) -
@Hizang said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

"@Hizang said:

Maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe Runescape is a bad game.  I do admit that I've played it though. It was for a couple of days with a friend that was way into it. I can safely say that I never got anywhere near "into it". "
You seem to forget, its been going strong for 10 years and only becoming stronger "
orly? Where are your graphs and fancy trend tables showing that this is indeed a growing phenomenon? I will refuse to believe your claims until I see some hard evidence. 

You do know the general demographic that plays this though, right?
#21 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Starte out small, only gotton bigger and more proffessional, which can only be done by money, which subscribers pay, therefore its popular!
#22 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Runescape has been around longer than WoW and has the honor of being an MMO breed all to its own. It's not a WoW or Guild Wars clone like 95% of all MMO's being released nowadays; it has a unique art style, a superior quest system and extremely dedicated community support amongst other things. People that would call it a bad game or consider it "that kiddy game with the bad graphics" are clearly familiar neither with it or the MMO genre. 

#23 Edited by Soap (3559 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" ...shit as old as EverQuest now.  :| "

Worth noting that Wikipedia is also celebrating their tenth anniversary. "
Coincidence? I think not. 

Also, I just checked up on Runescape now and it looks a lot different to how I remember it. Last time I saw it it looked like this. 

Oooooold School..... but not the good type. 
#24 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Runescape classic right there
#25 Posted by damswedon (3173 posts) -

Runescape was one of the first places I started using the damswedon name.

#26 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Shit, I remember I was a Member in Runescape when I was in Grade 5. Then I got Guild Wars. That was the end of it.

#27 Posted by pantzing_nome (580 posts) -

I have some good memories of playing rune scape back in elementary school. Any one up for start a Giant Bomb Clan in Rune Scape?

#28 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

runescape was the shit 

#29 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Eh I played it back in the day and was a paid member. All my friends played from school at the time so I had a lot of fun with it. Haven't been to the site in years but guess I'm happy its still around, some of the quests were actually quite good.

#30 Posted by Mijati (875 posts) -
@Geno said:
" Runescape has been around longer than WoW and has the honor of being an MMO breed all to its own. It's not a WoW or Guild Wars clone like 95% of all MMO's being released nowadays; it has a unique art style, a superior quest system and extremely dedicated community support amongst other things. People that would call it a bad game or consider it "that kiddy game with the bad graphics" are clearly familiar neither with it or the MMO genre.  "
This is an awesome post. The number of misconceptions about this game is amazing. It's a shame it has the bad reputation it has for no reason at all, if more people gave it a chance then it'd be a lot bigger. Although being the 2nd biggest MMORPG behind only WoW is a huge accomplishment and I expect that to only increase when Jagex release more games such as Stellar Dawn. Hopefully Jagex start getting the recognition and publicity they deserve. 
An MMO going on for 10 years with very little advertising? It's simply amazing.
#31 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

man runescape, good times.........................wait what am I saying fuck that shit, 99 woodcutting got me know where besides cutting better tress.

#32 Posted by natetodamax (19164 posts) -

I was way into Runescape with a friend many many years ago. Got to level 38 with my main before giving the account away to some random dude I didn't know and never playing it again.

#33 Posted by Mikemcn (6936 posts) -

Runescape was a ton of fun even though it took me to a dark place. 

#34 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Runescape is fun if you are playing with friends.

Until it isn't.
#35 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

My wife was in the hospital and they had these computers set up for anyone that cared to use them. This kid was playing Runescape like mad on it. He kept looking around as if someone was watching. Wasn't sure why he was paranoid, but all I know is that I couldn't connect to Giant Bomb next to him. I guess Giant Bomb isn't safe compared to Runescape.

#36 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2375 posts) -

It's not a well designed game and highly grind happy but hey it's free.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.