Runescape now has over 200 million accounts.

#1 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Jagex reccently announced that there MMO has 200 million accounts, they released in a press release the following.

"if RuneScape were a country it would be the 5th largest population in the world."

Now I haven't played Runescape in a while and I bet that a lot of those accounts are inactive, but even so thats a hell of a lot of people.

#2 Posted by mosespippy (4444 posts) -

I would bet that most of those are inactive. When I started playing just about every server had between 1700 and 2000 players (the max number of players in a server). You would pick a server from somewhere that it was the middle of the night (around 700 players) so that there wouldn't be as much competition at the mines. The last time I checked only 3 servers were nearing full and most were around 300 players. I wonder if they count gold sellers accounts because those have always been a problem.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5727 posts) -

Oh man I still remember playing Runescape for hours on end. Good times.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Yeah, most of those are probably inactive. My Runescape account is probably one of those 200 million even though I haven't touched the game in approximately 7 years now.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

And it still sucks, my little brother started playing when he was 11, he's 17 now and still goes back to it sometimes. Also, who cares.

#6 Posted by Cirdain (3151 posts) -

Whatever I have like 4 inactive accounts. Runescape was dumb.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I came into this thread, to say how those accounts are all probably owned by 12 year olds, or all inactive.

But you know what...

Good for them. They where one of the first Free to Play games, and have found a way to make money by creating something. I dont know. They must be doing something right if they have been around for so long. I remember playing Runescape when I was 12, and that was more then 10 years ago.

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I had a Runescape account years ago. I remember really hating that game.

#9 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I came into this thread, to say how those accounts are all probably owned by 12 year olds, or all inactive.

But you know what...

Good for them. They where one of the first Free to Play games, and have found a way to make money by creating something. I dont know. They must be doing something right if they have been around for so long. I remember playing Runescape when I was 12, and that was more then 10 years ago.

I've always liked the people behind Runescape, they are a company that you image are just a bunch of laid back guys instead of a bunch of suits.

#10 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

The game is a non-stop boring grind with horrific 'gameplay' by any standards. You do get quite a lot for a F2P game but everything in the game is a chore, there's absolutely no convenience to any of the mechanics in the game.

I played it for short period of time before guild wars 1 was released. After that it was impossible to imagine going back to Runescape ever, and that was 7 years ago!

#11 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -

nice going. i've played much more than my fair share of runescape. while i probably wouldn't like it now, 7 years ago that game was the shit, especially because all my friends played it.

#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Hizang: Yah, I had that impression too.

#13 Posted by GnomeonFire (778 posts) -

Yeah, they must be counting all accounts ever. Even my account which I made 5+ years ago and played for 2 hours.

#14 Posted by Bunnyman (213 posts) -

I talked to a young dude who was in to this. Mainly because he couldn't afford to play WoW. He would grind for hours and hours to get a new cape (or something). Fascinating. The fact that it is played through the browser surely helps those big numbers. Kids playing from school and what not.

#15 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
IF YOU LOVE ME YOU'LL BREAK MY NECK IN MY SLEEp

#16 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

They're definitely accounting for every one account created.

I wonder how many accounts were created for exploitative purposes or simply for someone who wanted to start over. I used to have an account, but apparently it's been compromised and my intention to reexamine Runescape after several of years of forgetting about it was met with the inability to log in or even recover my account. I remember having a second account for the purposes of experimenting with a certain pvp style, but yeah.

Man I used to sink so many hours into that game and at some point even had a premium account. I'm sort of glad I did, though, because it exhausted my ability to pick up an MMO and ever since I haven't been addicted to single MMO.

#17 Posted by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

I saw a Runescape advert on TV the other day and it blew my mind that it was on there.

#18 Posted by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I've always liked the people behind Runescape, they are a company that you image are just a bunch of laid back guys instead of a bunch of suits.

Yeah, they've won a bunch of awards for 'Top 100 places to work for' plus others http://www.jagex.com/careers/jagex/awards

#19 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

3 of them are mine and they're all inactive, if that means anything.

#20 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Runescape is fucking awesome. I have a level 117, but I have barely played (just on and off here and there) since around 2007. I've been thinking about playing again for a month or so.

#21 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

Runescape was awesome. When I was 13. There are so many free to play MMO's out there now that you'd have to be crazy to want to play Runescape.

#22 Posted by Daiphyer (1352 posts) -

People still play Runescape?

#23 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Good for them I guess, I've only watched my brother play for a few minutes and it looked terrible.

#24 Posted by Mijati (949 posts) -
@RazielCuts said:

@Hizang said:

Yeah, they've won a bunch of awards for 'Top 100 places to work for' plus others http://www.jagex.com/careers/jagex/awards

The individual sections of the company are awesome, they treat their employees well. However as a company as a whole it's not quite as good. But regardless, it's the best place I've ever worked.
#25 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

I don't like the game but this is good for them, they've been around long enough to deserve it.

#26 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

I remember playing this way back in, like, 2004 or 2005. It was alright but I got Guild Wars a little bit later around that time and there was no going back from that ish.

@Daiphyer: I think their business model relies on 12 year olds telling each other how cool this free game on the internet is.

#27 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I played Runescape for about 15 minutes total, that was 8 years ago. Still that's kinda impressive

#28 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11393 posts) -

That's a lot of fish.

#29 Edited by Xymox (2115 posts) -

My favorite part of that game was the self-sufficiency you could reach. It was like playing an RPG version of Settlers.

I'd go fish, chop trees to get wood, use the wood to make a camp fire, cook the fish, use that fish to heal me in dungeons where I went to mine (fighting monsters and getting gold at the same time), so that I could go smelt the ores to make new armor... I liked that game. I think I only had 1 more quest to finish, and I'd have been done with all of them.

I remember one of the later patches screwing over the trade system though... Have they fixed that? Would be nice to hand over my stuff to someone who's still playing. Doubt Rune equipment is still okay these days though :)

#30 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1682 posts) -

Don't take this as a slam against the current state of Runescape, but the one time I tried it (no later than 2006), I remember loading up a Java applet that ran at a barely-double-digit framerate, looked like junk, and barely told you what to do.

The thing I've always associated with those kinds of free-to-play games (Maple Story being the other I tried years and years ago) is a player base seemingly entirely composed of teenagers without credit cards to pay to play better games. There could be a charm and depth I'm missing, but I just don't get why you wouldn't pay to play a better game. Most adults have long-since passed the point at which they have more money than time, and I don't get why you'd spend that time playing a sub-par game that's designed to waste your time.

#31 Posted by Hunter5024 (5963 posts) -

I can account for maybe 10 of those 200 million. I used to love this game, its too bad it sucks so much, cause some of the quests are really interesting.

#32 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I found the game itself quite funny, good sense of humor.

#33 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I found the game itself quite funny, good sense of humor.

That's a good point. Thinking back on it, I really took that for granted. I was so absorbed in trivial things like grinding and questing to level up...

#34 Posted by Vonocourt (2164 posts) -

Probably made like five accounts, never more than an hour on any of them.

Had some friends who were really into it though, and the school filters didn't block it.

#35 Posted by stinky (1553 posts) -

200 million since launch.

which is not the same as 200 million current accounts.

#36 Posted by moywar700 (174 posts) -

more than half are bots

#37 Edited by Marokai (3145 posts) -
@Hizang: That may have been the case 6 years ago, but it's not so much the case now. Development of Runescape has basically been running itself into a wall for the last several years, as Runescape has turned into the cashcow for all of Jagex's other horrible and/or failed projects. They seem completely incompetent at developing anything beyond Runescape, as evidenced by their repeated failures at developing MechScape/Stellar Dawn. Maybe it's a great place to work, but they don't seem to have much of a forward vision for either Runescape or any other part of their company or have entirely lost the ability to execute upon it.
#38 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Ten lols per second, you guys.

#39 Posted by SargeGulp (240 posts) -

Glad that's over.

#40 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@SargeGulp: It's not over, Runescape still exsists. I'd wager its going to be around for a long time, they will probably only announce Runescape 2 when World of Warcraft 2 gets announced.

#41 Posted by ajamafalous (12154 posts) -
@Hizang said:

@SargeGulp: It's not over, Runescape still exsists. I'd wager its going to be around for a long time, they will probably only announce Runescape 2 when World of Warcraft 2 gets announced.

Tehcnically the RuneScape that exists now is already RuneScape 2.
#42 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Oh right, forgot about Runescape classic, well then Runescape 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.