Runescape Quick Look!

#1 Edited by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Make it happen! Theres a ton of stuff they could do in this quick look and its a free game, especially in this drought of games, go quicklook Runescape!

Free-to-play MMORPG Runescape , which has now been running for 10 years and has somewhere in the region of 125 million players worldwide, received a Queen's Award in the Innovation category today. Topical!
#2 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -

Who still plays Runescape? 

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10347 posts) -

If that's what I think it is, then hasn't this game been out for years? Seems kinda dumb to do a Quick Look now. 

#4 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
"If that's what I think it is, then hasn't this game been out for years? Seems kinda dumb to do a Quick Look now.  "

MMO's are always growing, plus a ton of people still play this game. I'm not realy a fan of the game, but think of the wizard jokes!
#5 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -
@CandiBunni: As long as there's 12 year-olds who can't afford WoW,Runescape will never die.
#6 Posted by Pie (7034 posts) -

Sure, why not? I want quick looks of any game

#7 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

No

#8 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

Runescape is basically a "my first MMORPG". It's great for kids who've never played an MMO before (I know I spent a fair amount of time playing runescape in my early teens), but you grow out of it and move onto bigger things. I don't see what a Quick Look of it is really going to accomplish.

#9 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
@MattyFTM:

Almost everybody played it as a child, it would be great for us to see how its changed and stuff, its called NOSTALGIA lol
#10 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -
@Hizang: But it's free. If you want nostalgia you can jump into it and play it yourself. All that's going to happen in a quick look is that Ryan is going to shit on the game and make everyone feel terrible about having ever played it.
#11 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
@MattyFTM:
That to me sounds like a funny quick look :P
#12 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

No, if anything I want them to do more throwback quick looks.

#13 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Runescape is its own thing, its my first MMO while you are a teenager. Most quick looks have some sort of reasoning behind them and MMO's are hard to quick look if you don't already have some sort of investment in them, I think its a distinct possibility that none of the staff have even played runescape.

#14 Posted by ajamafalous (11807 posts) -

Basically everything Matty said.

#15 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3694 posts) -

Runescape is WoW for poor 12 year olds.

#16 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
@craigbo180:
I'd think that Jeff or Brad would have played it, but I see your point
#17 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1333 posts) -

i lost years 12-14 of my life to that game

I WANT THEM BACK
#18 Posted by BeachThunder (11638 posts) -

Drought? Not sure if serious.

And even if it were a drought, this would be like drinking sand...

#19 Posted by Jolt92 (1538 posts) -

NEVER.

#20 Edited by EuanDewar (4686 posts) -

Quick Looks are for two things: 
1)Looking at New games that have interest surrounding them and
2)Highlighting older games that may have been overlooked.

Runescape is neither of those things, its a free to play MMORPG, of which there are hundreds.

#21 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@BeachThunder:
That week is OVER! Nothing new coming out now, but yes I kid

#22 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

Runescape game night anyone?

#23 Posted by SuperSambo (2849 posts) -

Why don't kids just play something good like Guild Wars? Thats what I did, and even a 10 year old me saw how crap Runescape was.

#24 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

Runescape is dumb.

#25 Posted by animathias (1160 posts) -

If it weren't free to play or if it were obscure, I'd agree with you, but as it is anyone can head over to the website and load it up. The same with GunBound. I can see a couple of funny moments appearing out of Quick Looks, but I'd rather they spent that time recording other games, perhaps more obscure ones I haven't played or heard of.

#26 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

The thing that always confused me about runescape was the paid memberships. kind of defeated the point. When I was 13 and had nothing to do it was a great time sink but I'd have never paid for it. There are better free MMO's anyway, Dark Eden was the greatest, can't believe that's pay to play now...

#28 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@billnyethesciencepie:

Thanks for the link :D

"Free-to-play MMORPG Runescape, which has now been running for 10 years and has somewhere in the region of 125 million players worldwide, received a Queen's Award in the Innovation category today."
#29 Posted by Taklulas (401 posts) -

How about....fuck you?

#30 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I just booted it up in the first time in about a year, man theres alot of new shit!

#31 Posted by JJWeatherman (14553 posts) -
@CandiBunni said:
" Who still plays Runescape?  "
People who don't know any better.
#32 Posted by 71Ranchero (2673 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" @Hizang: But it's free. If you want nostalgia you can jump into it and play it yourself. All that's going to happen in a quick look is that Ryan is going to shit on the game and make everyone feel terrible about having ever played it. "
Those are the reasons that I would want to see this happen. More QL's of terrible games is a good thing in my eyes.
#33 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

Dude, no.

Runescape is terrible to begin with. Like Matty said, all they'd do is shit on the game and since there's nothing actually, like, ironically funny about Runescape, it wouldn't actually be entertaining.

Also, this goes pretty high on the list of "Weird questions posed on the GB forums".
#34 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I played for a while, then died in wildy and lost my gear...

#35 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I'M NOT GOING BACK YOU CAN'T MAKE ME GO BACK

#36 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Go!

#37 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Runescape is the greatest game ever made.. PERIOD. It should win GOTY every year.

OOOOHHH YEAH!
#38 Edited by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Definite NO to Runescape. But the OP got me thinking about what Giant Bomb could be doing during the doldrums of summer to produce video content when there are few games coming out, and I know everyone gets their panties in a twist when it's mentioned, but... 

I can think of no better way to provide everyone with a steady stream of content throughout the summer "drought".  

Though I would totally accept as many Quick Look Throwbacks as they can dish out. 
#39 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

A runescape quick look would involve them attacking something, them mining something and them walking around.

They aren't going to put the initial hours of game play needed to get to do any of the "new stuff" so it doesn't matter.

Would be an extremely boring quick look imo.

#40 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -
@CandiBunni said:
Who still plays Runescape? 
My fucking little brother. Fuck I hate Runescape- steamiest pile of shit I've ever seen someone sink 1000 hours into.
#41 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

People play Runescape? Bwahahaha.
#42 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I don't really understand the hate Runescape gets, if nothing else the humor is actully funny and the game is well free.

#43 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

I still have a lvl 90 character floating around somewhere, though I haven't played the game since I was about 14. My account has probably been hacked by now, since I've been getting some dubious e-mails lately. 

It's a fucking terrible game that has been scientifically engineered to target the addiction centers of your brain. 

No need for a QuickLook.

#44 Posted by thebatmobile (979 posts) -

Runescape is for jerks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.