Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

R.U.S.E.

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 04, 2010

R.U.S.E. is an RTS developed and published by Ubisoft with "ruses" and deception as a central game concept.

Nations and Strategies, RUSE

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By thatfrood

I've been playing a ton of the RUSE beta and DAMN is it fun. If I were to describe it... I'd say it's a combination of CoH and RoN.

Anyone else playing? What nation do you like to use? Any strategies you want to share?

I tried out pretty much all of them before settling on the French. They have this kind of bizarre setup where their early and mid-game are very good. This let's me rush early and safely, then finish them off in the military conflict that ensues.
    I tend to focus on infantry and artillery, I don't build tanks often because I find that I usually play near forests, so I can just wipe out enemy tanks with infantry surprise attacks.

I'm noticing that the Americans are a bit imbalanced. Their units are very good but also fairly cheap, their tanks are way more powerful than they ought to be.

I also like playing as the Russians. Mid-to-late game I'll have so much artillery that the enemy literally is forced into attacking me. They're also great for early game bombardment, thanks to their artillery encampments.

There was one game I remember where I was playing as the French with a Russian ally. We were up against an American and an Italian. The Italian rushed INCREDIBLY early and took my hq very quickly, I figured I was completely screwed. But luckily I had constructed a barracks far left and concealed it. I spammed a bunch of low level infantry and managed to cap his first hq, reestablished my supply line and took him out shortly afterward. It was super satisfying.

cduce2411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By cduce2411

Yeah, I love the RUSE beta a lot as well, pretty sure I am going to get it. I like playing as French a lot because I like their artillery. One strategy that works a lot is where you build an armor base near your HQ, then another near their base. Conceal the building and units with Camo Net and Radio Silence. Build dummy tanks and send them to the front while you sneak behind them, then blitz in their sector to catch them off guard.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fripplebubby

Been playing the beta as well. I'm going American, because I like using the tanks to charge dem hoes. On an unrelated note, I usually lose.   

My strategy is get in a big game (4 vs.4, 2 vs. 2 vs. 2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3, etc.) so that not everyone is focused on you. Then I always (and I mean always) keep my base covered with camo net at all times. This keeps bombers away and makes it harder for enemies to charge me. Then I build tonnes of AA and hide them in the trees, because i'm a sneaky bastard. I also recommend sending infantry units to the cites ASAP, as they do an unholy amount of surprise damage.  

Next I build many admin buildings, because later on when you get attacked the supply lines are the first to go. Granted you better have plenty of AA, because one bomber can take out two Admin buildings a piece, and that shit's expensive.  

Finally I spam a bunch of tanks and a few long range artillery for good measure, and sit back and watch the carnage. 

cduce2411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By cduce2411
    @Fripplebubby: I'll have to try that strategy, it seems like a very effective defensive strategy.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By thatfrood

I've recently started playing an aggressive russian strategy. I usually put down 3 supply depots, and then I build a long range bunker in the center of the map. This is ideal for 2v2 or 1v1 maps.
    I build infantry (russian barracks is dirt cheap, 10 bucks) and hide them in the nearest forest and harass the enemy. This stops their expansion usually, and while they are trying to build a counter I extend supply lines and construct several more artillery bunkers.
    Their economy is usually interrupted significantly enough that a defeat only happens if you drastically screw up unit micro.

Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Earthborn

I play France often. I usually get some AA and hide them in trees, then start pushing for board control with Radio Silence or Reverted Intel. It's pretty great to see someone try to counter your 15 heavy tanks with 15 light tanks (thinking they're infantry), only to get slaughtered. 

Also, forests are incredibly important strategic locations, as ThatFrood said. It's really important to get some recon (French recon is fast and effective against infantry) and try to route them out. They shoot farther than infantry, but are vulnerable to AT.  

France has amazing Arty, AA, and decent tanks, but they lack any serious AT capabilities, and need to outflank or outproduce (sometimes this doesn't work) the opponent. 

One thing that the game doesn't really tell you is you can press "E" when selected units are moving to have them halt and hold position. This is ESSENTIAL for using your Anti Tank units effectively, as they have to be standing still to shoot. In other words, tanks need to advance into your line of AT. 

So far the game is incredibly addictive and fun. I got one of my friends into it and he thinks it plays a lot like the original C&C in the units and their respective roles.  

Because the game moves at such a slow and methodical pace, once you spot an enemy army there's usually enough time to build a base close to your headquarters and pump out counter units. For instance, tanks move so slowly that AT can easily overwhelm them if you play it cool. Fast and loose in RUSE doesn't seem to work, unless your opponent is really new to the mechanics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.