Rush'N Attack Ex-Patriot Is Not Shadow Complex

• 53 results
Posted by Jeff (3671 posts) -

When Konami showed the following trailer at its press event last night, I was taken aback:

Wow, that sure looks like Shadow Complex, right? They couldn't even avoid using the word "complex" in the trailer. So the split for me was between shaking my head at a game that looked like a shameless clone of one of last year's best games and getting all excited because I'd totally play through a Shadow Complex clone, especially one that's knife-focused and bears the Rush'N Attack name.

They weren't letting folks play the game last night, but I did go take a look at the brief demo and saw that, despite the incredibly similar visual styles, Ex-Patriot is not a Shadow Complex clone. The biggest difference is that Rush'N Attack sounds like it's a much more straightforward game. It's not about collecting items that grant you access to other areas of the "complex" that you weren't able to access before. It doesn't look like they're working from the same "Metroidvania" blueprint at all. Instead, you'll work your way through three large environments, each of which ends with a boss fight. The game will have a stealth slant to it, meaning there are alarms that you can trip if you aren't careful. If and when you set off an alarm, walls slam down on either side of you and you'll have to fight a rushing force before you can proceed. EMP grenades are one of the ways you can disable alarm systems.

Of course, if you just want to stab fools, you can just charge through and set off as many alarms as you like. As you play, you'll level up, which will unlock additional knife combos. While you'll find weapons along the way, they work a lot like they did in the original Rush'N Attack. You can only fire them forward, and they have a very limited amount of ammo. So if you find a rocket launcher, you'll get three shots off and then toss it aside. As you play, you'll earn points and raise your multipliers by knifing a lot of guys. You'll also get more points for finishing a stage quickly. Online leaderboards will track your progress there and let you compare it against others, obviously.

So... yeah, it sure does look like Shadow Complex. But it's definitely sounding like more action than adventure, with just enough of the ideas from the original Rush'N Attack to set it apart. Could be cool.
#1 Posted by Jeff (3671 posts) -

When Konami showed the following trailer at its press event last night, I was taken aback:

Wow, that sure looks like Shadow Complex, right? They couldn't even avoid using the word "complex" in the trailer. So the split for me was between shaking my head at a game that looked like a shameless clone of one of last year's best games and getting all excited because I'd totally play through a Shadow Complex clone, especially one that's knife-focused and bears the Rush'N Attack name.

They weren't letting folks play the game last night, but I did go take a look at the brief demo and saw that, despite the incredibly similar visual styles, Ex-Patriot is not a Shadow Complex clone. The biggest difference is that Rush'N Attack sounds like it's a much more straightforward game. It's not about collecting items that grant you access to other areas of the "complex" that you weren't able to access before. It doesn't look like they're working from the same "Metroidvania" blueprint at all. Instead, you'll work your way through three large environments, each of which ends with a boss fight. The game will have a stealth slant to it, meaning there are alarms that you can trip if you aren't careful. If and when you set off an alarm, walls slam down on either side of you and you'll have to fight a rushing force before you can proceed. EMP grenades are one of the ways you can disable alarm systems.

Of course, if you just want to stab fools, you can just charge through and set off as many alarms as you like. As you play, you'll level up, which will unlock additional knife combos. While you'll find weapons along the way, they work a lot like they did in the original Rush'N Attack. You can only fire them forward, and they have a very limited amount of ammo. So if you find a rocket launcher, you'll get three shots off and then toss it aside. As you play, you'll earn points and raise your multipliers by knifing a lot of guys. You'll also get more points for finishing a stage quickly. Online leaderboards will track your progress there and let you compare it against others, obviously.

So... yeah, it sure does look like Shadow Complex. But it's definitely sounding like more action than adventure, with just enough of the ideas from the original Rush'N Attack to set it apart. Could be cool.
#2 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Damn. I want more Metroidvania style action on my consoles. You got my click by using Shadow Complex in the title.

The action looks good though. Makes me think back to that Strider remake that came out after SOTN on PS1 and how I was hoping that too would be a Metroidvania styled game.

#3 Posted by Oginam (447 posts) -

So when do we get to start calling it the Complex Metrovania style?

#4 Posted by Trejik (108 posts) -

Freaky. I totally want more Metroidvania in my life.

#5 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3086 posts) -

I want more Metroid-style video games as well. Makes you think: GTA-clone, Doom-clone, and yet no Metroid-clone.

#6 Posted by SomethingClever (423 posts) -

It looks like something I could enjoy playing and Rush'N Attack was a game I remember fondly (hell, I 'borrowed' the NES cart from a 'friend' the day before I moved 3 states away).  Even with only that trailer and those brief words about a little hands off demo I'm pretty much already committed to buying it.

#7 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Hey, they made another Shadow Complex?

#8 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

Did anyone ever complain that Shadow Complex tries extremely hard to be Uncharted?

#9 Posted by PLWolf (944 posts) -

Now I just want another Shadow Complex. :(

#10 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Oginam said:
" So when do we get to start calling it the Complex Metrovania style? "
When Shadow Complex proves it's not a one hit wonder. It has no legacy of its own more than a year back.
#11 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

I like beat em ups.  Hopefully the moveset is at least as deep as Streets of Rage 3.

#12 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

That reminds me, I still need to finish Shadow Complex.

#13 Posted by Alphazero (1548 posts) -

The guys at Chair said they wanted more people to make games like that so they could play them... they got their wish.

Man, I love Shadow Complex... minus some unmarked doors on the map issues. 

I'm sorry Shadow Complex. I can't stay mad at you. C'mere.

#14 Posted by WillyFourEyes (82 posts) -

I'd rather not havea  Metroidvania Rush'n Attack. As long as I get to run-and-knife fools, I'll be happy. All thrills, no frills.

#15 Posted by JTVIII (9 posts) -

The only thing I remember about Rush'N Attack, was that my cartridge was the first in my collection to be fouled up and require ALOT of cleaning ... Must be that I didn't play it much.
#16 Posted by Rmack (1078 posts) -

The more times I read comments on this site the more I realize people don't read articles.

#17 Posted by Fontelroy (102 posts) -

does anyone else have the old video player for this page? maybe my computer's just scared and confused

#18 Posted by SuperJoe (900 posts) -

Rush N Attack has the most berets of any franchise.

#19 Posted by SomethingClever (423 posts) -
@Rmack: Hell, it seems people generally don't read anything these days.  I tend to imagine a bunch of people out wandering around shouting nonsense so as to avoid having to actually think about anything (and yeah that is a pretty weak reference to a Hitchhikers Guide bit).
#20 Posted by TobyD81 (1231 posts) -

Hmm, I always like seeing side-scrollers get some love in these high-fidelity times...but Rush N' Attack? I played the XBLA release and it felt like Contra, but way clunkier and not fun.

#21 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

This looks right up my alley. I've actually never played the original Rush N' Attack, I should probably give that a shot sometime.

#22 Posted by Rinkalicous (1340 posts) -

Watching that video makes me want to play Shadow Complex again. 

I almost wish I hadn't played that game 5 times through in the first week, so that I could enjoy some of it now.

#23 Posted by Milkman (17337 posts) -

If it's not about exploring, then that makes this even more unremarkable, considering exploration was the best thing about Shadow Complex.

#24 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Jeff:   Not only does it look and play like Shadow Complex, but looks crappy and almost entirely misses the point of Rush 'N Attack which has already been an XBLA game with slightly modernised gfx and sound but still close to the original arcade game.  This looks awful.
#25 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

That game just plain looks bad.  I dunno whether its the fact that the "lo-tech" trailer just looks cheap or the fact that the characters name is on the health bar, but it just looks janky

#26 Posted by EvilDingo (589 posts) -

I believe I know the original "Rush'N Attack" as "Green Beret".

I'm not above stabbing fools, but a Shadow Complex clone would probably be more appealing to me.

#27 Posted by samsaturday (91 posts) -

I'd rather play Shadow Complex 2.

#28 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Oginam said:
hopefully never. Eventually we should come up with a name that doesnt reference any specific series. Like how fps'es were originally called "Doom Clones"
#29 Posted by Wugga (19 posts) -

They also made it really shadowy. Coincidence?

#30 Posted by ocdog45 (675 posts) -

never played shadow complex so i will get this one.

#31 Posted by Crono (2709 posts) -
@ocdog45 said:
" never played shadow complex so i will get this one. "
You should get Shadow Complex too if you can.
#32 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1868 posts) -

I'm intrigued, will probably check this out; hooray for more 2D/2.5D in our lives!

#33 Posted by Oginam (447 posts) -
@Supermarius said:
" @Oginam said:
hopefully never. Eventually we should come up with a name that doesnt reference any specific series. Like how fps'es were originally called "Doom Clones" "
Good point, that reminded me of how every fps is now compared to Halo or CoD/MW. Not a trend I want to endorse, my bad.

Best I could come up with was 3rd person Gridscapes...ugh.
#34 Posted by gardless (3 posts) -

Music is nice.

#35 Posted by Jackal888 (97 posts) -

Looks like I will be stabbin' fools this fall. Never got to to play Shadow Complex.

#36 Posted by ProjektGill (753 posts) -
@Fontelroy said:
" does anyone else have the old video player for this page? "  
 Yea I saw that the old volume changer was back then I realized oh snap, its the old player.
#37 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Alphazero 
 said:

" The guys at Chair said they wanted more people to make games like that so they could play them... they got their wish.  "

Except that they haven't. 

This game is nothing like Shadow Complex other than bring reminiscent of a NES side-scrolling action game (which Shadow Complex was MORE than -- see Metroidvania concept page). People that refer to this as Shadow-Complex-like must not have played action games back in the NES era. Metroidvania is MUCH MUCH MUCH more than straight up action, like what this game is.

@Crono

said:

" @ocdog45 said:

" never played shadow complex so i will get this one. "

You should get Shadow Complex too if you can. "
Agreed. These two games have nothing in common other than the camera perspective and character sizes. The genre is totally different with exception to the fact that Metroidvania contains action, but hardly ever vice-versa.

@Supermarius

said:

" @Oginam said:

hopefully never. Eventually we should come up with a name that doesnt reference any specific series. Like how fps'es were originally called "Doom Clones" "
Well Doom was the first mass market FPS, unlike Shadow Complex. Metroid and Castlevania (mainly SOTN) were the pioneers in their genre. There's no reason to add "complex" to the genre title other than to appease new fly-by-night gamers.

Anybody play the original Rush'N 'Attack? How about the original Metroid? Can anybody list more than 5 ways how they are similar in regards to gameplay? Didn't think so.
#38 Posted by tankintheair315 (351 posts) -

The original Rush N' Attack sucked, not sure why this franchise warrants a revisit

#39 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@Fontelroy said:
" does anyone else have the old video player for this page? maybe my computer's just scared and confused "
The Insert Video feature doesn't seem to have been updated for the new video player. It inserts the old player instead of the newer Flowplayer one.
#40 Posted by steevl (203 posts) -

Heh, I loved Rush N' Attack on the NES for some reason.  It has pretty good music, like most Konami titles of that era. Hopefully this turns out all right.

#41 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @Fontelroy said:
" does anyone else have the old video player for this page? maybe my computer's just scared and confused "
The Insert Video feature doesn't seem to have been updated for the new video player. It inserts the old player instead of the newer Flowplayer one. "
It uses the new player on the Crysis 2 preview article.
#42 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@MrKlorox: It's certainly possible to insert Flowplayer videos; just not with the Insert Video button.

#43 Posted by HaterGamer (18 posts) -

This game looks amazing. I love how Konami is bringing back all it's old video game characters. They just might dethrone Capcom for my favorite video game company.

#44 Posted by Reetesh (191 posts) -

THe music from NES RushNAttack is one of the most memorable VGMs I've ever heard (Had it as a ringtone for a very long time too :P )  I was expecting that the trailer would have a remix of it, or atleast a small sample from the original, but there was none :(  Oh well... I hope the music is just as good and does the character die the same way? Knee down and shouting in pain?

#45 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

God I love Rush'n Attack. And for that matter, Shadow Complex.

#46 Edited by Mercurius (15 posts) -

Wow. I never got around to playing Shadow Complex, but even I can tell that this game is almost a carbon copy of it.

#47 Posted by Rmack (1078 posts) -
@Phunk_King:  Even if it's weak, it shows you read something! Look at the post above me! Jesus! Ahg! Noises!
#48 Posted by larspsve (2 posts) -

Sweet! Looking forward to this. Anyone remember the first one on C64?:D

#49 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

Looks awesome, good to see the PS3 logo, that was pretty much the only question I had.

#50 Posted by Warchief (661 posts) -

more shadow complex now please. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.