Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

Anyone Disappointed. . .

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

That Mr. Davis is not going to review any of the anime video game films for TANG? 

He stated in the BombCast that he isn't going to review the anime films for TANG. I know TANG has ended, but when it returns in 2010 (Maybe), he'll just review the live action and CG stuff only. 

I don't like Pokemon as a anime, but I'll admit, I was curious to see how Mr. Davis is going to handle watching a Pokemon movie and giving a review for it. It'd be one interesting thing to watch. 

What are your thoughts?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrGetBonus

Dude, I'd love to see his opinions on  some Pokemans movies. All like, what, 12 of them?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zajtalan

yea pokemon movies shouldnt count anyways because those are based off the show not the game

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @MrGetBonus said:
    " Dude, I'd love to see his opinions on  some Pokemans movies. All like, what, 12 of them? "
    Mr.Davis review all the shitty Uwe Boll films. Why not review the possibly shitty Pokemon films?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

While it would be funny hearing Ryan's commentary on the truly outlandish Tekken anime movie (Heihachi catches a tomahawk in his mouth and crushes the blade with his teeth!), I can understand his point.  There is a lot, and I mean a lot, of anime based on video games, much of which is incredibly obscure.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

Anime in general is a whole different device.  Trying to criticize those in the same way as you criticize live action and CG movies is not even in the same kind of league.  Then again, look at Ponyo.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By animateria

Nope, not disappointed.

Anime isn't terrible in a way that makes TANG interesting.

There's that Live-Action quality that just merges well with hilarious mediocrity.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @Zajtalan said:
    " yea pokemon movies shouldnt count anyways because those are based off the show not the game "
    Someone told me it's the other way around.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @MrGetBonus said:
    " Dude, I'd love to see his opinions on  some Pokemans movies. All like, what, 12 of them? "
    Mr.Davis review all the shitty Uwe Boll films. Why not review the possibly shitty Pokemon films? "
    The Pokemon films are aimed squarely at children.  The general plotting and character development don't need to follow the same standards that something meant for older audiences should aspire to.
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrGetBonus
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @MrGetBonus said:
    Mr.Davis review all the shitty Uwe Boll films. Why not review the possibly shitty Pokemon films? "
    HEY! What are you calling shitty!? I only seen the first like 3 or 4 movies but from what I remember they were pretty badass.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ravensword

Did he review Advent Chidren?
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @MrGetBonus said:
    " @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @MrGetBonus said:
    HEY! What are you calling shitty!? I only seen the first like 3 or 4 movies but from what I remember they were pretty badass. "
    I said possibly shitty. I saw the first one, I didn't like it.

@Raven_Sword said:
    " Did he review Advent Chidren? "
    Yes, but that's a CG film.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By animateria
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " Did he review Advent Chidren? "
    Yes, yes he did.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By apathylad

I was hoping he would review anime too. If I recall correctly, a Dead Space anime was released some time ago. Also, now that the Halo anime was announced, you'd think it would be a no brainer to review that when it's released.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By PureRok

Meh. There are good adaptations to anime, and since Ryan probably doesn't like anime and TANG is geared toward bad movies, I doubt the reviews would be truthful.

Someone reviewing something they don't like before even trying it is always a bad idea. That's like if I went and watched a Saw movie with the intent to review it knowing full well I hate Saw.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @PureRok said:
    " Meh. There are good adaptations to anime, and since Ryan probably doesn't like anime and TANG is geared toward bad movies, I doubt the reviews would be truthful.  Someone reviewing something they don't like before even trying it is always a bad idea. That's like if I went and watched a Saw movie with the intent to review it knowing full well I hate Saw. "
    I don't think his hatred for anime is as bad as Jeff's. Mr. Davis admits to not liking Uwe Boll's films but at the end, he admits to saying that he's getting better at film making.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By PureRok
    @Kou_Leifoh said:

" @PureRok said:

" Meh. There are good adaptations to anime, and since Ryan probably doesn't like anime and TANG is geared toward bad movies, I doubt the reviews would be truthful.  Someone reviewing something they don't like before even trying it is always a bad idea. That's like if I went and watched a Saw movie with the intent to review it knowing full well I hate Saw. "
    I don't think his hatred for anime is as bad as Jeff's. Mr. Davis admits to not liking Uwe Boll's films but at the end, he admits to saying that he's getting better at film making. "
    Well, I don't know whether he does or not. That's why I said "probably doesn't like anime", I'm just assuming he doesn't. Hey, if he decides to do the animated movies, too, then that's great, but if not then that's fine, too. I guess what I mean to say is I don't really care either way.
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGremp

Since when are we referring to him as "Mr. Davis?"  That's way to weird for me.  I like to refer to him as "Sweet Cheeks" or "My Lord", but I guess I'm just casual like that.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By vidiot
    @Hailinel said:
    " While it would be funny hearing Ryan's commentary on the truly outlandish Tekken anime movie (Heihachi catches a tomahawk in his mouth and crushes the blade with his teeth!), I can understand his point.  There is a lot, and I mean a lot, of anime based on video games, much of which is incredibly obscure. "
    Obscure? You mean I won't see my episode of TANG about the Sin movie?
    SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SoothsayerGB
    @MrGetBonus said:
    This.  I just like Giant bomb generated content.  Mostly, the videos of them in the office.  I just hope, season 2?  Isn't to far off.  If we have to wait till next spring/summer...
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @jakob187 said:
    "Anime in general is a whole different device.  Trying to criticize those in the same way as you criticize live action and CG movies is not even in the same kind of league."
    I agree with Jakob on this one. Also if Ryan doesn't want to do it, it's best he doesn't, I don't think TANG would be as special if Ryan was so half-hearted about working on what he was doing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.