Cloud rap producer Friendzone's track "Taswell"

#1 Posted by Nodima (1291 posts) -

I can't say explicitly whether it's a tribute cut or not, but in some ways it certainly feels like a eulogy. Anyway, it's a choice tune and it made me think of him, so I'm dropping it here.

#2 Edited by ADAMWD (613 posts) -

Asked them on Twitter if it was a tribute, and they said it indeed is.

#3 Posted by aajf (224 posts) -

Great track, what a wonderful tribute.

Also this is literally the first time I've heard or read the term "cloud rap". As someone who loves shoegazey/glitchy dreamscapes combined with a strong beat but who never knows how to search for them, you just helped me out a lot.

#4 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

This is, indeed, a jam.

#5 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -

i saw this on bandcamp and i was totally wondering if that was a ryan tribute. awesome to hear that it is~

#6 Posted by Milkman (17311 posts) -

I've never heard of these guys before but that was great!

#7 Edited by Nodima (1291 posts) -

@aajf said:

Great track, what a wonderful tribute.

Also this is literally the first time I've heard or read the term "cloud rap". As someone who loves shoegazey/glitchy dreamscapes combined with a strong beat but who never knows how to search for them, you just helped me out a lot.

This was when I first heard of Friendzone. 808s & Dark Grapes II is a fantastic album.

#8 Posted by Capum15 (4991 posts) -

That was excellent.

#9 Posted by Nodima (1291 posts) -

@adamwd said:

Asked them on Twitter if it was a tribute, and they said it indeed is.

thanks.

#10 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5980 posts) -

That's really nice.

#11 Posted by Fattony12000 (7559 posts) -

Fuck, that's fresh as shit.

#12 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Friendzone is such a great name for an act...

#13 Posted by TheHT (11769 posts) -

<3

#14 Edited by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

Respect.

For the jams.

Pour one out.

<>

RYAN DAVIS

#15 Posted by aajf (224 posts) -

@nodima: I'll be sure to check out the whole thing.

#16 Posted by notdavid (842 posts) -

Pretty fresh. I bet Ryan would have really liked it.

#17 Edited by peteisfat (53 posts) -

Great tune, heard of these guys but had never checked em out, I will now though.

#18 Posted by Akyho (1698 posts) -

Its been a few months and these little tributes still bring a few tears to my eyes.

Even without the attachment of it being a memorial to Ryan its something Id listen too and I am enjoying it right now.

#19 Posted by Quarters (1859 posts) -

HOT DANG. Never heard the term "cloud rap" before, but I certainly am aware of it now. Outside of being a touching tribute, it's a tasty beat. Well done.

#20 Edited by Evilsbane (4736 posts) -

THIS SONG MAKES EVERYTHING CAPS! LOVE YOU RYAN WHEREVER YOU ARE DUDER!

Edit: Screw life for taking him away, from his friends, his family, and us. He really was amazing, I don't know.. every little mention of him gets to me I wish I was creative enough to make something to show how much that tiny sombrero wearing mad man meant to me.

#21 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

God damn. That's some good shit. Fitting tribute.

#22 Posted by GalacticPunt (1105 posts) -

Truly excellent on every level.

Baller. Time.

#23 Posted by Nev (561 posts) -

Really great to see this stuff still coming. Great track, too.

#24 Edited by Ghost_Cat (1472 posts) -

I can't believe "cloud rap" has stuck to this sub-genre for this long (not a fan of the name). But I figured so the moment I heard the track. Friendzone are great, and their Kuchibiru collections are top-notch stuff (Ryan Hemsworth's "Oil Paintings" is a rework of a SOTN track). Bay Area music is where it's at, y'all. BAY AREA!!!

#25 Posted by CHUCHULVC (1 posts) -

hey this is james from fz

thank you all so much for the love. making music is my life and giant bomb and the bombcast has been apart of my life so much for years now. i worked on this song with my partner dylan around the time that ryan passed and i just felt like the track needed to be named after him.

RIP Ryan. we all miss you.

<333 maybe i should post on the forums mroe!

#26 Posted by RonGalaxy (3266 posts) -

hey this is james from fz

thank you all so much for the love. making music is my life and giant bomb and the bombcast has been apart of my life so much for years now. i worked on this song with my partner dylan around the time that ryan passed and i just felt like the track needed to be named after him.

RIP Ryan. we all miss you.

<333 maybe i should post on the forums mroe!

The song is great, you are awesome!

#27 Posted by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

@chuchulvc: seriously fantastic mate, well done and great track too

#28 Edited by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

That was excellent. A tribute I think Ryan would have really liked.

#29 Posted by Itwongo (1245 posts) -

Wow, I somehow missed this.

It's really good! You've outdone yourself, @chuchulvc, I'll bet he would've really liked it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.