Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

Goodbye, Ryan Davis

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

Edited By Tofin

(Wrote this yesterday, just getting around to posting this now)

The fact that I have been crying on and off for the better part of a day over the death of a person I had little to no interpersonal interaction with sounds nuts, doesn’t it?

I mean, it’s no secret that I idolize the folks at Giant Bomb. Attaining that level of perfection is my dream. Their persistent stream of A+ content helped me through a lot, like a breakup in 2011, the fast food job that is slowly eating away at my very soul, and the swirling vortex of insanity that is the college application process. Whenever I felt down, they were there. I have never laughed harder than at Giant Bomb’s very best. Part of that was Ryan Davis. Even though he wasn’t really in charge, the man was the MC for practically everything. The reason the Bombcast was so fucking good is because Ryan was a killer host and editor. He knew exactly what do with his guests. It was clear that his co-workers and friends adored him.

And now he’s gone.

I don’t know why; both in terms of existentialism and reality. Cause of death hasn’t been released. Doesn’t really matter. The guy literally just got married to a woman he clearly loved. He was 34. So many of his friends’ last interactions with him was at his wedding. As Rorie put it: "In the face of this awfulness, many of us will at least always remember him as we last saw him: outrageously, uproariously happy, looking forward to his next adventure with the biggest grin his face could hold." That’s an excellent way to remember somebody. And his fans and peers clearly remembered him well. ‘Ryan’, ‘Ryan Davis’, and ‘RIP Ryan Davis’ were all trending worldwide on Twitter today. Clearly, this man’s passing has affected people, myself included.

I don’t know why. Ryan Davis was funny, talented, friendly, and everpresent. I own 3 Giant Bomb T-shirts. All of them have something to do with Ryan. The guy was clearly popular. But we never really knew him. When Dwayne McDuffie passed, I was really sad. I never cried openly for the guy, though. It’s going to take me a while to get over this one. I won’t be crying for weeks, but Ryan is going to leave a hole in my life.

I don’t know why. Was it the raw amount of admiration I felt for him? Was it that I wanted to be in his position? Was it that I kind of expected Giant Bomb to be a constant? Patrick leaving was really sad, but he can always come back. Ryan is just…gone. Forever. We’re never going to hear his fantastic laugh again. He won’t amaze us with just how delighted he gets by dumb shit. The podcast is just Vinny, Brad, and Jeff now. Maybe it’s that I’m watching my favorite group of people fall apart before my eyes, and a fucking unfair death certainly isn’t helping. Is that selfish? Is all mourning selfish, because it’s based in never being able to experience that person again?

The point is, I’m going to miss you, Ryan Davis. And I’m not alone. You touched a lot of people.

See you on the other side.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.