Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

It's Tuesday

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

Edited By LordAndrew

I've been following GameSpot, reading and listening to Ryan Davis for more than seven years. I have a lot of respect for Ryan and Jeff, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But I never realized how much Ryan meant to me until July 8, 2013, when I learned that he had passed away.

I’m going to miss Ryan’s stories, his laughter, and his enthusiasm. He loved to do what he did, and we loved him.

Whether you agreed with him or not, it was always fun listening to Ryan talk about... anything, really. Video games, food, drinks, whatever. Even while others were talking, the insight and humour he added to the conversation were always welcome. He was also a talented writer, but alas he didn't get to use that skill much at Giant Bomb.

Back in the GameSpot days I would use wget to download The HotSpot in multiple parts over a dial-up connection. I loved the HotSpot, and I did what I needed to be done to get my weekly fix. But something was messed up either on my end or on GameSpot's end, and the audio file I downloaded would skip, repeat, and do other stuff you don’t expect from an MP3. When Ryan said dumb stuff, my download process would repeat it several times just for me. I appreciate it more now than I did back then.

I’m impressed how much love for Ryan the entire gaming community has shown in response to his passing. Of course he's played a key role in the Giant Bomb crew and matters a lot to us here. And it's not surprising to see Double Fine and Harmonix react. But I’m also seeing responses from old GameSpot friends who aren't members here, Ubisoft, Amazon Video Games, Ouya, and more. Ryan Davis was a trending topic worldwide on Twitter. It's a huge response, and well deserved.

Farewell, Ryan Davis. We'll miss the hell out of you.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Nolan Fucking North and Ed Goddamn Boon both expressed their sadness for his passing. If that wouldn't make him excited, nothing would.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Great writeup, duder.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Good stuff man.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Damn dude, wget-ing the HotSpot in multiple parts? That's insane. So sad to see Ryan go.

Manburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I know what you mean. Seeing that post on the frontpage out of nowhere hit me pretty hard. I paused mid-breath and made a strange noise. Couldn't really comprehend it. It's so weird he won't be around anymore... But he lives forever on the internet, and within friends & loved ones. We'll miss you, duder!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6 gamer_152  Moderator

I'm really going to miss hearing Ryan's cheerful voice. Good write-up.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

It certainly happened all to fast.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By bakumatsu

God damn it. I have to stop reading all these blogs and threads about Ryan.

It's just too surreal and I'm getting worse and worse about all of this.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I'm not certain whether the culprit was wget or some other aspect of my setup. I never really looked into it.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@mariachimacabre said:

Nolan Fucking North and Ed Goddamn Boon both expressed their sadness for his passing. If that wouldn't make him excited, nothing would.

Do you have links for these?

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Perfect response.

themaster408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think I've listened to every Hotspot up to creation of Giantbomb and every Giantbomb with 1/2 year hiatus a year or so ago when life got busy. Glad so many other people share my sentiment that I feel like I lost a friend, though I've never spoken with him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.