Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

Ryan Davis, 1979 - 2013

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#7401  Edited By csl316

Well, it's been a month. And as I'm still catching up on some videos it's easy to convince yourself that Ryan's still around.

Continues to be a sad time, but at least the crew has been pumping out some amazing content in recent weeks.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7402  Edited By Devil240Z

Someone made this amazing picture so I had to print it out and put it on my desk. its been up for a couple weeks and I'm thinking of replacing it with a subtler picture to remember ryan with. Any suggestions?

No Caption Provided

EDIT: Just printed this one to replace the other but it seems more worthy of framing.

No Caption Provided

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Imagine being a year behind in bombcasts. He still lives in my ipod.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Still feels like yesterday you were sitting on that chair, sweating. Miss you, Ryan.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7406  Edited By Skytylz

His dad tweeted some stuff about what happened. He didn't say exactly but it's pretty clear.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Still missed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5bc0f9823f4
    deactivated-5f5bc0f9823f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miss you man. RIP. You made my Tuesdays amazing. Keep up the good work up there duder! <3

teov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Ryan. I need him to brighten my Tuesday nights with his infectious laughter.. I want to hear his voice on the Bombcast again.. I want to see him in silly Kinect Quick Looks again... I feel like I've lost part of me, and I've never met this wonderful dude. You will be missed, Ryan.

jbuchan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7410  Edited By jbuchan76

:(

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Ryan will never be forgotten. He still lives on through his family, friends and the wonderful site he helped create. We miss you big guy.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

During the Bombcast today when the guys started talking about Will, something felt out of place and I realized after a minute or two there was nobody making fun of him. Then I started missing Ryan again :(

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It doesn't feel like it's been as long as it has. I was extremely saddened when this happened, and it still feels weird that Ryan isn't around. He caused a lot of fun times, weird shit, and enlightening commentary to happen, and I'm thankful I got to watch some of it. Listening to his opinions for a decade really influenced the way I look at things. Thanks Ryan, and keep on trucking guys.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No words. Just pain.

RIP.

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Still struggling with this, which is only natural, considering what an absolute marvel of a man Ryan was. I’m impressed with the great work the Bombers have been doing, and it’s been heartening to see how nice the community can be. Still trying to heal. Still going to think of all you duders as my friends. <>

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7416  Edited By Legion_
    No Caption Provided

Look at our Top Men togheter... This still brings tears to my eyes. And I never cry.

Fuck it, I miss this man so much. Can't even begin to understand how Jeff is feeling.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I came in here to write about Ryan...

I don't know what to say or even why I came in here now to write. Still doesn't seem real.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh..

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#7419  Edited By ADAMWD

Still seems so surreal that Ryan is gone.

The saddest part for me has just been the various times over the past month during Bombcasts or Live Shows where I've thought Ryan would have had something great to add to the moment, or simply would have enjoyed the hell out of whatever was going on.

I bet he would really be digging the Salty Bet nonsense and ribbing the shit outta Brad for his descent into the Dota rabbit hole.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

where the fuck is ryan

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I keep forgetting and then getting bumbed watching content on the site.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can no longer watch older content that has Ryan in it, it is just too upsetting and distracting.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Can't believe it has been 6 weeks. It is really hard to listen to older podcasts or watch videos but Ryan is in some of my favorite content they have ever produced so I stay with it for him.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7424  Edited By Verendus

I'll say that I haven't listened to bombcast or hadn't even heard of Ryan (I think) until the news spread. Which is sort of shame, the man obviously was loved around here and I don't have the memories most of people do have about him.

Still sad to hear him go, especially after reading moving posts in this thread, my condolences to his wife, family and friends. RIP.

StarworksArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

R.I.P. Ryan

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamwd said:

I bet he would really be digging the Salty Bet nonsense and ribbing the shit outta Brad for his descent into the Dota rabbit hole.

Fuck man, you're right.

Lydian_Sel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I miss that guy so sincerely. I think I'm slowly starting to get to that place where seeing him in videos and hearing him in podcasts makes me happy to remember him instead of devastated that he's gone.

Thejugglingbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't believe Ryan is gone. I miss the guy so bad.

zedman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is been 6 weeks, I still miss the big guy on the bombcasts. The rest of the guys have been fantastic at keeping the site going

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Dropped in to see if it still hurts. Yep. It still hurts. So fucking much. Why did he have to leave? I can't make sense of something so senseless. There aren't enough words to express how truly grateful I am to this man. I'll never forget you Ryan Davis.

yeahimjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is so weird to sit here and tear up about a person I have never met before. This sucks...we all miss him...

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss you Ryan.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@killerfridge said:

@adamwd said:

Fuck man, you're right.

When I play Saints Row 4, there's a part of me that thinks, "Ryan would absolutely love this shit" and I get very melancholy that he never was able to play it.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killerfridge said:

@adamwd said:

Fuck man, you're right.

When I play Saints Row 4, there's a part of me that thinks, "Ryan would absolutely love this shit" and I get very melancholy that he never was able to play it.

Watching the Sony Gamescom ridiculousness yesterday was one of the first times I got really bummed about his passing, just thinking what a field day he would have had with it. I feel kind of shitty about it because part of that totally sounds like "I am upset about this person's death because they can no longer provide me with entertainment," but still, man. Add to the fact that I had a dream about him the other day for some reason and I guess it means I'm going to take all of this in waves.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this picture of Ryan and his brother. I imagine him as the greatest family guy ever. Would have made a great dad.

No Caption Provided

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got back from deployment...and man...this bums me out.

I wanted to toast Ryan and figured the best way would be to drink that beer in the picture, anyone know what it is?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7437  Edited By Cirdain

@css_switchfoot: Honestly, any amount of whiskey and a single cube of ice will do. He liked a good whiskey.

Pixelationist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sucks so hard... Bombcast will not be the same without you Ryan. Rest in peace. X

nsmb2_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, gets me to this day. RIP Ryan

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7440  Edited By JauntyHat

I know everything here has been said before but I felt like typing it out.

Dunno why but over the last thirty minutes or so this came back to knock on my heart again. Death's such a weird thing to comprehend, I feel like a child wondering when I'm going to see the next video he's in or hear his voice yakking about something new on the next podcast whenever he get's back. Then I gotta be the other side of it, the adult, and tell myself that he's never going to be in another video. No, he's not going to be in the next podcast. No we're not going to read any news article written by him popping up on the front page.

It's weird when this is a person I've never met before in my life, never any real contact, not even some weird passing by in the street where I "think I saw" him. And yet here I am typing out my feelings about this guy on the internet. From a pure audience member's perspective he was a joy to behold. When he spoke I listened and when he was on screen I watched. His laugh was infectious and his opinions were well thought out, or at least they appeared to be, behind the veil of confidence.

When I found out about Ryan's death, like most of us here, I couldn't believe it. As I said before I'm still kinda in denial about the whole thing. It has been, because of this, that I have found myself going back over the site's previous works. I've looked into old bombcasts I may have skipped over or may have merely used as background noise merely to experience 'the full picture' as it used to be. I did the same thing with old quicklooks or office shows. My favorites have always been before the CBS merger when the whole Whiskey team was still together at the old-new office.

I wanted to listen and view these from a new perspective; how this group of friends interacted with one another and how they turned something they loved and made a career out of it. They may not have seen eye-to-eye all the time and there were definitely some 'bad days' but its incredibly endearing to see how far it's come along. I highly recommend you guys go back and check out some classic Whiskey and Giantbomb clips, you'll be surprised to see that he's still got it.

Peace out Mr. Davis. Thanks for all the laughs and giving us a heck of a ride.

nsmb2_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was listening to an old podcast today, one where Ryan talks about his humming bird feeder mask... such a shame we'll never hear his funny anecdotes on the podcast again. It'd be a total disservice to even try and articulate exactly why.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

nudelwudel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7443  Edited By nudelwudel

@jauntyhat:

Well written post.

It's really weird that this has gotten back to me exactly today, too. I thought I might have been over it already but I'm not.

misquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7444  Edited By misquared

I was listening to an old podcast (around 2008 era) and Ryan introduced himself by saying "And I'm Ryan Davis, back from the dead!" I almost started crying then and there. RIP dude, you're a wonderful soul.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll miss you, Ryan Davis. You made damn good content.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7446  Edited By Nodima

There is a point during the Day One podcast of E3 2011 where everyone is joking about being dead, from the guests to the Bombbros, and...well, it didn't affect me then, but it did make me want to come back and read more comments on this story. And now I'm all misty.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I'd still be mostly retired to an NBA 2K-only existence in video games if it weren't for discovering Ryan Davis one magical afternoon doing who knows what last summer.

Rabbykayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7449  Edited By Rabbykayn
    DjTonySnark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only imagine the DOTA 2 conversation going like this.

"Brad, what the fuck are you doing" "I'm not playing it that mu-" "BRAD WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOOOIIIINNGGGGG!"

I was happiest when Ryan was miserable... that's kind of weird to say. He was very reactionary, and every reaction was fucking gold. I'll miss his no-nonsense on live shows, and executable decision making. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.