Ryan Davis at Olly Moss show

• 59 results
#1 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2375 posts) -
I was just looking through the blog when I found this. Don't know if it's been posted or not but ryan davis is buying stuff at 2:56

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/23621548?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/23621548">Olly Moss Art Show @ Gallery 1988</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/threadless">Threadless.com</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>    

#2 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

There you go.

Hmm, apparently it doesn't exist.
#3 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
#4 Edited by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

Oh hey! yep! That was definitely Ryan Davis right then! Looked like he was doin' some kinda art business.

#5 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
 I FOUND HIM!
#6 Posted by Elbon (368 posts) -

Time so start flooding the bombcast mailbox to find out what he bought

#7 Posted by oblique_ (49 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
 I FOUND HIM!
Your deceitful ways are nothing a good 45 seconds of carefully studying that pic can't foil!!
#8 Posted by Bones8677 (3208 posts) -
@Grissefar said:
Here you go.
That's disgusting. People are clamoring for silhouette paintings? What the fuck is wrong with people today. Guys if you want any one of these I will happily make you one for $10 a pop.
#9 Posted by dim499 (44 posts) -

Gbaby from the Ron and Fez show was there?

#10 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
@oblique_ said:
@eroticfishcake said:
 I FOUND HIM!
Your deceitful ways are nothing a good 45 seconds of carefully studying that pic can't foil!!
I RAISE YOU GOOD SIR!
#11 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

That's alot of people interested in sillhouette paintings, I will never understand art :(

#12 Posted by oblique_ (49 posts) -

Oh, I see him now! I didn't know he was a Yankees fan, huh.

#13 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

Hipsters... 

#14 Posted by Nixtwix (43 posts) -

Bet he bought the Pee Wee Herman one!

#15 Posted by MachoFantastico (4475 posts) -

Can't say I've really seen much of his art, but impressed. There simple but so easily identified. 

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
@Grissefar said:
Here you go.
That's disgusting. People are clamoring for silhouette paintings? What the fuck is wrong with people today. Guys if you want any one of these I will happily make you one for $10 a pop.
Are you Olly Moss?
#17 Posted by Bones8677 (3208 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
@Bones8677 said:
@Grissefar said:
Here you go.
Are you Olly Moss?
Maybe I am, sure. Why not?
#18 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

That Scrooge piece is kind of pricey 

#19 Posted by EuanDewar (4686 posts) -

I think Ryan has been a personal friend of Olly's for a while now.

#20 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

Maybe I don't understand art. A guy made hundreds of silhouette's of people and that's considered mind blowing? I have Photoshop, I can make a silhouette. I guess that makes me an artist? Why does nobody buy my dinosaur drawings? D:

#21 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

That's some expensive art dude. I don't think I would put anything remotely close to that for any type of art.

#23 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4606 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
@Grissefar said:
Here you go.
To be fair, some of his work is great bordering on genius. Most of it is just as you say though.
#24 Posted by Pandasaurus (115 posts) -
@DeeGee: the thing about art isn't how technically accomplished it is, or how complicated it but its originality and power of expression (intellectual, emotional or otherwise)

As you said, it's really easy to replicate art; anyone with some black paper and scissors can do what Moss does. It is however incredibly difficult to create something new, or portray an existing thing in a new meaningful way, and that is why Moss' work is so expensive.

Take the example of Space Invaders or Pong; people who say that is art aren't saying it because they are complicated games. You and I could probably make a decent clone of either without much difficulty. They are saying these games are artistically valuable because they represent a new vision of concept that has its own rules and aesthetic. In a similar way Moss' work has its own rules and aesthetics, and that can be what makes it valuable as art. 

Whilst you and i would probably agree art is subjective; that doesn't mean it is trivial. It's easy to copy an idea, but way trickier to bring one of your own original ones to fruition and harder still to have that idea mean a lot to a lot of different people.

TLDNR: It's not that you couldn't to what Moss did; it's that he did it first
#25 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Cool! I would totally buy one o those.

Or yknow, I'd just print one out.

#26 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@DeeGee said:
Maybe I don't understand art. A guy made hundreds of silhouette's of people and that's considered mind blowing? I have Photoshop, I can make a silhouette. I guess that makes me an artist? Why does nobody buy my dinosaur drawings? D:
Welcome to the world of art. You can literally slap some shit on a canvas and call it expressionism or some shit like that and sell it for a lot of money (as long as you're dead first).
#27 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

That blue striped shirt makes yet another appearance.

#28 Posted by littlereaper (22 posts) -

I like his Saul bass inspired posters more then the  silhouettes but some are really cool.

#29 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

Here's my art. It's a dinosaur. He's crying because he's sad by all the racism in the world, man, like, slavery is so like, lame, man.

The bidding starts at $500!
#30 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@Devil240Z said:
Hipsters... 
Thank you for helping to prove my point that the term 'hipster' has lost all meaning, and has instead become a catch all for "people I don't like".
#31 Posted by mr_tickles (185 posts) -
Kinda weird that Satan was there........ 
#32 Edited by onarum (1990 posts) -
@DeeGee said:

Here's my art. It's a dinosaur. He's crying because he's sad by all the racism in the world, man, like, slavery is so like, lame, man.The bidding starts at $500!
Here's mine, I call it Albino naked man in a snow storm, notice the clear struggle on his face that symbolizes the lack of sanitation standards on Botswana.
 That'll be $2.000,00, thanks.
#33 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Olly Moss is awesome and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.  Have you ever visited his website, or seen the posters he's done for Robert Ashley's A Life Well Wasted?  He doesn't just do silhouettes.

Also, I totally want the Karate Kid one.

#34 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -

Here's a picture that was in my Giant Bomb image gallery for some reason. Pay me a billion zenny.

#35 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -
@DeeGee said:
show don't tell
#36 Posted by notsonic (209 posts) -

i think the biggest "inspiration" for this show was exit through the gift shop.

#37 Posted by Sanj (2341 posts) -

Oh man, really loved some of the art on show there.

#38 Posted by notsonic (209 posts) -
@ DeeGee now its art. $1000 please.
#39 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -
@beej said:
@Devil240Z said:
Hipsters... 
Thank you for helping to prove my point that the term 'hipster' has lost all meaning, and has instead become a catch all for "people I don't like".
Wasn't that always the meaning?
#40 Posted by Sweep (8790 posts) -

@Bones8677 said:

@Grissefar said:
Here you go.

I think you are kinda missing the point here. The exhibition works as a whole. The pieces individually only have meaning because they were part of that exhibition. It's the same difference between buying an album at a shop and seeing the band play live.

#41 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

I actually like his concept and I can totally understand why this is a big thing. The thing is not the execution but in itsef but the whole idea for the thing. When you think of it it's quite crazy.

I also smiled when I realized that this man are behind some really really awesome T-shirts on Thredless.

Oh, and BTW! I found this on his blog. Seems like Ryan was standing in front of the que. Wonder how long ha had to wait?

#42 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@Bones8677 said:

@Grissefar said:
Here you go.

I think you are kinda missing the point here. The exhibition works as a whole. The pieces individually only have meaning because they were part of that exhibition. It's the same difference between buying an album at a shop and seeing the band play live.

I was trying to figure out how to address that dude, but you've made a very good point, Sweep.  
#43 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

In additon to the other good defenses of this art I've seen posted in the thread, I'll add this.  The art buying community doesn't tend to let complete outsiders just jump in and sell trash as art for scads of dough.  Bob Ebendorf literally uses trash to make jewelry but make no mistake he's a master silversmith.  Marchel Duchamp pretty much invented the idea when he used a urinal as an installation.  But he was well estabilshed by then. 
#44 Edited by Sparklykiss (1934 posts) -

Some of these were pretty humorous, and I like the exhibit as a whole. Granted, I probably wouldn't rush in to purchase anything. It's still nice to just look a-Oh my goodness.

IS THAT TOTORO AT 2:11? WHERE IS MY WALLET?

#45 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1765 posts) -

Wow, the show looked awesome. I want Totoro.

#46 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -
@DeeGee said:

You do dinosaur drawings?! How much will you sell me one for?!
#47 Posted by Snipper138 (336 posts) -

Psssshhhhh thats not Ryan.

#48 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

Oh man, that Bill Murray and Batman were awesome.

#49 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I was watching this earlier while on skype, and my friend asked what I was watching. My other friend suggested it was Whiskey Media related, as it's all I ever really watch. I said he was wrong, and then Ryan was on the screen about 45 seconds later v.v

#50 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4515 posts) -

That was pretty good. I don't know if I fully grasped the intent behind the show but I have to say many of those pieces were absolutely flawless.

Really, really liked The Dude.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.