Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

Thank You, Mr. Davis.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

Edited By dietmango

When I saw the news, my heart sank. I was shocked. I Immediately tried to believe it was a horrible, way overdue April Fools prank someone at Giant Bomb was trying to orchestrate. And then I settled down, started at the title alone for 5 more seconds, and accepted the saddening fact: Ryan Davis passes away at 34 years of age.

I haven't been frequenting to Giant Bomb since 2013 started; Nursing school just took over my life from then on, and didn't have nearly as much free time as I had years before. Still, I do try to find just enough to catch up with a Bombcast or Quick Look. It just sucks that once I finally do get my life together and regularly lurk the Giant Bomb forums and watch Quick Looks again, I will always have the thought in the back of my mind that Ryan will no longer be there. The days imagining of me finally attending my first GB PAX panel and getting to talk to Ryan and the rest of the crew will forever be altered.

It's weird. It's surreal. Not just for that hard fact, but because I feel this way for someone I've never even met in person, let alone interacted with once or twice. But the kind of personality Ryan brings to the table is something else; you're just drawn to him, whether he's providing the community with lots of opportunities to photoshop his face in every image possible or when he's providing his wisdom about the state of the gaming industry. It's not easy to achieve that. He was blatantly honest and was very unforgiving about his opinions. That's a trait that, love it or hate it, you had to respect it. He wasn't kind nor was he an asshole; he just wasn't afraid to be himself. He had that laugh that was just as infectious as that of Vinny Caravella's. And I laughed along with him.

I can't really say Ryan has influenced me in a big way, but I'd be lying if I said he didn't...in some form or another. His deadpan-style delivery of jokes and whatnot, his style of writing, and I've since had the habit of saying "Goddamnit" in totally appropriate situations. Before Alex Navarro became my #1 favorite writer in the site, it was Ryan Davis. Out of all the staff, Ryan's reviews were the most enjoyable to read, and the ones that 'clicked' most with me. It was because of the way he wrote his reviews that gave me some motivation to keep writing my own and improve at it little by little. I just wish he could've written more.

Tears won't be shed. Not because I'm a heartless bastard or anything, but I don't think Ryan would want me mourning for him; he'd probably want us to be happy, move on, and keep supporting the site he has always supported himself with all his heart. And I will keep doing so.

At this point, I've exhausted everything I've said about the man. There are so many favorite Ryan Davis moments I want to say, but I'm sure everyone has said it at least once already. So in brief, I'll close it out with: Thanks for the laughs and the all-around awesome personality, Mr. Davis. This average, broke, still-living-with-his-parents Nursing student/duder will surely miss ya. We all will.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.