Crytek Announces Ryse, a Kinect-Enabled, Roman Era Action Title

Posted by Alex (2380 posts) -

During Microsoft's E3 2011 press conference, Crysis developer Crytek announced an all new action title for Kinect. Titled Ryse, the game takes place during the age of the Roman empire, and puts the player in the role of a soldier fighting in what looks like a massive uprising in the middle of Rome.

Narrated by someone who sounded suspiciously like Sean Bean (but don't hold me to that), the trailer showed an actor making sword swinging gestures while stabbing his way through a massive battle. It's a short trailer, which we'll have up soon [UPDATE: I mean now! Check it out after the link below!), but like most Crytek games, it does look awful pretty!

Sword swinging in motion games. Ready to do that again?

== TEASER ==
#1 Posted by Alex (2380 posts) -

During Microsoft's E3 2011 press conference, Crysis developer Crytek announced an all new action title for Kinect. Titled Ryse, the game takes place during the age of the Roman empire, and puts the player in the role of a soldier fighting in what looks like a massive uprising in the middle of Rome.

Narrated by someone who sounded suspiciously like Sean Bean (but don't hold me to that), the trailer showed an actor making sword swinging gestures while stabbing his way through a massive battle. It's a short trailer, which we'll have up soon [UPDATE: I mean now! Check it out after the link below!), but like most Crytek games, it does look awful pretty!

Sword swinging in motion games. Ready to do that again?

== TEASER ==
#2 Edited by eltrut (42 posts) -

yes?

Edit: games like this would so make the Kinect worth it.

#3 Posted by jking47 (1247 posts) -

I want fake plastic sword and shield peripherals!

#4 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

Should be lots of gut stabbing motions right. Legionare swords?

#5 Posted by blacklab (1595 posts) -

It will only run on two 360's daisy chained together.

#6 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Looks like shit because there's NO PHYSICAL FEEDBACK.

#7 Edited by Absolute_Zero (238 posts) -

I'm glad this still found a way to replace I with Y. Just like Mortal Kombat.

Also, that was the most intense living room EVER.

#8 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

Remember that game from last year that you had no idea about?  Yeah well now you ahve some fuzzy idea bout it.

#9 Posted by Bollard (5836 posts) -

Codename: Kingdoms go! 

Really was hoping that wasn't a Kinect game.

#10 Posted by Brendan (8124 posts) -

This seems like the only thing remotely interesting about the Kinect, and only if there's enough fidelity to the combat to make it more than just stock slashing at the screen.

#11 Posted by Stahlbrand (840 posts) -

Actually halfways interested in this one. So far as kinect stuff goes anyways.

#12 Posted by ryse (13 posts) -

:O

#13 Posted by Enigma777 (6058 posts) -

Consider me no longer interested in this game. At all.

#14 Posted by MacGeorge (177 posts) -

uh..... what about FARCRY3 

#15 Posted by Elyhaym (237 posts) -

Stupid title. Would honestly have to see more proper gameplay to tell if it'd work or not, but I'm not really impressed so far.

#16 Posted by Adamsons (873 posts) -

Flail at the TV harder!

#17 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Impressive looking game.. but can it be played with a controller or is it completely onrails?

#18 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

@MacGeorge said:

uh..... what about FARCRY3

The Far Cry license is in Ubisofts hands, not Crytek.

#19 Posted by Jimbo (9983 posts) -

lol @ Sean Bean

#20 Posted by Milkman (17311 posts) -

I didn't see the conference but just from the description, it sounds like Crytek could be doing better things.

#21 Posted by pakattak (210 posts) -

Is it really spelled Ryse and pronounced 'Rise'?

Face-palming alone won't cut it.

#22 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

Looks great but painful to play.

#23 Posted by Roger778 (960 posts) -

It sounds like a sword-fighting game with Kinect abilities added into it. 

I'm not really excited about it, but it could be an interesting game.
#24 Posted by Nidzumi (108 posts) -

I was looking forward to a different style of gaming by Crytek until they showed the Kinect stuff.

#25 Posted by MeatSim (10938 posts) -

Sad dog makes Rorie sad.

#26 Posted by miva2 (226 posts) -

i'm interested

#27 Posted by BillyMethers (149 posts) -
@Absolute_Zero said:

Dont you mean Crysis? (the proper word being Crisis)
It was their previous game.
#28 Posted by RobertOrri (1152 posts) -

"YOU ARE THE SCHMUCK FOR PAYING FOR THIS"

#29 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Was expecting better graphics for a crytek game.

#30 Posted by gbpackers94 (116 posts) -

That seems like it would be awesome, but I doubt it will actually work.

#31 Posted by kmg90 (417 posts) -
@Elyhaym said:

Stupid title. Would honestly have to see more proper gameplay to tell if it'd work or not, but I'm not really impressed so far.

agreed, having had some experience with the Kinect, to question its ability to be applied like this and work as shown in the trailer. All I know is that this makes me not want an Xbox rather than get one.    

I've played boxing on the connect (Kinect Sports) and if there's anything to note about it is that 75% of the time the attacks and movement were not being recognized. 

There's nothing I hate more than on rail games, the replayability is extremely limited and offers no chance of creativity and how you play the game, something most of the kinect games share. 
#32 Posted by Jackel2072 (2279 posts) -

Im not trying to hate just for the sake of it, but pretty much all the Kinect stuff looked kind of lame. most of it is on rails. the only thing i want out of my Kinect now is the interface stuff. Motion gaming in general is pointless. we are not at that level and wont be until VR is a real thing.

Please Note this is only my opinion.

#33 Posted by Scrawnto (2465 posts) -

@BillyMethers said:

@Absolute_Zero said:

Dont you mean Crysis? (the proper word being Crisis) It was their previous game.

Of course that's what he means. He's comparing Crytek's tradition of replacing a particular letter with the Mortal Kombat franchise's tradition of replacing a particular letter.

#34 Posted by Forderz (245 posts) -

Get your head checked, Alex. No way is that Sean Bean. The ONLY way I would be interested in this is it is not on rails and there is an archery component of some sort. Get on rooftops and snipe some plebs!

#35 Posted by Absolute_Zero (238 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

@BillyMethers said:

@Absolute_Zero said:

Dont you mean Crysis? (the proper word being Crisis) It was their previous game.

Of course that's what he means. He's comparing Crytek's tradition of replacing a particular letter with the Mortal Kombat franchise's tradition of replacing a particular letter.

Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks for clarifying that for me!

#36 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2398 posts) -

I looks interesting but there are too many questions at the moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.